Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2020, 00:36   #1
AMKC

Is the Golden Gate bridge in California overrated? It's a bridge like.

I get that it was a great piece of engineering for it's time but it's a bridge and guess what it's not even made from Gold. So is it overrated. I think it is.
In fact while I am at it the Harbour Bridge in Sydney is another overrated bridge and I have been at that bridge. In fact I walked across it 7 times and got the train once across it when I was there .
So is it overrated?

What other bridges are overrated to you?
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 00:42   #3
beachhead

How do I bridge the gap?
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 00:58   #4
gogo

The Golden Gate Bridge is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world, it’s not just a great piece of engineering, it’s a master piece of engineering.

Sydney Harbour bridge is similarily an amazing piece of engineering.

Visit a small local stream and try to imagine building a bridge over it that a 100k plus cars can drive over, when your sitting in the stream after your bridge collapses, think again about the scale of both the Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney Harbour.
11-09-2020, 01:02   #5
AMKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post
The Golden Gate Bridge is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world, it’s not just a great piece of engineering, it’s a master piece of engineering.

Visit a small local stream and try to imagine building a bridge over it that a 100k plus cars can drive over, when your sitting in the stream after your bridge collapses, think again about the scale of both the Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney Harbour.
Love it. Got a good laugh out of that thanks.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 01:04   #6
inthenip

So you weren't at the golden gate bridge and it's overrated.

It's like me saying sex with Shakira is overrated.
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2020, 01:06   #7
Atlantic Dawn

I've done the East Link 8 times.
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 01:07   #8
gozunda

I dunno - it looks kinda hot tbh.

Above fire caused by some eejit letting off fireworks at a 'gender reveal party...

Lightning apparently!

[Spoiler] Not the Golden Gate bridge

Last edited by gozunda; 11-09-2020 at 10:54.
11-09-2020, 01:11   #9
KungPao

A few good scenes around the bridge with Inspector Harry Callahan. For that reason alone, it's a fabulous structure.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 01:12   #10
smellyoldboot

It's not even made of gold either like. And no feckin gate on the thing. Shoddy out.
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2020, 01:13   #11
Agent Coulson

It's pretty cool a bitch ass long walk across it though especially if you walk back as well.
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2020, 01:13   #12
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo View Post

In fairness, if you compare the Golden Gate Bridge to the nearby Oakland Bay Bridge, you realise that although it's a very pretty bridge in a pretty location, it's just a simple, large, single span suspension bridge. The Bay Bridge is far more impressive.

The Bay Bridge was built a couple years earlier, currently carries almost a quarter million cars a day, comes in two parts, the bridge from YB Island to Oakland being over 3km long and was the longest cantilever/truss bridge in the world, it has since been replaced by a single-cable bridge which is the widest bridge in the world (and I think the longest single-cable, the one cable holding up all ten lanes is a little over a mile long). The part from YBI to SF (after a 500ft tunnel in the middle of the bridge) is another 3.1km long. Not only did it carry cars on the upper deck, it also carried trains on the lower deck, alongside buses, trucks, and some more cars.

If you're a tourist and want to see a beautiful bridge, look at the golden gate. If you want to check out engineering, go to Oakland. You can even bike from Oakland to YBI.

That said, I'm damned glad I no longer drive over that bridge.
11-09-2020, 01:20   #13
bobbyy gee

O connell bridge very overrated
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Pat_Noise
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2020, 01:24   #14
magick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post

That said, I'm damned glad I no longer drive over that bridge.
Oh I completely agree, in the few times I had to use the Bay Bridge that thing was a nightmare from Emeryville to the city, I also did some filming on Treasure Island and the onramp from Treasure Island to the Bay Bridge is a Death Trap.
11-09-2020, 01:27   #15
magick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post

Above fire caused by some eejit letting off fireworks at a 'gender reveal party...
The gender fire was in SoCal, the NorCal fires were due to a series of lighting strikes that hit the Bay Area
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion