Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding door 3 inches off rhe ground. How do i keep it in place when sliding

• 28-11-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I've tried to repurpose an old door thwt was original to my house for our bathroom. Its on a barn type sliding rail which normally would have something in the floor to keep it true as it slides. Unfortunately the bottom of the door is 3 inches off the floor so it currently has no support.
    My thoughts are routing amd recessing a piece of t channel into the bottom inside face of the door and screwing a pin that sits insde the channel to let it slide along on.
    Im also thinking of using magnets to pull it into position when it reaches the end of its run and prevent it wobbling at the front.

So my question is is there a better option?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

2 narrow castors, 1 in each stile end, and run them in a flush faced track
    fitted into the floor. Of course tracks in the floor tend to get stuff into them.

Creating a vertical box at the closing stile also locates the door solidly.

Time for a good thinking cap methinks.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kadman wrote: »
    2 narrow castors, 1 in each stile end, and run them in a flush faced track
    fitted into the floor. Of course tracks in the floor tend to get stuff into them.

Creating a vertical box at the closing stile also locates the door solidly.

Time for a good thinking cap methinks.

K

Only concern with wheels on the bottom is that the door might pop off the top rail once all the weight is not on it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Two coppers worth:

V-groove casters mounted on the bottom of the door mated to a inverted V trac rail secured to the floor BUT not weight bearing.

OR

Ball bearing floor guide for barn/sliding doors installed at the open (housed) end.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Both seem to involve an exposed track on the floor which wouldnt be ideal.(unless I'm reading them wrong)
    I have something im fitting now that might help it.
    I'll report back with pictures

Only concern with wheels on the bottom is that the door might pop off the top rail once all the weight is not on it

Agreed, but the door weight is suspended from above, and not relying on the bottom castors to support them, moreso to guide them.

K

• Advertisement

So this seems to be "working" I'm not sure I like the astethics of it but for now its functioning.
    Its still held out a little far when its in the closed position so im hoping so strong magnets might pull it in towards the frame enough for my latch

That bracket is going to possibly wreak havoc with some poor unfortunates ankle.

Its an accident waiting to happen.

2 cents...mine.

kadman wrote: »
    That bracket is going to possibly wreak havoc with some poor unfortunates ankle.

Its an accident waiting to happen.

2 cents...mine.

Yeah that's my worry. I don't like it so definitely looking for a better way. I want it to be as hidden as possible so anything visible on the bottom of the door (Such as casters) wont work for me.

is touching toe door verboten?

Rebate a T track into the back of the door and set a bolt in the wall just next to the architrave.
    You will need to leave the T track short a bit to allow the door be fitted and engage with the bolt head

is touching toe door verboten?

Rebate a T track into the back of the door and set a bolt in the wall just next to the architrave.
    You will need to leave the T track short a bit to allow the door be fitted and engage with the bolt head
    That was my original idea in the opening post and i fear i may have to go with that. Although a piece of j chanel and a froobe routed into the underside of the dood may work also.

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    That was my original idea in the opening post and i fear i may have to go with that. Although a piece of j chanel and a froobe routed into the underside of the dood may work also.

My Doh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Could you get a wheel with a deeper recess for the rail? a stiffer join there would keep the door straighter in theory at least...

Advertisement