Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2020, 18:36   #1
JohnnyFlash

Insufferable beer snobs.

I was down West over the weekend for a few days holiday, and visited a pub on the Friday night as it has a good reputation for seafood.

No ordering at the bar these days, so some dork with a ginger beard and a load of tattoos came down to take our order. I asked for a dozen oysters to start, and a pint of Guinness. 'We have an excellent selections of stouts and porters in the bottle, as well as our own house stout if you'd prefer that instead', he said upon hearing my order.

'No you're grand, dude', I answered back.

'I can bring down a sample if you like. It's much more flavoursome than Guinness'.

'Grand so', I said, 'but make sure the Guinness is a decent pint as I'm rasping here with the thirst'.

Down comes my pint of Guinness, and I horse it into me like it's my last. Eventually a sample of their own house stout arrives down with my oysters. It tastes like bovril, cabbage water, and what I'd imagine a fungal toe infection tastes like. Disgusting.

Why do beer snobs always want to push their overpriced muck on punters? Like there's a few craft beers I like, especially that Galway Hooker stuff, but I'll try them in my own good time. This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the past year, and I'm wondering why beer snobs just can't get over the idea that the majority of people want the beer they want?

The Guinness was lovely btw, and I polished off 8 of them within the time we were allowed stay in the pub.
Advertisement
21-07-2020, 18:37   #2
s8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
I was down West over the weekend for a few days holiday, and visited a pub on the Friday night as it has a good reputation for seafood.

No ordering at the bar these days, so some dork with a ginger beard and a load of tattoos came down to take our order. I asked for a dozen oysters to start, and a pint of Guinness. 'We have an excellent selections of stouts and porters in the bottle, as well as our own house stout if you'd prefer that instead', he said upon hearing my order.

'No you're grand, dude', I answered back.

'I can bring down a sample if you like. It's much more flavoursome than Guinness'.

'Grand so', I said, 'but make sure the Guinness is a decent pint as I'm rasping here with the thirst'.

Down comes my pint of Guinness, and I horse it into me like it's my last. Eventually a sample of their own house stout arrives down with my oysters. It tastes like bovril, cabbage water, and what I'd imagine a fungal toe infection tastes like. Disgusting.

Why do beer snobs always want to push their overpriced muck on punters? Like there's a few craft beers I like, especially that Galway Hooker stuff, but I'll try them in my own good time. This is the second time something like this has happened to me in the past year, and I'm wondering why beer snobs just can't get over the idea that the majority of people want the beer they want?

The Guinness was lovely btw, and I polished off 8 of them within the time we were allowed stay in the pub.

you sound like quite the connoisseur. Just the 8 was it ??
(83) thanks from:
00sully, Aglomerado, Alicano, AtomicHorror, Banana Republic., BeerNut, ben.schlomo, bennyineire, Berties_Horse, Big Ears, Bio Mech, BK92, ch20, Church on Tuesday, colm_mcm, croker99, DavidLyons_, Del.Monte, dirkmeister, Doctor Jimbob, dominatinMC, dots03, earlyevening, Eathrin, Fergality, FionnK86, Fonelovin'dude, frag420, Freedomjerkoff, Gaoth Laidir, Gentleman Off The Pitch, GingerLily, golondrinas, grimm2005, HalloweenJack, HopsAndJumps, Ipso, irishguitarlad, jackwigan, JamBur, jimmycrackcorm, JMNolan, JupiterKid, KiKi III, lee_baby_simms, listermint, Lord Glentoran, maebee, Mickeroo, MicksJaguar, MOH, Mr Magnolia, Muppet Man, musiknonstop, ohnonotgmail, ongarite, Osborne, Outlaw Pete, paw patrol, poisonated, Randle P. McMurphy, RebelButtMunch, Relikk, Rothko, Rubberchikken, Sirsok, Squeeonline, StevenToast, sugarman, Temptamperu, The chan chan man, the incredible pudding, The Royal Scam, The Unbearables, TheValeyard, thurlesdrunk, toffee dave, Truckermal, VG31, Voodoomelon, wetlandsboy, whisky_galore, Zebra3
21-07-2020, 18:40   #3
Queasy Tadpole

Damn reading that makes me wanna go out and absolutely sloshed on a rake of pints.
21-07-2020, 18:40   #4
biko
Arbiter

I have been in your shoes a couple times Some beer hipster wanting me to try their local dishwater.
I'll take a Guinness, please and thanks.
21-07-2020, 18:43   #5
Pyr0

Send a message via MSN to Pyr0
Other brands of stouts can be nice and enjoyable but I'll always reach for a Guinness if it's available, a good crisp pint can't be beaten.
Advertisement
21-07-2020, 18:46   #7
Sky King

Well to be fair, we have beer tossers to thank for the increased variety available these days, so lets not write them off altogether.

It's thanks to eejits in startupps making manky pale ale in their bathtubs that people started drinking the stuff.

Now proper brewers like Diageo who can actually control their brewing process have taken over with the like of Smithwicks Pale Ale - it's my pale ale of choice these days - far superior to almost everything else on offer, with the exception of McGargles which have a few decent ones. Excellent, balanced taste and total consistency.

The 'local stuff' is usually made on a shoestring by unqualified morons on 10th-hand equipment and tastes like detergent. There are a few exceptions to this, but not many.
(3) thanks from:
21-07-2020, 18:50   #8
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8n View Post
you sound like quite the connoisseur. Just the 8 was it ??
No, I had 4 cans more when we got back to the Airbnb.
21-07-2020, 18:51   #9
HopsAndJumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Was the Guiness pulled at the right angle and left for the magic time period?
🤣🤣🤣

Excellent trolling.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2020, 18:51   #10
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Bit declasse to eat oysters in a month without an "r" in it.
21-07-2020, 18:52   #11
Sky King

I'd say the hoop must of been hangin out of ya the next day, lad.
21-07-2020, 18:52   #12
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
This is a real bugbear. Let the anoraks have wine, take whiskey, and even have coffee. But don't come for beer. Don't complicate it. You saw what happened with the whole Ribena Guinness debacle.

I've nothing against craft beers. Some of them are very lovely. Fine for drinking at home when you only want one or two. But when I go to a pub, the last thing I want to be doing is sipping out of a pilsner glass and acting like this beer is a fine cognac, or listening to an endless, mindless narration over every drop. It's even tedious when people do this with food.
21-07-2020, 18:53   #13
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Was the Guiness pulled at the right angle and left for the magic time period?
I don’t know and I don’t care. The pint tasted lovely, unlike the vile craft swill they were trying to push.
21-07-2020, 18:53   #14
Atlantic Dawn

There's nothing worse than experimenting with one of these beers and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth half the night. If I'm out to enjoy myself of an evening I will drink what I enjoy and feck all else.
21-07-2020, 18:54   #15
Truckermal

Ya must have had a fair Sh1te after that Johnny between the Oysters and slaughtering all those pints...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion