Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big companies do you think will not still be here in a decade 's time?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is the FAI considered a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.

No - that's one bet I will not make.

The environmental thing is a concern limited to a small segment of middle class women who never shopped much in Penneys anyway. This cohort is massively over-represented in the journalism sector.

The vast majority of girls out there don't give a damn. They want cheapest clothes known to humanity; they want them here and they want them now.

Exhibit A: the covid re-opening queue videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tesla

Tesla will be far bigger in ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.

Yet on good days , both Mary St and O Connell street branches take in over a million euros each .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Could go either way, enormous potential and vision but serious issues well documented by the FT for years now. So Elon will either be the Henry Ford of the 21st Century or its John Delorean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Tesla is hard to call. It’s still very much a tech bubble company that’s only beginning to deliver serious scale of product and a lot of big, established luxury and mainstream brands will be in that space in a big way in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I notice Elon Musk's stock falling a bit- More people sort of realizing he's a complete benny. A lot of Tesla's hype is the cult of the CEO. Tesla revolutionized people's perception of the electric car but it might go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was IBM I was trying to think of. Forgot all about Gatway. I remember they had some shops in some shopping centres around Dublin too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I have four desktop PCs: 2008; 2016; 2020; and another being built.
    My laptop is in a cupboard in the kitchen, and has been for a few years.

If you have a desktop you still need a laptop where as the laptop can do both jobs.

I was using both an iMac and MacBook at work for a while there and in the end while the iMac is lovely to work on its a nuisance when you are up and down from meetings and calls etc that you can’t just undock and have all your stuff open etc but instead have to open up what you want on the MacBook etc. Same going home if you want to do some work at home you have to go opening the stuff again and worrying about conflicts on documents of still open on the desktop etc.

A large high quality screen to connect you laptop to is the job really, also have the advantage of having a second screen automatically in this way as you have the laptop screen also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tesla is hard to call. It’s still very much a tech bubble company that’s only beginning to deliver serious scale of product and a lot of big, established luxury and mainstream brands will be in that space in a big way in the next few years.

the traditional car companies are playing catch up with TESLA , regardless of whether the brand is over hyped , it has completely changed the game and put the rest on the backfoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say the Tyrrell Corporation will be big in a few years time.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you have a desktop you still need a laptop

Why? Where I work we access the system using smart cards. If I want to work elsewhere or present from my PC I simply take the card with me to wherever I need to be, plug it into the card reader there and use the keyboard and mouse at that desk. Working from home I plug a card reader into a USB port on my desktop and work away as if I were in the office. A laptop isn't needed in the office and at home I could use one but I use the desktop out of personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Tesla are an odd one, defo more in the techie cult sphere- far as I know they've never made any serious money but yet are valued more than Toyota. The brand is valuable though and has establsihed itself as a (wealthy) household name with cachet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

with the availability of endless public money easily available to most of these corporations, most of them could very well be still operational in the near future, even if theres major failures from those operations, all they would need would be a relabeling of 'systemically important', and they ll get the ultimate get out of jail free card, possibly forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Apple will be here delivering cutting edge tech.

Facebook (the social media component) will hopefully be consigned to the dustbins of history. Pure toxic and they are a couple of scandals away from being shut down for good.

yeah thats exactly what I could see bringing down Facebook. Its been obvious to everyone for several years now that they are walking a very skinny tightrope in terms of peoples privacy and data. At this point most people see Zuckerberg as disingenuous in his claims to stand up for users, we all know he is spinning like hell.

So if a couple of scandals were to hit Facebook and Zuckerberg were still CEO when it happened its not that hard to see millions of people deleting their accounts, the tide would turn on them very, very quickly. They will still remain in some form but once trust is lost its impossible to get it back. I think its only a matter of time with Facebook primarily because Zuckerberg has been telling half truths for several years now and eventually it is going to catch up with him.

He would still have Insagram and Whatsapp to fall back on but if a scandal happens Facebook his face will be toxic so at that point I could see him resigning altogether to avoid contagion spreading to his other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think so.

Tesla did quite a few things first, but it didn't do them with great quality. Now that Mercedes, Volkswagen Group, BMW, Ford, Toyota, PSA Opel, Jaguar Land Rover, Volvo-Polestar and others are producing PHEVs and Hybrids, they are doing it better and more efficiently.

Tesla cars are badly built and because they lose almost a billion euro a year, every year, their ability to invest in replacements for their Gen 1 models is limited and those cars, especially the Model S and Model X, are dating fast and don't offer the quality and luxury of a Mercedes EQ model or the newly launched Polestar 2, which absolutely spanks the Model 3 on all fronts.

Personally I think they'll end up being acquired by General Motors as a survival move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I don't think so.

Tesla did quite a few things first, but it didn't do them with great quality. Now that Mercedes, Volkswagen Group, BMW, Ford, Toyota, PSA Opel, Jaguar Land Rover, Volvo-Polestar and others are producing PHEVs and Hybrids, they are doing it better and more efficiently.

Tesla cars are badly built and because they lose almost a billion euro a year, every year, their ability to invest in replacements for their Gen 1 models is limited and those cars, especially the Model S and Model X, are dating fast and don't offer the quality and luxury of a Mercedes EQ model or the newly launched Polestar 2, which absolutely spanks the Model 3 on all fronts.

Personally I think they'll end up being acquired by General Motors as a survival move.

Those manufacturers you mentioned above are certainly not producing better electric cars more efficiently than Tesla yet nor are they selling as many.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/total-world-plug-in-vehicle-volumes/

https://insideevs.com/news/396177/global-ev-sales-december-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

I wonder where sky will be in a decade. They won't be gone, but I don't think their model will work going forward.

There's more competition from the likes of netflix, Disney+, amazon prime, etc. Those companies could also pull the rights from sky for their shows too if they can make more selling it directly themselves.

And I imagine the same will happen with sports. Plenty of people just get sky sports for one of the soccer / Rugby / golf. If they offered their product directly to you via a Web subscription for less than sky, they'd get more power customer and you'd get it cheaper.

You can see that they're trying to change their model so that people can get them via nowtv, watch the on demand stuff, package their TV with their broadband, etc. But basically, they'll have to invest heavily to compete with companies with deeper pockets than them. I wouldn't be investing in them any time soon.

blue note wrote: »
    I wonder where sky will be in a decade. They won't be gone, but I don't think their model will work going forward.

There's more competition from the likes of netflix, Disney+, amazon prime, etc. Those companies could also pull the rights from sky for their shows too if they can make more selling it directly themselves.

And I imagine the same will happen with sports. Plenty of people just get sky sports for one of the soccer / Rugby / golf. If they offered their product directly to you via a Web subscription for less than sky, they'd get more power customer and you'd get it cheaper.

You can see that they're trying to change their model so that people can get them via nowtv, watch the on demand stuff, package their TV with their broadband, etc. But basically, they'll have to invest heavily to compete with companies with deeper pockets than them. I wouldn't be investing in them any time soon.

....and the 'alternatives' market is growing quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and the 'alternatives' market is growing quickly!

We're with virgin. If it wasn't for the fact that the TV isn't all that much extra on top of the broadband, we'd just get the broadband and netflix or the like. I don't have sports because I wouldn't pay 25 a month or whatever it is fit for it. But if golf on it's was offered for 8e per month I'd happily pay it.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    We're with virgin. If it wasn't for the fact that the TV isn't all that much extra on top of the broadband, we'd just get the broadband and netflix or the like. I don't have sports because I wouldn't pay 25 a month or whatever it is fit for it. But if golf on it's was offered for 8e per month I'd happily pay it.

keep broadband, go with an 'alternative', sports is just a ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Big autoamakers are like oil tankers, they turn very slowly. But when the big Japanese, German and Korean auto makers go all-in on electric vehicles, they'll sink Tesla pretty handy. Tesla will be just a badge and people won't care they were first movers. Too much industry expertise in the big automakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Boeing.

They are in deep systemic trouble even without Covid.
    Their platforms are too old, too many complacent failures recently, their reputation is ruined and their war chest is nearly empty.

peasant wrote: »
    Boeing.

They are in deep systemic trouble even without Covid.
    Their platforms are too old, too many complacent failures recently, their reputation is ruined and their war chest is nearly empty.

plenty more bailout money there for them, cant see them sinking anytime soon

Boeing are an interesting one. Deep structural problems there, and they sidelined their engineers (who traditionally led the company) in favour of Harvard MBA-type blowhards. They screwed up big time moving many production lines down South to thumb their nose at the unions in search of cheap labour. I remember seeing an Al Jazeera exposee piece where they were literally walking into fast food outlets in Alabama and asking the people flipping burgers did they want to come and build planes. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Yurt! wrote: »
    Big autoamakers are like oil tankers, they turn very slowly. But when the big Japanese, German and Korean auto makers go all-in on electric vehicles, they'll sink Tesla pretty handy. Tesla will be just a badge and people won't care they were first movers. Too much industry expertise in the big automakers.

Lots of Huge car makers have went to the wall, todays manufacturers are no different. They're all in trouble

In the future, will I be buying an American built Tesla, a German built Tesla or a Chinese Tesla for 30K?
    Make no mistake this is a catch up game for others, Tesla doesn't even keep development licences on current engineering practices, the competition is free to look at what's current.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-german-factory-online-2020-will-revolutionize-auto-industry-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah Boeing should have been bankrupt at least a couple of times by now but the US government will always come in with a bailout cheque as they're strategically important to US military interests, its not just passenger airlines they make. Even if it was the US govt is not going to let Boeing fail as it would mean huge transfers of wealth to the EU to buy planes from Airbus.

Interesting call on Sky and yeah I can see Amazon really gnawing away at them in the next decade. Amazon have already dipped their toes into English Premier League and I can see more of the same coming down the line as Amazon pushes for new ways to sell more subs onto Prime. They have much deeper pockets than Sky when it comes to bidding for the rights. They might also offer packages so people can watch the sport they want at a reasonable price rather than Skys 40 quid a month to pay for loads of stuff you dont want.

Both Amazon and Musk are putting thousands of satellites in space to cover the globe in internet, if that eventually gets fast and cheap enough then all the main broadband companies could find themselves in trouble, at least in rural areas anyway.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah Boeing should have been bankrupt at least a couple of times by now but the US government will always come in with a bailout cheque as they're strategically important to US military interests, its not just passenger airlines they make.

Interesting call on Sky and yeah I can see Amazon really gnawing away at them in the next decade. Amazon have already dipped their toes into English Premier League and I can see more of the same coming down the line as Amazon pushes for new ways to sell more subs onto Prime. They have much deeper pockets than Sky when it comes to bidding for the rights. They might also offer packages so people can watch the sport they want at a reasonable price rather than Skys 40 quid a month to pay for loads of stuff you dont want.

Both Amazon and Musk are putting thousands of satellites in space to cover the globe in internet, if that eventually gets fast and cheap enough then all the main broadband companies could find themselves in trouble, at least in rural areas anyway.

...and is upsetting a large proportion of the scientific and astronomy communities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Starbucks hopefully. Actually I hope all the major coffee chains fold.

• Advertisement

Were it not for political conditions between the US and China, I would put down Boeing as a candidate for Chinese investment coming in, buying them and asset stripping them the next time they got into trouble (and they will). Obviously not a possibility in the foreseeable future however.

Advertisement