Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Options

Comments

Cool!
    might give this a shot.
    havent done anything with emulation in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's nearly worth picking an iCade up just for that purpose, get a little monitor for the display, off you go....

That's pretty much what I'm doing, the iPad 2 LCD will be the monitor (not an iPad itself, just the screen from one), and I'll have myself a handy little ultra portable bartop!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might be a way to a PI Zero powered mini Robotron cab....
    Hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Raspberry Pi 3 now available : £29.99
    http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/rpi3-model-b/raspberry-pi-3-model-b
    http://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b

First look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbsaLZyF9E
    Technical Specification
    Broadcom BCM2387 chipset
    1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
    802.11 bgn Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE)
    1GB RAM
    64 Bit CPU
    4 x USB ports
    4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
    Full size HDMI
    10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket
    CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
    DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
    Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
    Micro USB power source 5V 2.5A

Lucky I didn't order one last night!
    I have a ipac lying around and I think i have a vga/cga conver somewhere too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Seems the Pi3 is a decent bit faster than the 2.

MW1ULS3.jpg

There should be a noticeable bump when running emulators and that sort of thing. It's come at a perfect time as I'm designing a case to fit everything I'd need to hook up the Pi to an arcade machine at 15hz(using more or less the same parts in that link kerbdog shared).

Why is the multi threaded score so low for the Pi3 or is it a typo?

eddhorse wrote: »

That's in seconds, lower is better for that benchmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »

Is that section not a measure of seconds, showing the Pi3 to be significantly faster than the Pi2?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is it possible to run Plex on a Pi?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is it possible to run Plex on a Pi?

Yes, I think its called Rasplex or Raspiplex or something like that.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    That's in seconds, lower is better for that benchmark.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Is that section not a measure of seconds, showing the Pi3 to be significantly faster than the Pi2?

Ahhhh should have looked properly, thanks.

Faster is better dont ya know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My Pi3 just shipped... can't wait for it to go live in a drawer with the Pi1, Pi2 and Pi Zeros that I'll never get around to setting up.

DinoRex wrote: »
    My Pi3 just shipped... can't wait for it to go live in a drawer with the Pi1, Pi2 and Pi Zeros that I'll never get around to setting up.

Ah come on, so many quick little projects for these tasty (almost) disposable little devices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Ah come on, so many quick little projects for these tasty (almost) disposable little devices :)

With each new Pi I tell myself... this is the one... this is the one I make things happen with.

I even have a subscription to the magazine... that's how I could skip the queue for the Pi3.

Like a magPi, building a nest from his shiny trinkets!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »

I'm not as bad as yourself but have the original sitting in a drawer here too. Was looking at the Pi3 but 1GB of RAM sounds a bit scabby (even though I'd probably only use it to stream films from the pc). Will wait and see if they release a beefier version down the line anyway.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm not as bad as yourself but have the original sitting in a drawer here too. Was looking at the Pi3 but 1GB of RAM sounds a bit scabby (even though I'd probably only use it to stream films from the pc). Will wait and see if they release a beefier version down the line anyway.

I think 1GB is the max that series of SOC's can have, and they want to keep compatibility with the older Pi's. But yeah a boost in RAM is really needed in the next version for tinkerers, not necessarily the educational market though.
    And then there's the Ethernet port that's sitting on the USB 2 bus, I'd really like that to change as it can really kill the system if your pulling or pushing a lot of data over ethernet.
    But, for 35-40 euro I guess it aint bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I was surprised the Pi2 B+ only had 10/100 on board...has the Pi3 got got native gigabit ethernet no?

Myrddin wrote: »
    I was surprised the Pi2 B+ only had 10/100 on board...has the Pi3 got got native gigabit ethernet no?

It's running off USB 2, so 10/100 is the max it can handle(USB 2 speed limits).

• Advertisement

Think I'll hold off from the pi 3 B for now, would have been a much more significant upgrade had they increased the RAM and maybe gone USB3, but suppose they probably want to stick with overall compatibility with the pi and pi 2 without having to rewrite large chunks of the OS/drivers and needing all applications to be updated too.

It’s not a dramatic upgrade by any means. The built in wifi and Bluetooth will be handy for those projects that call for them(no need to be using dongles anymore).
    But for me, I generally have two types of projects for Pi’s. Ones that need as much power as possible(emulation, media etc) and ones that require the lowest possible power draw while supporting lots of sensors and hacks(remote monitoring and timelapse stations and funky nerd stuff like that).

So the Pi3, that’s my new emu projects toy, and the old A+ is still my low power champion. If the Pi Zero supported the camera I’d replace the A+ with that as the power draw is a little less, and it has the full complement of GPIO pins.
    I’ve a device called a Witty Pi running on an Pi A+ and last time I check the battery I’m using was at 95 percent after 4-5 weeks(witty pi is awesome).

TL;DR
    I hope they keep upgrading and pushing what the pi can do. But also want them to keep pushing the low end Pi’s(I want a Pi Zero 2 that’s half the size and half the power draw and has the camera connector).

I've just got my pi 2 running RetroPi (3.5, and successfully this time!), but it really is remarkable the various things that people have got these little wonder cards running!

I'd love to set one up for running security programs etc...

Any interesting projects that you have yours set to do other than emus? (I know that this is going a little off retro now though, so sorry for the OT-ness!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Used with RISC OS and booting into BASIC, just like the days of yore with the BBC Micro/ZX Spectrum/Commodore 64
    Trying to get Windows 10 running on it too. Not so keen with Windows 10 on my laptop going by my experience so far but that's nudder story/

Star Lord wrote: »
    I've just got my pi 2 running RetroPi (3.5, and successfully this time!), but it really is remarkable the various things that people have got these little wonder cards running!

I'd love to set one up for running security programs etc...

Any interesting projects that you have yours set to do other than emus? (I know that this is going a little off retro now though, so sorry for the OT-ness!)

I've got a bunch of them in home made waterproof boxes doing time lapse pics and recording temps and various other things out at sea(well, from a few meters off the beach to a few hundred meters out). I use the standard Pi cam as well as the modded one for IR. Every new one I make gets a little better and so far only one lost.

I tried to make a submarine last year. I could control it on water and get it to dive. But it never did manage to come back up :0/
    It sounds fancy, but it was basically a lunch box, some motors/servos and a few parts from an aquarium :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I tried to make a submarine last year. I could control it on water and get it to dive. But it never did manage to come back up :0/
    It sounds fancy, but it was basically a lunch box, some motors/servos and a few parts from an aquarium :)
    Low tech solution to "raise" the submarine>

Fishing Rod, and hook - if you know where it went down. And there's not too much plantlife in the water.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Low tech solution to "raise" the submarine>

Fishing Rod, and hook - if you know where it went down. And there's not too much plantlife in the water.

Ah, I was able to get it back "manually" :)
    I had/have great plans for a mini boat/sub/floating lunch box with some basic auto navigation, camera and 3G/GPRS connectivity to call home. With the 3G/GPRS shield it'd also have A-GPS, so some basic positioning.
    Anyway, a failed project, for now :)

Just for reference, RPi Models : (Couldnt remember which one i had)
    grep -e 'Hardware' -e 'Revision' /proc/cpuinfo

Hardware : BCM2708
    Revision : 000e

Pi_Family_Zero_annotated_1500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dammit!
    I have the XinMo module installed in the cab, connected to the RP2 via usb and the cab controls via the jamma connector and Retropie isn't detecting the arrangement.
    Now, Raspian is, when I quit Retropie the various Raspian based menus sees the controller just fine, but no dice in Retropie's GUI.
    Typically, plugging in a new controller gives you a brief setup menu, but not this time.
    Feck and Arsebiscuits!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Dammit!
    I have the XinMo module installed in the cab, connected to the RP2 via usb and the cab controls via the jamma connector and Retropie isn't detecting the arrangement.
    Now, Raspian is, when I quit Retropie the various Raspian based menus sees the controller just fine, but no dice in Retropie's GUI.
    Typically, plugging in a new controller gives you a brief setup menu, but not this time.
    Feck and Arsebiscuits!
    Connect up a USB keyboard and bring up the menu, chances are you just need to reconfigure the inputs for the Retropie interface

Advertisement