Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

• 27-12-2018 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I created this thread because there is due to be alot of investment set to come in irish rail over the next few years (hopefully)
    • 250 Bi-mode coaches
    • 230 EMU coaches
    • new enterprise fleet (possibly eletric)
    • 41 new 22000 class centre coaches

The 2700 refurbishment has been scrapped
    The new bi-modes and EMUs will be of the same design
    The new 22k coaches will be to lenghten the sets which will increasing capacity and free up sets.
    Older darts likley to be retired

Eletrification to Drogheda, Maynooth, M3 Parkway and Hazelhatch.
    Quad track northern line
    Dart route Docklands-Heuston
    Reduce intercity journey times.
    Is there anything that anyone could add.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Get rid of CIE/Irish Rail before any further investment is made in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I created this thread because there is due to be alot of investment set to come in irish rail over the next few years (hopefully)
    • 250 Bi-mode coaches
    • 230 EMU coaches
    • new enterprise fleet (possibly eletric)
    • 41 new 22000 class centre coaches

The 2700 refurbishment has been scrapped
    The new bi-modes and EMUs will be of the same design
    The new 22k coaches will be to lenghten the sets which will increasing capacity and free up sets.
    Older darts likley to be retired

Eletrification to Drogheda, Maynooth, M3 Parkway and Hazelhatch.
    Quad track northern line
    Dart route Docklands-Heuston
    Reduce intercity journey times.
    Is there anything that anyone could add.

Is this a wishlist?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is this a wishlist?

Most bar quad tracking and Enterprise is at least planned

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Maynooth electrification to Heuston via Docklands and Pearse would be huge for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Get rid of CIE/Irish Rail before any further investment is made in anything?

Chucking the baby out with the bathtub never ends well you know! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

L1011 wrote: »
    Most bar quad tracking and Enterprise is at least planned

Well without quad tracking the northern line it's all just lipstick on a pig. Same delays and congestion we have now only in nicer carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well without quad tracking the northern line it's all just lipstick on a pig. Same delays and congestion we have now only in nicer carriages

exactly. of course it's doubtful that the powers that be will realise this.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

exactly. of course it's doubtful that the powers that be will realise this.

They realize it , they just don't think voters care more about that than their tax cuts...or didn't. To my delight, a recent poll showed people want public service investment over tax cuts massively, even the squeezed middle since they realize free GP care would do more for them than getting an exta 20 a week back. This has rather upset Leos strategy for making all the same mistakes we made cutting taxes too far during the tiger years just to win elections. It might finally mean some good things for public transport.

The old established wisdom in politics was economy only, that nobody cared about public services unless they were personally affected, but this is changing now esp among under 40s who are getting way more policy orientated. We might finally start seeing some of these projects now.

Makes me happy I keept (and will keep) banging this drum that people need to tell canvassers we want PS investment not tax cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the new limerick junction platform.
    Wvwn though there has been line improvment works between Newbridge and ballybrophy during the year why was there no journey time improvments in the December timetable change.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Wvwn though there has been line improvment works between Newbridge and ballybrophy during the year why was there no journey time improvments in the December timetable change.
    Thanks

Line improvement works are a perpetual feature of railway maintenance.

Without them the track standard would gradually deteriorate and speed restrictions more severe.

We have had continous welded rail (CWR) for thirty or forty years, heavy rail (54 kg/metre) on the Cork line for some years.

If you want speed increases or reduced journey times, significant rebuilding of track formation is required. Realigning/ bypassing the Curragh curves, and perhaps a direct route from Monasterevan to Port Laoise would make a difference. South of Mallow the curved track is so lengthy that it would be uneconomic to fix the problem.

• Advertisement

They are replacing track with 60kg track for smoother ride and faster journey times on Dublin-Cork line which will also improve other intercity journey times.
    Each December the JT are usually reduced by 3-5 min.
    They might wait till the new platform at LJN open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

M3 Parkway to Navan.

Otherwise what was really the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Have there been any concrete plans, drawings, costings or even aspirations for quad tracking?

Did it ever appear in a national development plan or similar?

How far north should 4 reduce back to 2 tracks?

Would each DART station require 4 platforms or would they remain as they are?

Is there room for more passing loops as an alternative?

With the massive development about to take place beside and above Clongriffin, do IE own any land where they could add a fourth platform - before it's too late?

Could they veto plans to build in the open scrubland to northwest, which theoretically could fit a spur to the airport?

Would it make sense to CPO sooner rather later, as large tracts of line adjacent land are being developed with housing at the moment.

Anyone care to pull a figure out of their arse and slap a price tag on quad tracking the northern line?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

With the massive development about to take place beside and above Clongriffin, do IE own any land where they could add a fourth platform - before it's too late?

There already is a fourth platform built, the other side of the city-bound platform even has signs and stay behind the yellow line and shelters installed on it, there just isn't any track or wiring there but the platform itself is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think major investment is due and I would love to see it happen.

I would love to see electrification start ASAP.

I would love to see quad tracking happen ASAP. Or could a 3rd line be added significantly cheaper? Peak traffic is only in one direction in fairness.

I caught quite a few trains around the Christmas period from Balbriggan to Connolly / Pearse, darts to the south side and back. So much of the infrastructure is in a bad way.

The slow running from 9am to 6pm south bound once you get into the dart area has been an issue for years. Nothing new there. What disappointed me was the slow running of north bound commuter services late in the evenings. There was no dart departures to contend with. Still my average speed to Malahide was 27-29 miles per hour over 3 late evening trains.

Ride quality is poor in general and seems well below the Cork line standards.

Why have the tracks around Connolly / Tara / Pearse never been upgraded to continuous welded rail? They look like they were last done 50 years ago (possible exaggeration). Surely they could be relaid in the evenings?

Platforms 5&6&7 around Connolly are embarrassingly dirty and old and badly need a face lift.

On a positive note. The trains were all clean inside and out.

Is there a reason that irish rail only quad tracked the line to Hazelhatch.
    Would it not be better to have 4 tracks all the way to kildare.
    I know that the DART will only go to Hazelhatch, but why.
    By not having the dart to kildare they are missing out on sallins, naas, newbridge and kildare which all have large populations.
    And it would make sense to quad track to kildare now before the line gets more built up and is harder/more expensive to get land

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a reason that irish rail only quad tracked the line to Hazelhatch.

Money!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/plans-for-liffey-bridge-derailed-by-dart-underground-scheme-1.3746924?mode=amp

Plans for a €17 million bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin’s Docklands have been scuppered amid concerns over the potential impact on the shelved Dart Underground scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/plans-for-liffey-bridge-derailed-by-dart-underground-scheme-1.3746924?mode=amp

Plans for a €17 million bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin’s Docklands have been scuppered amid concerns over the potential impact on the shelved Dart Underground scheme.

God knows there doesn’t need to be yet another excuse to delay DART Underground any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭randombar

I haven't a clue about this area so apologies but I'm just wondering with the demise of diesel etc what are peoples estimates for full electrication? Surely there would be a very long return on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

devnull wrote: »
    There already is a fourth platform built, the other side of the city-bound platform even has signs and stay behind the yellow line and shelters installed on it, there just isn't any track or wiring there but the platform itself is there.

I am always amazed the actual track was never installed. And I gather Irish Rail have never even asked NTA to fund it's installation. It would not even have cost that much to install. Also I have never even seen it's installation included in any planning for next 10 years. [But hoping for correction so if u have evidence to the contrary please let me know]. It would eradicate a fair % of the morning peak delays southbound towards Connolly I think. It might even let IE reverse the increased timetabled journey time (on Northern Suburban line in particular) since September. How IE felt they cud run 10 min Darts without a single peak time passing loop southbound from Drogheda to Connolly (60 kms) is beyond me. ðŸ™

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I haven't a clue about this area so apologies but I'm just wondering with the demise of diesel etc what are peoples estimates for full electrication? Surely there would be a very long return on it?

Reports of diesel's demise are premature.

The cost of electrification are so great, that outside of the Dublin and Belfast commuter regions, it is not economic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

thomasj wrote: »
    They were saying something similar in 2017 & 2018, and then the refurbishment plans were scrapped due to cost. It is the serious pain about the NTA ultimately deciding on funding. Customers don't seem to feature in decision making these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

tabbey wrote: »
    Reports of diesel's demise are premature.

The cost of electrification are so great, that outside of the Dublin and Belfast commuter regions, it is not economic.

The Dublin commuter region stretches across most of the eastern side of the country country now. Could we use hybrids to bridge the gaps between Belfast and Cork?

Just a few bits from recent(ish) articals
    Some seem like a wish lise by irish rail

• relocate docklands station
    •new platform 8 at connolly (suburban or terminus?)
    • quad track Heuston-Park West
    • Expanded DART network
    • up to 4tph Galway-athenry (likley includes services to dublin and limerick)
    • 2nd platform at oranmore
    • new cork commuter stations
    • relocation of waterford station
    • transport hub at limerick
    • rebuilt Galway ceannet station with 3 platforms
    • 41 new ICR coaches from 2021 which will either be all indeterminate coaches or possibly 3 new sets
    • WRC study
    • hourly service to sligo
    • 2 hourly to westport
    • double tracking to athlone
    • hourly to galway
    • new pelletstown station
    • new platform at limerick junction
    •potential leasing of class 170 or 185 from britian

Some of these ambitions by irish rail seen a like a bit of a fantasy like hourly sligo service.

One of the most likley things to happen will be expanded weeked DART and PPT services from the end of this year

I notice they have 'upgraded' the on-board announcements for DART. The voiceover track is the one from inter city services I believe.

Still cuts out mid-sentence ever other stop though.

Why would you bother upgrading if this massive flaw still exists?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I notice they have 'upgraded' the on-board announcements for DART. The voiceover track is the one from inter city services I believe.

Still cuts out mid-sentence ever other stop though.

Why would you bother upgrading if this massive flaw still exists?

Was that on the original refurbished ones or the newer Asian ones?

devnull wrote: »
    Was that on the original refurbished ones or the newer Asian ones?

One of the old ones.

• Advertisement

I notice they have 'upgraded' the on-board announcements for DART.

Does it still advise passengers to change at Dun Laoghaire for ferry services?

Advertisement