Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-08-2020, 14:18   #1
the purple tin

Knife and Fork, Which Hand?

Which hand do you hold your fork in when you eat?
There seems to be a divide, the older generations were always taught to use the left hand for their fork, right hand for the knife (table manners, for some reason ).
That seems to have almost died out now and most people go the other way.

Americans used to have a strange way of eating as well where they were constantly switching the fork from one hand to the other, maybe that has gone by the wayside too?

And does it make a difference if you are left of right handed?
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 14:20   #2
hynesie08

Fork in the left hand if it's anything that needs to be cut, use the dominant hand for cutting.

Bowl of chips or goujons or some bar food...... Who cares.
04-08-2020, 14:22   #3
gipi

I'm left handed, but have always used knife in right hand, fork in left. Traditional knives have the blade on the inner side when held in the right hand, they're more awkward to use with the left as the blade is on the outside.
04-08-2020, 14:22   #4
bee06

Fork in left hand, knife in right for cutting then switch fork to right for the eating.
04-08-2020, 14:27   #5
the purple tin

Why was it considered proper to hold fork-left, knife-right does anyone know? Where did that originate?
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 14:31   #6
banie01

I'm a philistine when it comes to fork etiquette.
No zig-zagging or tines down for me

It's fork in the right, knife in the left and scoop!
04-08-2020, 14:33   #7
ELM327

Knife in right foot, fork wedged between butt cheeks.
04-08-2020, 14:35   #8
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the purple tin View Post
Why was it considered proper to hold fork-left, knife-right does anyone know? Where did that originate?
Because, for the majority who are right handed, you have more precision and control cutting with your dominant hand. Less chance of the spud slipping under your knife and hitting the person across from you.
Thanks from:
04-08-2020, 14:39   #9
Dravokivich

Right handed, fork in my right hand. To me it's odd to watch people use their left hands to hold forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
Because, for the majority who are right handed, you have more precision and control cutting with your dominant hand. Less chance of the spud slipping under your knife and hitting the person across from you.
I'd rather the thing going to my face, to be done with the dominant hand. When using a knife to cut, while eating, you're leaning it against a fork anyway.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 14:40   #10
the purple tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
Lefties would have been told to do it the same way too though. It's like the nuns used to 'correct' a child years ago if they wrote with the left hand.
Thanks from:
04-08-2020, 14:42   #11
the purple tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Right handed, fork in my right hand. To me it's odd to watch people use their left hands to hold forks.

I'd rather the thing going to my face, to be done with the dominant hand. When using a knife to cut, while eating, you're leaning it against a fork anyway.
There are so many ways people do it. I never used to think about it but I find myself sneaking a peek a people's hands these days while they eat.
04-08-2020, 14:49   #12
Dravokivich

Quote:
There are so many ways people do it. I never used to think about it but I find myself sneaking a peek a people's hands these days while they eat.
Yeah, while at my brothers wedding last year, I opted for fish and was provided with an alternative knife, that seems to be specifically for fish, and designed to only be held in the right hand (holding it in the left hand, meant a very blunt unusable edge). It seems etiquette is set in such a way, that it is not just about table manners, the knife is supposed to be in the right hand.

But if I'm to be wrong, I don't get it. The other way around makes no sense to me at all.
04-08-2020, 15:35   #13
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Lefties would have been told to do it the same way too though. It's like the nuns used to 'correct' a child years ago if they wrote with the left hand.
Well yeah, left handed people were usually made to act right handed, so they would have been expected to use their cutlery the right handed way.

Latin for left is “sinistram”, where the word “sinister” (evil or suspicious) comes from. Left handedness was actively discouraged, so the fact that they weren’t using their dominant hand for the knife wasn’t considered.

Personally I do it the US way: fork in left, knife in right to chop the food, then fork in right to eat it. Unless I was at a formal or business meal, where I’d make an effort to do it right. And would try to hold off on drenching everything in ketchup.

Last edited by Gregor Samsa; 04-08-2020 at 18:33.
Thanks from:
04-08-2020, 15:37   #14
Mitch Connor

Fork left hand, Knife right hand, and I would move my drink to my left as well.

I'm right handed.
Thanks from:
04-08-2020, 15:37   #15
biko
Arbiter

Knife in this hand *lifts hand*, and fork in this hand *lifts other hand*.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion