Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripadvisor's best of Ireland

• 30-07-2020 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

I was looking up some day trip ideas on tripadvisor and I found their 'no. 1 activity list' for different counties. While some of the counties were completely off the wall there were some interesting ones there too and it's good to see some attractions that actually sound fun.

So do you leave tripadvisor reviews or rely on them?

Here is a list of the top ones for some of the counties I looked at. What ones would you pick for your "best of Ireland"?

Trip Advisor's No. 1 attractions - which you do want to do? 104 votes

Donegal - Walk Glenveagh National Park
    37% 39 votes
    Sligo - Climb Knocknarea Mountain
    6% 7 votes
    Mayo - Drive Achill Island
    2% 3 votes
    Galway - Walk Connemara National Park
    6% 7 votes
    Clare - Visit Cliffs of Moher
    2% 3 votes
    Limerick - Visit King John's Castle
    5% 6 votes
    Offaly - Whiskey Tasting at Tullamore Dew
    3% 4 votes
    Cork - Visit Spike Island
    0% 1 vote
    Kerry - Walk Killarney National Park
    5% 6 votes
    Waterford - Cycle Waterford Greenway
    6% 7 votes
    Kilkenny - Visit Kilkenny Castle
    2% 3 votes
    Wexford - Visit Hook Lighthouse
    5% 6 votes
    Wicklow - Walk Wicklow Way
    1% 2 votes
    Meath - Visit Tayto Park
    4% 5 votes
    Dublin - Tour Kilmainham Gaol
    4% 5 votes

Comments

That's not the full list though, right, just some selections?

Surprised at the Offaly one. Tullamore dew? That's not even in the Top 10 things to do in Offaly. It isn't even a Distillery. Americans will vote for anything.
    Go up the Slieve Blooms, instead, or out to Lough Boora.

Surprised at Hook Lighthouse too. Wexford has a lot more to offer.

The rest of them seem about right. Would love to go to Spike Island, might pen it down for later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

That's not the full list though, right, just some selections?

Surprised at the Offaly one. Tullamore dew? That's not even in the Top 10 things to do in Offaly. It isn't even a Distillery.

Go up the Slieve Blooms or out to Lough Boora. Americans will vote for anything.

Yeah that's some of the counties, I clicked onto other ones that I didnt bother with for the list e.g. dundalk racetrack in louth.

I got Tullamore dew as no. 1 for offaly in the things to do list I got. What's on yours? But that's one I'd never heard of and it sounded interesting to me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Something I really enjoyed was taking a boat trip on Lough Derg and staying in the utterly beautiful nearby village of Killaloe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I love Achill Island. Keem Beach is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Ireland. I love the Burren too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Something I really enjoyed was taking a boat trip on Lough Derg and staying in the utterly beautiful nearby village of Killaloe.

I would add Garrykennedy and Terryglass as part of a cruise trip on the shannon. Mountshannon comes a close 3rd for great places to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

Definitely hit up Glenveigh National Park and Sliev Liagh in Donegal.... utterly breathtaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I love Achill Island. Keem Beach is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Ireland. I love the Burren too.

I think Mayo as a county is one of the most underappreciated out there. There is so much to see there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The holy stone of Clonrichert is worth a shout.

It's a Class II Relic, so you know it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can't beat Kerry for things to do and places to see.

Even luke skywalker came for a holiday to get away from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Glencar Waterfalls in Leitrim, Hill of Tara in Meath missing from list.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Would love to visit Donegal, never been.

Grew up in Killarney and will be always but no.1 for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think Mayo as a county is one of the most underappreciated out there. There is so much to see there

Agreed. And quite a variation of scenery. There’s the mountains. The offshore islands. The beautifully barren northern part of the county that is quite flat but still lovely. The sea stack at Downpatrick Head. And then Pontoon, which on a hot summer’s day doesn’t even seem like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nothing North of the Border on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

No Glendalough?

I walked the entire Wicklow Way.

First half is scenic (Marley Park). The second half is fairly monotonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

This list is woefully short and missing several counties with well known tourist destinations. It's woejus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glens of Antrim ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Would love to visit Donegal, never been.

Grew up in Killarney and will be always but no.1 for me!

KIllarney is beautiful without a shadow of a doubt, but you ain’t seen nothin til you head up to Donegal. It is breathtakingly beautiful, completely unspoilt and don’t get me started on the accents!! Let’s just say I’m in love with the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Great to see tayto park putting Newgrange, Loughcrew, etc in their place in Meath.🙄

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kilkenny Castle is probably the main thing in kk. If anyone does get good service it's really beneficial to give 5 stars for a business.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The holy stone of Clonrichert is worth a shout.

It's a Class II Relic, so you know it's good.

I actually took a spin to see it when we were down that way a couple of years back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement