Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

ta that US sitcoms are morphing into one big generic sitcom.
    The actors all have the same cadence: Blah blah blah [brief pause] blah blah blah [canned laughter], repeat ad nauseum.
    I was flicking between two sitcoms recently and different characters were all using that exact same phrasing.
    Ta once you notice it you then notice it every time you watch one afterwards.

And ta that when they removed the live audience from shows like QI you realise that certain comedians are not just as funny as you thought they were.
    We are programmed to laugh along with others so you don't stick out like a sore thumb, herd mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

New Home wrote:
    I know these things, but while I'm drafting an email I end up changing the sentences as I go along and re-read the what I've written, I can sense that something's off but I only notice the errors after I've sent them.

Old age. It's all downhill from here I'm afraid..... :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

apologies, i misread your post. second guessing yourself is a curse.

No apologies needed! Besides, you confirmed that I was right in saying I was wrong, so that's all right :D
    The actors all have the same cadence: Blah blah blah [brief pause] blah blah blah [canned laughter], repeat ad nauseum.
    I was flicking between two sitcoms recently and different characters were all using that exact same phrasing.
    Wait until you notice the "eyebrows" acting technique, or that that Daisy woman in Normal People has only two expressions and that any time she opens her mouth she noda and shake her heads repeatedly (but at least she doesn't eyebrow-act).

New Home wrote: »
    No apologies needed! Besides, you confirmed that I was right in saying I was wrong, so that's all right :D

Wait until you notice the "eyebrows" acting technique, or that that Daisy woman in Normal People has only two expressions and that any time she opens her mouth she noda and shake her heads repeatedly (but at least she doesn't eyebrow-act).
    I'll keep my eye(brow)s peeled for that. I actually find noticing this stuff more entertaining than the rubbish sitcom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Duvet covers with buttons. Changing the bed linen is an arduous enough task without having to do or undo buttons on the cover. Popping fasteners are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

People. And how you can't really trust many of them.

That's why I'm annoyed at myself!!! :mad: :D

I know these things, but while I'm drafting an email I end up changing the sentences as I go along and re-read the what I've written, I can sense that something's off but I only notice the errors after I've sent them.

Tis a b1tch alright New.... I do be often 'formulating' response etc in me noggin while I'm typing, without it being 'pre-planned' ...stream of consciousness, or whatever, so instead of typing , say 'their', I often type 'there' :(:D

My TA, along similar lines: Having 2 things to do eg come home with shopping, so first might be to wash us hands, and then to turn lock on door.
    I might wash me hands, and then notice that the TV is turned off at the socket. I don't always knock off the power, but every now and then I do like the 'experts' say one should do. The TV gets an unfair rap, as I heard a comedian say once.... No one ever says you should plug your fridge out regularly :confused:

So wash (and dry hands) and then turn on TV = '2 things done' , and so I forget to lock door :o:( - it's already closed alright, but I want clean hands before I twist the lock mechanism.

Happened once. I was leaving the apt the nxt day, and thought it strange that their:) was no 'give'/'resistance' when I went to turn mechanism clockwise to unlock front door before leaving :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TA that I can't remember the last time a minister had to resign but now we may be losing our second one in a few weeks.
    TA that we voted in FF after all the damage they caused and now realise that they haven't changed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That's why I'm annoyed at myself!!! :mad: :D

I do that too but I usually catch it before I send it.

On a slightly related topic, I'm trivially annoyed that since this Covid thing came along, I've to use my laptop keyboard all the time, because I haven't been in my proper office since March which has my big monitor and keyboard that I attach to the laptop.

As a result, my big fat fingers on the small laptop keyboard is causing me to make loads of typos. :mad: There are shared desktops where I'm working now, and I had to use one briefly the other day, and it felt marvellous!! :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

2 things currently really annoying me.

1 My sons confirmation is on Sunday and the weather is supposed to be awful.

2.I bought lovely white jeans for said confirmation.And i have got my periods.I havent had them in over a year[ cause im old]and of course i get them now.

Like would 2020 just feck off at this stage.:(:(

Oh ffs dubstarr...wear a long dark cardi or light jacket over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The stupid ad that keeps popping up on google and I’ve tried everything to stop it . I don’t care about harry and megan or how they make money. I just hate seeing them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Always was like that. Apart from the good ones like Seinfeld, Frazier and Cheers the rest are the exact same . Working married man with hot wife andneurotic mother/ father in law. Kids are optional

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Oh ffs dubstarr...wear a long dark cardi or light jacket over them?

I got a lovely peach top to go with the jeans.So its real summery.

Luckily i have dressy black trousers and a nice top.But i bought the jeans especially,:mad:

dubstarr wrote: »
    I got a lovely peach top to go with the jeans.So its real summery.

Luckily i have dressy black trousers and a nice top.But i bought the jeans especially,:mad:

See how things go,at least you have a plan B...Oh to be a man.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Like any of those stupid twilight vampirey films where the two main actors just stare at each other all the time. Insert intense look etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Losing 30 euro's!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Losing 30 euro's!
    ohononotgmail keepers, Sephers weepers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People saying "leave" instead of "let" e.g. "they'll leave you go"

• Advertisement

Rusty water coming from cold tap from these latest deluges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Rusty water coming from cold tap from these latest deluges.

It's full of iron :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Very little sleep last night due to rain and thunder. Tired and cranky as hell now.

The Feedback or Appeal type Forums.

3 things:

*Able to link posts = x from me
    * Multiquote = same
    *Argue like a Lawyer = same :D

Waste of time to even entertain going there posting :( :pac: :D

And the inspiration for this TA

Some threads do have a very narrow 'scope' - not much 'deviation' allowed, like what's allowed in others, like broadening the original discussion.

And 'Sacred Cows' too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Waiting for a package to be delivered between 11 and 12 today. No sign of it. Checked the tracker for the umpteen time, only to see that the driver is saying that my address is wrong!?! It is the same address that they delivered to before :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Happens here too, Shelly. First line of my address can be spelled different ways. Couriers get mad at it.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Like any of those stupid twilight vampirey films where the two main actors just stare at each other all the time. Insert intense look etc.
    Don't look at this unless you are immature :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Be right back

Don't look at this unless you are immature :D

I must be very immature!! Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Antares35 wrote: »
    People saying "leave" instead of "let" e.g. "they'll leave you go"

Munster people......

Ta’d you are the only one who is ta’d by this...apart from myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Be right back

The string breaking on my disposable mask and having to buy a new one while in town!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement