Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-07-2020, 10:43   #106
dotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I don’t think anyone is arguing that working on a laptop on the kitchen table is suitable long term, in my home office I have a sit/stand desk, quality large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse with I just need to make one connection to via usb-c to my MacBook and I have power, hdmi and multiple usbs incl my backup hdd. Laptop also acts as a second screen. I have a similar setup at work so if I’m at home or at work all I need is my MacBook but I can also work anywhere else too, meeting, trips etc or bring the laptop down in the evening for browsing and personal stuff on the couch.

I’d argue it’s a better setup than having a desktop.
It sounds like a good enough setup. But take a look at how much room your macbook is taking up on the desk. Wouldn't it be a lot tidier (spacious) if that was a tower under the desk? Also, do you really need a second screen if you have a large 4K monitor (i.e. 4 screens in 1)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that desktops will replace laptops - I'm just saying that laptops won't replace desktops (which people have been saying for the past 20 years). There will be people who will get by with just a laptop. Others will have a desktop and laptop, others again will have just a desktop.
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 10:54   #107
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsman View Post
It sounds like a good enough setup. But take a look at how much room your macbook is taking up on the desk. Wouldn't it be a lot tidier (spacious) if that was a tower under the desk? Also, do you really need a second screen if you have a large 4K monitor (i.e. 4 screens in 1)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that desktops will replace laptops - I'm just saying that laptops won't replace desktops (which people have been saying for the past 20 years). There will be people who will get by with just a laptop. Others will have a desktop and laptop, others again will have just a desktop.
what?
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 10:58   #108
lapua20grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?
The one in clonshaugh has Dunnes online operation in it.
31-07-2020, 11:03   #109
Wombatman

Newspapers. How are they even sold right now?
31-07-2020, 11:04   #110
lapua20grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
Especially the likes of the tabloids, rags the lot of them.
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 11:17   #111
dotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
what?
A 4k monitor is the same as 4 HD monitors (2 across, 2 down), but without any gap/bezel. From a work perspective, it's extremely handy/productive when working with multiple windows/tabs open. At other times, using the entire screen real estate for a single window (document/spreadsheet/IDE etc) is amazing. Once you go 4K, everything else just seems tiny and restrictive.
31-07-2020, 11:27   #112
Royale with Cheese

Tesla's charging network is light years ahead of anything else. If they're forced to open that up to all EVs then I can't see them staying on top, but if not they have something the rest are sorely lacking in. It might even be they switch their focus to charging, open the network up and make their money that way.
31-07-2020, 11:29   #113
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
Tesla's charging network is light years ahead of anything else. If they're forced to open that up to all EVs then I can't see them staying on top, but if not they have something the rest are sorely lacking in. It might even be they switch their focus to charging, open the network up and make their money that way.
forced to by who? they aren't a public utility.
31-07-2020, 11:35   #114
partyguinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.

Doubt it. People still need to clothes and with mass redundancies and economic uncertainly on the horizon they are well placed. I see them growing if anything.

Where are people going to go...Ralph Lauren?
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 11:35   #115
partyguinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post

I rarley see anyone under the age of 60 clutching a newspaper.
31-07-2020, 11:59   #116
xieann

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tetrarch View Post
I have four desktop PCs: 2008; 2016; 2020; and another being built.
My laptop is in a cupboard in the kitchen, and has been for a few years.
I use FOUR pc laptops

Mac mini i7 2019 although working has very u certain future.

No way to record live stereo music because my webcam hasn't got stereo and no 3.5 mm jack for recording syero on the thing.
31-07-2020, 12:07   #117
nox001

Quote:
A 4k monitor is the same as 4 HD monitors (2 across, 2 down), but without any gap/bezel. From a work perspective, it's extremely handy/productive when working with multiple windows/tabs open. At other times, using the entire screen real estate for a single window (document/spreadsheet/IDE etc) is amazing. Once you go 4K, everything else just seems tiny and restrictive.
I like to have two screens even with a 4k one as I tend to devote one to personal email, youtube/Spotify, whatsapp web, any sport i'd be keeping an eye on etc (this would be the laptop) and then the main screen would be for work though I do drag across windows for work too at times as I like to open documents in the full window even on a large screen especially for things like CAD.
31-07-2020, 12:08   #118
quokula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
They won't be forced to open up, but there's nothing stopping others from building charging networks, and as EVs become more common and the charging tech becomes more standardised the network will likely largely grow organically as they're built by independent third parties just like petrol forecourts.

Aside from that though, new EVs are approaching the kind of range that 90% of drivers will never need to charge them away from home.
31-07-2020, 12:18   #119
quokula

Quote:
Having 4 times the pixels isn't the same as having 4 times the space, unless your 4k monitor is also a massive 42" screen or something like that. You can fit four times as much information on screen, sure, but in reality you're just going to be increasing the font size or you'll really need to squint.

Most normal monitors are higher than 1080p anyway, they're somewhere in the middle - mine are both 1440p which is 2K

Having multiple screens creates natural separation between workspaces, simple things like double clicking a title bar to fill an app to the screen it is on become more complicated if you're just working with one very large screen. I don't think I could go back to working on one screen, on the odd occasion I need to it feels very restrictive.
31-07-2020, 12:24   #120
Davidth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?
It's now an Amazon Data Centre , one of quite a few in Dublin

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion