Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steel Kerbing

• 24-11-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Has anyone bought steel kerbing and know roughly the cost per linear or have any good contacts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Never heard of it, but it would suit a particular job I have - but wouldn't it be very slippery? (tbh I doubt I would wish to afford it).

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I've seen 100 x 6 flat bar used on its edge. Used along a path and rolled into a circle to go around trees. He had to get an engineering company to roll it.

comes in 6 metre lenghts. If you ring one of the steel suppliers they can give you a cost.

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you are ever in Kew Gardens check out the edging. Its something like 1/4 inch steel sheet and does a great job. They have always done it that way at Kew so god knows where the original stuff came from, probably blacksmith made. They did have new sections fitted a couple of years back and this link may be of some help https://www.everedge.co.uk/blog/25-km-of-everedge-installed-in-the-magnificent-kew-gardens/ seems the company will supply outside of the UK.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Frogeye wrote: »
    I've seen 100 x 6 flat bar used on its edge. Used along a path and rolled into a circle to go around trees. He had to get an engineering company to roll it.

comes in 6 metre lenghts. If you ring one of the steel suppliers they can give you a cost.

Frogeye

Exactly, thats what I'd do. Ive seen it in a garden I worked in and its so neat and tidy. Though 6mm would be on the thick side.

If i were doing it(diy) Id get 100x3mm or get perhaps 150mm depending on where its going. Id hammer in 12mm rebar in appropiate intervals along the edge, place the flat bar in position and weld in place. The rebar would only come up maybe 50/60mm so it would be hidden.
    The 3mm would be easier to bend by oneself, sweeping bends/right angles, I wouldnt chance circles around trees etc.

Ive seen steel edging online but its usually painted and very thin gauge stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

looking at that uk crowd on the post above, its flat bar with a few bits for sticking into the ground.

Rebar would do the finest as you suggest. Overlap the ends of the flat a small bit and away you go. It wouldn't cost anything like the money on the website.

100 x 3 would be a lot easier to shape as well as you say. lighter to handle and cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Not a brilliant pic, but is this what you are thinking. I put it in earlier this year. Got in Blue Steel near swords. 3m lengths and about 100*3. Easy to handle and form curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

rje66 wrote: »
    Not a brilliant pic, but is this what you are thinking. I put it in earlier this year. Got in Blue Steel near swords. 3m lengths and about 100*3. Easy to handle and form curves.

Why did you put it in the wrong way around ? :D

If the grass was at the same level as the top of the edging you'd have a lot less work to do when you cut the edges.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Why did you put it in the wrong way around ? :D

If the grass was at the same level as the top of the edging you'd have a lot less work to do when you cut the edges.
    Home owner loves his strimmer!!

Advertisement