Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-07-2020, 19:40   #76
Blaaz_

Tesco.....though they'll likely merge with another UK based retailer

I think a couple of irish food companies will.come under pressure as eastern european farm sectors take off and russian restrictions end with demise of putin,cant see him last another 10 years with his lifestyle
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 20:37   #77
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsman View Post
On the desktop front, I would almost see them become more popular in the near future. With people working from home a lot more, they are moving away from being hunched over a coffee table and looking for a more comfortable working environment.

A proper desk, with a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse is far superior to any laptop scenario.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that working on a laptop on the kitchen table is suitable long term, in my home office I have a sit/stand desk, quality large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse with I just need to make one connection to via usb-c to my MacBook and I have power, hdmi and multiple usbs incl my backup hdd. Laptop also acts as a second screen. I have a similar setup at work so if I’m at home or at work all I need is my MacBook but I can also work anywhere else too, meeting, trips etc or bring the laptop down in the evening for browsing and personal stuff on the couch.

I’d argue it’s a better setup than having a desktop.
30-07-2020, 20:41   #78
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyHaus View Post
Could go either way, enormous potential and vision but serious issues well documented by the FT for years now. So Elon will either be the Henry Ford of the 21st Century or its John Delorean.
Delorean without the coke but with the shoddy overpriced cars.
30-07-2020, 20:53   #79
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
So basically the entire wired broadband sector?

Not a hope.
Eir has sold off literally everything....

They're stripping anything possible, the cables will be there but eir I doubt it....
30-07-2020, 20:54   #80
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I don’t think anyone is arguing that working on a laptop on the kitchen table is suitable long term, in my home office I have a sit/stand desk, quality large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse with I just need to make one connection to via usb-c to my MacBook and I have power, hdmi and multiple usbs incl my backup hdd. Laptop also acts as a second screen. I have a similar setup at work so if I’m at home or at work all I need is my MacBook but I can also work anywhere else too, meeting, trips etc or bring the laptop down in the evening for browsing and personal stuff on the couch.

I’d argue it’s a better setup than having a desktop.
That's exactly what I do. I just use a TV monitor for my second screen along with the work laptop, and then if it's nice out, go outdoors with it or take it to another room for a break. I can't see the appeal of a desktop at all.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 20:58   #81
punisher5112

Quote:
On the desktop front, I would almost see them become more popular in the near future. With people working from home a lot more, they are moving away from being hunched over a coffee table and looking for a more comfortable working environment.

A proper desk, with a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse is far superior to any laptop scenario.

With regards An Post, I see them still being here. They have improved greatly in the online shopping world in recent years, and have the network/relationships. Will they need a government "top-up - now that is the question.
An post will also see a saving a huge one as China free post is coming to an end .. these packages cost them money and in most cases they don't get a cent.
30-07-2020, 20:58   #82
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
I'd say the Tyrrell Corporation will be big in a few years time.
True but I can't see them lasting past 2022
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 21:00   #83
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Eir has sold off literally everything....

They're stripping anything possible, the cables will be there but eir I doubt it....
Under the current owner, they've in-housed their customer care; they also own a mobile network after having sold off Eircell. They're going nowhere.
30-07-2020, 21:01   #84
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Under the current owner, they've in-housed their customer care; they also own a mobile network after having sold off Eircell. They're going nowhere.
Shame;-)
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 21:04   #85
punisher5112

Boards.,.

I'm getting banned :-)
30-07-2020, 21:07   #86
frag420

WeWork and any type of serviced office company...they be doomed!!
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 21:16   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Bathgate View Post
Rubbish. There will always be demand for latex.
They need to decide if they’re importers or exporters.
30-07-2020, 21:16   #88
Grab All Association

Quote:

With regards An Post, I see them still being here. They have improved greatly in the online shopping world in recent years, and have the network/relationships. Will they need a government "top-up - now that is the question.
Desktop and notebook sales are up by 35% this year for the first time since the peak in 2009.
Thanks from:
30-07-2020, 21:16   #89
Gamer Bhoy 89

Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer Bhoy 89
GameStop
30-07-2020, 21:21   #90
Tell me how

Think Facebooks sphere of influence will continue to move with the generations who bought in to it. Any instance where parents/children are using it is where the parents adopted it after the children had done so. How many of us would have wanted to be on the same platform our parents were using when we were teenagers/young adults? It's adds will continue to focus on politics, and then pension plans, retirement plans, cruises etc as their core demographic ages. And I reckon that the people within in know that which is why they bought Instagram to capture the next wave of interest in a hot platform.

Twitter must be kicking themselves that they took Vine so far and then abandoned it when you see the success which Tik Tok is having but I think the platform will continue as its more of a data source for most people than the broadcasting location that many see FB as.

Think Apple will still be there as, to this point, they have focused on the Apple Brand and they are still pushing the envelope in this space and appealing to younger generations. Even if their innovation lessens, they still have a large market who consider themselves Apple people and this Market will certainly be here for 10 years and beyond. That being said, Nokia fell from a similar position 15 years ago, so anything is possible.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla wasn't around to the same degree as it currently is purely because Elon Musk is possibly crazy enough to lose interest in it and because the other big car companies haven't really 'gone after' the electrical market yet in the same way as they have.

Personally I'd like to see Amazons grip on shopping lessen as there is something about them that I don't like (are very monopolistic and stories of how workers are treated aren't great) and I also think that their impact on commercial shopping districts in towns and cities is serious.
I also suspect we will see more mergers amongst large Telecommunications companies as internet platform voice calls continue to increase their market share although maybe 5G will generate new revenue streams for these companies.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion