Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax Relief: Non-Prescription Creams recommended by Consultant

• 27-11-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife suffers from a skin condition and goes through a lot of creams and lotions which are "prescribed" by her consultant. However, they are over the counter medicines.

In total, we are spending a 4 figure sum a year on these, so we could get a reasonable amount of tax relief if indeed we are entitled.

I was looking at Revenue page on this... link

It says:
    You can also claim relief on the following if you are prescribed, referred or advised to, by a practitioner:

drugs and medicine

So would my wife's creams count as "advised"? and if so, what sort of documentation do we need to claim it?

It's tough, because given it's non-prescription nature, the DPS doesn't apply as far as I'm aware.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

The phrase "prescribed, referred or advised" relates to a number of things from the list. It could be read that:

Prescribed relates to drugs and medicines

Referred relates to physio

Advised relates to purchase a hearing aid

Part 15-01-12 which is the further guidance only refers to prescribed when setting out drugs/medicines.

However ... in the guidance relating to coeliacs, it says that as the condition is generally on-going, a letter, (instead of prescriptions), from a
    doctor stating that the taxpayer is a coeliac sufferer is acceptable. Therefore, you could make the same argument.

At the end of the day, it comes down to an interpretation of the wording. You could contact Revenue to explain the situation and see if you get the reply you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just to follow up on my own post. I asked Revenue and got it confirmed that they can be claimed as health expenses.

And thanks to Bobby, because I loaded my query with the info re Coeliacs. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

crisco10 wrote: »
    Just to follow up on my own post. I asked Revenue and got it confirmed that they can be claimed as health expenses.

And thanks to Bobby, because I loaded my query with the info re Coeliacs. :-)

Glad to hear you got the answer you were looking for and glad I could be of help :)

Make sure you remember to claim for 2016 - 2019 if applicable (claims for 2016 need to be done 31/12/2020)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you got the answer you were looking for and glad I could be of help :)

Make sure you remember to claim for 2016 - 2019 if applicable (claims for 2016 need to be done 31/12/2020)

Not sure I've the receipts for that! Oh well!

Advertisement