Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost career wise. Advice needed.

• 23-01-2019 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi.
    Title says it all. Am currently lost in what to do career wise. I'm 25 and male. Currently self employed working as a children's sports coach. I don't mind it but I think I've realised that I don't want to work with young kids for years and years. I'm good at what I do and if I really put the work in, could make a very profitable business. However, had classes this evening and the kids were particularly trying and I came home deflated thinking I wanted a change of career.
    I know I could be at far worse types of work but I just don't think I should be wasting my time in a job, I don't love. My problem is, I don't know and have never known what I want to do with my life. Part of me is like, stick with it and make some money cos it's not overly full on hours wise but I just don't massively enjoy the work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You're still very young.
    Would you take yourself off travelling for 6-12 months and experience some other cultures and do casual work along the way?
    It would be a great life experience for you.
    Who knows you might have some enlightenment along the way as to what direction to take when you get back home.
    Do it now whilst you can!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

You're still very young. Would you take yourself off travelling for 6-12 months and experience some other cultures and do casual work along the way? It would be a great life experience for you. Who knows you might have some enlightenment along the way as to what direction to take when you get back home. Do it now whilst you can!

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to do that being honest but I suffer badly with anxiety and agoraphobia is linked to it and have never felt I'd be able to go traveling which is tough when id love to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to do that being honest but I suffer badly with anxiety and agoraphobia is linked to it and have never felt I'd be able to go traveling which is tough when id love to do it.

Sorry to hear about that and yeah I agree with the other persons opinon on travelling. You can even talk to a career officer and they'll try to come up with solutions for ya. Do you have any previous qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yes I was about to mention about a career coach too. However make sure you get one that comes highly recommendeded.
    I used one years ago and honestly I could have done the job for her. I didn't get any further insight than I already had really.
    You need a career path plan.
    And mind your health too.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Vlove wrote:
    Sorry to hear about that and yeah I agree with the other persons opinon on travelling. You can even talk to a career officer and they'll try to come up with solutions for ya. Do you have any previous qualifications?
    Thanks for the reply. I've a lot of experience working with children and level 5 & 6 qualifications in early childhood care and education.
    Yes I was about to mention about a career coach too. However make sure you get one that comes highly recommendeded. I used one years ago and honestly I could have done the job for her. I didn't get any further insight than I already had really. You need a career path plan. And mind your health too.

I get ya. I'll take that on board. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement