Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-09-2020, 19:26   #1
SlowMotion321

Explain to me please...

Whataboutery
Cancel culture

For various reasons (not prison) I took myself offline the guts of 10 years ago (other than checking my email in the local library). But with the current situation and being in a risk category I decided to get the internet in my home again and re upped on boards as I have very little social contact at the moment, I find myself a little at a loss at some of the current vernacular. Someone accused me of whataboutery on a thread and I honestly didn't know how to respond as I didn't know what they meant, I am a reasonably intelligent upright vertical and can usually figure out what someone is talking about but sometimes I am stumped! I suppose its a case of being afraid to ask an obvious question for fear of looking stupid or a n00b! Which some of the older posters who recognize my name will attest I am not, just massively out of touch! Feel free to add / ask other terms like wtf is IIRC?

As a former teacher I am asking educate me!

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers!
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 19:27   #2
JasonStatham

Get urself onto urban dictionary.
03-09-2020, 19:29   #3
frozenfrozen

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Whataboutery+meaning

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cancel+culture+meaning

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=IIRC+meaning
03-09-2020, 19:30   #4
SlowMotion321

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStatham View Post
Get urself onto urban dictionary.
Would rather have a discussion TBH! (Big fan of yours by the way, transporter ftw!)
(3) thanks from:
03-09-2020, 19:34   #5
Infernal Racket

10 years away? Damn Boomer, you have a lot of catching up to do..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 19:34   #6
SlowMotion321

Was more interested in how, why these terms come about and the reason for them! Never mind!
03-09-2020, 19:36   #7
SlowMotion321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Racket View Post
10 years away? Damn Boomer, you have a lot of catching up to do..
Indeed, it feels like a very different place than when I left it!
03-09-2020, 19:41   #8
Kivaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotion321 View Post
Whataboutery
Cancel culture

As a former teacher I am asking educate me!
Runaway. Runaway.
You made a mistake coming back.
Life is much better in the abyss.
(3) thanks from:
03-09-2020, 19:47   #9
SlowMotion321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivaro View Post
Life is much better in the abyss.
Unfortunately when I looked into it, it looked back at me!
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 19:47   #10
Errashareesh

I like "whataboutery" - I think it's a neat description for whining "but what about the other thing" when something is being discussed. They could start a thread about it but seemingly they prefer derailing another discussion and attempting to deflect from it/gas-light the participants in the discussion. Ulster loyalists are unreal for it - actually any anti republican/anti nationalist types.

Another example of it is "If you reversed the genders, blah blah".

"Cancel" though - I don't get the misuse of that word lately. I mean, I know what it implies but it's the incorrect word. Cancelling something is abandoning it or eliminating/discontinuing it. Not a backlash against a public figure. "Censor" is surely the more apt term?
03-09-2020, 20:10   #11
SlowMotion321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errashareesh View Post
I like "whataboutery" - I think it's a neat description for whining "but what about the other thing" when something is being discussed. They could start a thread about it but seemingly they prefer derailing another discussion and attempting to deflect from it/gas-light the participants in the discussion. Ulster loyalists are unreal for it - actually any anti republican/anti nationalist types.

Another example of it is "If you reversed the genders, blah blah".

"Cancel" though - I don't get the misuse of that word lately. I mean, I know what it implies but it's the incorrect word. Cancelling something is abandoning it or eliminating/discontinuing it. Not a backlash against a public figure. "Censor" is surely the more apt term?
I get it now, the poster was implying I was going off topic! Should have just said that! Still confused about this cancel culture thing though! Tend to agree with your point about it! People should use the right words for the right points not just what sounds cool
Thanks from:
03-09-2020, 20:14   #12
frozenfrozen

cancel culture is cancelling someone. As in a comedian recently who previously allegedly did some sexual harassment is now cancelled insofar as they'll never get booked for a comedy gig again. Their career is cancelled
Thanks from:
03-09-2020, 20:15   #13
Airyfairy12

No one says Noob anymore, nor do they spell words with numbers.

Regarding cancel culture -
Currently theres a trend or culture amongst extreme 'Left' social democratic people, mostly young (under 40).
Like any political or social movement there are extremes on either side, an extreme right movement ideation includes anti immigration, racist, homophobic, sexist and very rigid in their views. In response to this there has been a movement of mostly younger generation of people who are extreme left in their views, examples of left views include acceptance of difference ie race, gender identity, sexual orientation, workers rights, human rights..
All sounds well and good except the extreme left are as equally rigid in their views as the extreme right and anyone, particularly public figures, who don't agree with their views or behave, dress or speak in such a way that it may undermine or go against the views of the extreme left, online social media is used by these groups to collectively attack and publicly shame the person/company/business or whatever theyre in disagreement with, the goal is to have the company/celeb/whoever it is to change their ways and conform to the lefts agenda or risk losing their status/money/power.

Some of it is positive as they brought the extreme views of racists, homophobes and sexists to public attention which over time created awareness of everyday discrimination. Without this I dont think we would have won the right to abortion, gay marriage would unlikely have been legalised for many years, other positive examples include improved conditions for factory workers in sweatshops in Asian countries. Currently Ponhub is experiencing a small amount of 'cancel culture' due to rape victims having their rapes posted on the website which refuses to take them down. - In this instance, cancel culture could have a very positive impact.

Last edited by Airyfairy12; 03-09-2020 at 20:21.
(3) thanks from:
03-09-2020, 20:21   #14
SlowMotion321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airyfairy12 View Post
No one says Noob anymore, nor do they spell words with numbers.

Regarding cancel culture -
Currently theres a trend or culture amongst extreme 'Left' social democratic people, mostly young (under 40).
Like any political or social movement there are extremes on either side, an extreme right movement ideation includes anti immigration, racist, homophobic, sexist and very rigid in their views. In response to this there has been a movement of mostly younger generation of people who are extreme left in their views, examples of left views include acceptance of difference ie race, gender identity, sexual orientation, workers rights, human rights..
All sounds well and good except the extreme left are as equally rigid in their views as the extreme right and anyone, particularly public figures, who don't agree with their views or behave, dress or speak in such a way that it may undermine or go against the views of the extreme left, online social media is used by these groups to collectively attack and publicly shame the person/company/business or whatever theyre in disagreement with, the goal is to have the company/celeb/whoever it is to change their ways and conform to the lefts agenda or risk losing their status/money/power.

Some of it is positive as they brought the extreme views of racists, homophobes and sexists to public attention which over time created awareness of everyday discrimination. Without this I dont think we would have won the right to abortion, gay marriage would unlikely have been legalised for many years, other positive examples include improved conditions for factory workers in sweatshops in Asian countries. Currently Ponhub is experiencing a small amount of 'cancel culture' due to rape victims having their rapes posted on the website which refuses to take them down. - In this instance, cancel culture could have a very positive impact.

but there's a separate group of extreme lefties that although a seemingly arguing for a good cause and for the rights of others, are in fact very hateful, forceful of their views, unaccepting of views beyond their own and extremely black and white and rigid, they often get the most media attention because their views are often so obnoxious and extreme. An example of this extremity is the recent 'cancelling' of Adele for wearing an African hair style and Jamaican bikini top at a Caribbean festival in London which celebrates Caribbean culture.
The people with these extreme views will often post comments on the persons social media, comments ranging from minor expressions of disagreement to full on abuse and death threats, they might right blogs and articles or create online videos and podcasts to express their views of disagreement with her choices. When enough of the extreme left publically express their opinions, collectively they achieve their goal of publicly shaming the person, which in this case is Adele.
That said allot of those involved in expressing extreme left views are often jumping on the bandwagon and/or enjoy the bullying aspect of public shaming/cancel culture.
TLDR
Thanks from:
03-09-2020, 20:22   #15
Airyfairy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotion321 View Post
TLDR
I shortened it just for you
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic