Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insufferable beer snobs.

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I ordered a pint of Kilkenny once in Riga and I swear I was served Smithwicks.
    If it's creamy nitro like Guiness, it's Kilkenny.

You most likely were served Smithwicks. In France they sell Smithwicks as Kilkenny, because it's easier for the locals to pronouce Kilkenny. I'm guessing it's the same all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

saabsaab wrote: »
    Article about not drinking Guinness in Cork. Love if anyone had any stats on it.

https://adfx.ie/upload/files/1409818950_murphys_case_study_2014.pdf

In 2012 - Murphy’s 23.3%, Beamish 32.4, Guinness 44.3%.
    From what I can see Guinness and Beamish still top 2, Murphy’s probably declined with a few of the craft stouts I suspect picking up a share.
    Cotton Ball is a lovely pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

When I'm here, I like a Guinness lovely pint - unless I'm flying.

In UK, I like Doom Bar, wouldn't touch the Guinness over there.

Otherwise I'll drink the cheapest fizzy, chemical muck they have - Galahad from Aldi €8.79 for 12 cans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

brisan wrote: »
    The business reasons why 99% of pubs sell Smithwicks is because after 300 years the demand is still there.
    If these craft brew pubs were allowed sell Smithwicks they would
    My local sells all the normal beers and a few craft beers.
    the vast majority of pubs in Dublin are the same
    The pubs that are tied to a brewery are obviously getting cheaper beer and not passing on the savings to customers.
    I would hate to see us going like England where the vast majority of pubs are tied houses

Craft beer pubs are entirely allowed to sell Smithwicks - they just don't. Its perfectly normal pubs that have taken the Heineken deal, and a growing number of them.

Smithwicks today is not even the same product as 30 years ago let alone 300.

140 years ago, the Smithwicks brewery promoted their stouts (3 types) above their ales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

L1011 wrote: »
    Craft beer pubs are entirely allowed to sell Smithwicks - they just don't. Its perfectly normal pubs that have taken the Heineken deal, and a growing number of them.

Smithwicks today is not even the same product as 30 years ago let alone 300.

140 years ago, the Smithwicks brewery promoted their stouts (3 types) above their ales

Smithwicks does seem to be a bit different to the way it used to be alright. Thought it might be just me harder on the stomach.

Anyone remember Smithwicks barley wine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

saabsaab wrote: »
    Smithwicks does seem to be a bit different to the way it used to be alright. Thought it might be just me harder on the stomach.

Anyone remember Smithwicks barley wine?

I remember seeing it when I was a child. Sadly disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I remember seeing it when I was a child. Sadly disappeared.

True. Very tasty and strong about 8 or 9% popular if wanting one or two.

Advertisement