Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

sailing for kids?

• 17-04-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭

What is a good age for kids to start learning to sail? what are the options for Dun Loaghaire?

Cheers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You're never too young to learn

http://www.inss.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cheers, I've taken courses with them before and enjoyed them.

out of interest doe the club in Poolbeg organise anything for kids? their website didnt give any info.?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

great age to start is 10-12, any younger, (unless they're planning on getting seriously into racing etc in which case kids start as young as 8) and they tend to loose interest or find it harder to grasp. I've been involved in teaching kids like this for years and having been with all age groups of kids, those that start at 10-12 end up grasping it the best.

2 weeks in the INSS is the same price as a full year in the Irish Youth Sailing Club. They also offer much more in terms of kayaking, powerboating, windsurfing etc etc. They also got a 17" yacht that I sailed down from carlingford with a few others. It's a great boat and really helps the kids progress from smaller dinghies.

It's a relaxed atmosphere and great environment. They just took on a new group of kids, but get in touch if your still interested.

www.iysc.net

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

alexlyons wrote: »
    great age to start is 10-12, any younger, (unless they're planning on getting seriously into racing etc in which case kids start as young as 8) and they tend to loose interest or find it harder to grasp. I've been involved in teaching kids like this for years and having been with all age groups of kids, those that start at 10-12 end up grasping it the best.

2 weeks in the INSS is the same price as a full year in the Irish Youth Sailing Club. They also offer much more in terms of kayaking, powerboating, windsurfing etc etc. They also got a 17" yacht that I sailed down from carlingford with a few others. It's a great boat and really helps the kids progress from smaller dinghies.

It's a relaxed atmosphere and great environment. They just took on a new group of kids, but get in touch if your still interested.

www.iysc.net

Thanks very much for that, its been a couple of years since I've out but I remember seeing the kids there. Thanks for the advice about the age of child and when they will best enjoy it.

It sounds like a nice organisation, I've always liked the approach of groups like Glenans so thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dyflin wrote: »
    You're never too young to learn

http://www.inss.ie/
    That's the truth! - I was told I started at 4 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement