Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

commuter train to bray

• 08-12-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭

just curious why there is a commuter train going to bray?, i dont know where it starts but i see it passing though pearse. i can never really hear the announcements and it is the other side of the tracks from me but sounds like it only stops at certain stations. is it just to fill a gap between darts?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

It starts in Maynooth and I think the last rail census had it as one of the busiest trains during peak over a 1000 users. Not sure why it runs all the way to Bray though I'd always assumed it was done as it already had a slot through the city centre stations at a peak time so could only help by running out to Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

To park it mainly, no room for many trains to park in city center.

Both Drogheda and Maynooth operate to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

A Dundalk set also runs on to Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cheers, the Newbridge train reverses at GCD but i assume then that there isnt the capacity for the other routes? im guessing the DARTs are cheaper to use all things being equal?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Somewhere down the road, you'll probably see some of the PPT services heading beyond GCD

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    cheers, the Newbridge train reverses at GCD but i assume then that there isnt the capacity for the other routes? im guessing the DARTs are cheaper to use all things being equal?

Its parking, the ones that go to Bray stay there until 5pm. The Newbridge trains turn at Grand Canal and either head back in service or out of service and return after 4 for the evening service.

Turning the Drogheda train there would mean it needs to return to Drogheda and then return to Dublin in the afternoon so in that sense its cheaper to send to Bray however DART would be cheaper than Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its parking, the ones that go to Bray stay there until 5pm. The Newbridge trains turn at Grand Canal and either head back in service or out of service and return after 4 for the evening service.

Turning the Drogheda train there would mean it needs to return to Drogheda and then return to Dublin in the afternoon so in that sense its cheaper to send to Bray however DART would be cheaper than Diesel.

is there no storage available in Connolly or Fairview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It runs in service to Bray and returns in service that afternoon

The alternative is to run out of service back to Connolly and then in the afternoon out of service back to Bray, which isn't sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It runs in service to Bray and returns in service that afternoon

The alternative is to run out of service back to Connolly and then in the afternoon out of service back to Bray, which isn't sensible

It only runs in service from Bray because that's where it is stabled, there's no great requirement for a single direct service from Bray to Maynooth in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its full to standing by the time it leaves Lansdowne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

loyatemu wrote: »
    It only runs in service from Bray because that's where it is stabled, there's no great requirement for a single direct service from Bray to Maynooth in the afternoon.

There's 2 that run from bray to Maynooth in the evening and both are quite busy before they even get to pearse .

The first commuter train from bray to Maynooth is the busiest commuter train of the evening peak (according to 2017 census - not including DART)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i presume the units running these services don't stable to long at bray or maynooth?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

i presume the units running these services don't stable to long at bray or maynooth?

At least one does stay in Bray for the day.
    There's 2 that run from bray to Maynooth in the evening and both are quite busy before they even get to pearse .

The first commuter train from bray to Maynooth is the busiest commuter train of the evening peak (according to 2017 census - not including DART)

Passenger count before Connolly and after Pearse would tell a lot about how busy the services are. The 07.55 is very lightly loaded by GCD if anything it should be replacing the 07.45 and operate through to Bray and make the 07.55 terminate at Connolly and ease the considerable pressure on the 08.37 DART from Connolly southbound.

No. AFAIK they come empty from Connolly or pearse.

Edit: just saw jamie2ks reply, didn't know 1 stabled there. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Passenger count before Connolly and after Pearse would tell a lot about how busy the services are. The 07.55 is very lightly loaded by GCD if anything it should be replacing the 07.45 and operate through to Bray and make the 07.55 terminate at Connolly and ease the considerable pressure on the 08.37 DART from Connolly southbound.

thanks for the confirmation. i knew i remembered reading before elsewhere that one stabled for the day but i wasn't 100% sure.
    i suppose for the times it does stable it's not quite such an issue given as much capacity won't be required but on the face of it it doesn't look to good either having a unit lying idel for quite a while.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Passenger count before Connolly and after Pearse would tell a lot about how busy the services are. The 07.55 is very lightly loaded by GCD if anything.

In fairness, I have read people on twitter say that that train sits in Connolly for upto 10 or 15 minutes and some people have said the Sligo train would get into Connolly and the bray train would still be there.

thomasj wrote: »
    In fairness, I have read people on twitter say that that train sits in Connolly for upto 10 or 15 minutes and some people have said the Sligo train would get into Connolly and the bray train would still be there.

Not very often since the updated timetable. Now the mess for the first few weeks may have pushed people to change commute options and not change back.

I promised myself to look at the TT over the holiday, but as usual I forgot.

However, from the top of my head I think this is how the Bray suburban railcars operated - at least up to the llatest TT change a few weeks back :

In the mornings 1 Dundalk/2 Drogheda/1 Maynooth operate through to Bray

The first [ex DDK ] returns as 0900? BY/CN in service - it may continue on to MTH

Next 2 [DGA/MTH] terminate in Bray - held in Yard/WSDGS for 1700/1730ex Bray

Last down in the morning [ ex DGA] returns empty to Pearse Yard about 1000, splits & lies there until afternoon, when they do Maynooth turns

The 3 evening railcars from Bray are formed by the 2 lying over in the yard, plus the 1450 ? service from Drogheda - Bray.

All these sets are 8 piece.

If any of above is wrong/changed - please correct

Advertisement