Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance

• 19-11-2020 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am looking to find the cheapest bike to insure.....I have a learner permit, Age 50+, Dublin.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

falcof8l wrote: »
    I am looking to find the cheapest bike to insure.....I have a learner permit, Age 50+, Dublin.

Thanks in advance

Everyone's quotes will be different, do you want a sports bike, adventure bike, tourer, commuter, sports tourer?
    Do you care about cc?, what kind of riding will you be doing?, have you done the ibt?

Realistically a low value 125 or 250 cruiser will probably be cheapest.
    If you're buying a bike for cheap insurance you're doing it wrong bud.
    Buy a bike you like and will enjoy, insurance comes down with ncb and full licence quickly on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I'm almost 50, learner permit.
    I picked out a few bikes I liked, then rang a couple of insurance companies to get an idea of cost.
    Prices vary wildly. I got quoted from 520 to 900.
    A month later after I bought my bike I ended up paying 390.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 falcof8l

Hi,

IBT done. Would like a sports touring, something like a BMW K1100. A classic policy is in my head. Bike would be used for weekend leisure use.

Being realistic, that bike will attract a big premium.

Need something that I can get some experience without having to remortgage the house to pay the premium !

Hi Garlad,

What did you buy and who did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FaithPages

900e really good price. could you share some insurance companies here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There are only a few companies insuring bikes in Ireland. Give them a call for quotes. Their random number generator will give you a quote as everybodies circumstances will be different so no point in basing it off what somebody might have gotten: Age, age of bike, where its stored, location etc.

Axa
    Carole Nash
    Principal
    Liberty

Hi,

IBT done. Would like a sports touring, something like a BMW K1100. A classic policy is in my head. Bike would be used for weekend leisure use.

Being realistic, that bike will attract a big premium.

Need something that I can get some experience without having to remortgage the house to pay the premium !

Give them a call you'd be surprised how much cheaper first time bike insurance is than car insurance.
    Especially at your age, you're out of most risk categories.
    Buy an older cheaper one, older one will save you money and if you drop it you'll get over it quicker.

2 years ncb, under 30, still on a permit and ride a 600 sports bike my insurance is under €400, first year they wanted €1800. It'll drop quick enough

That’s a good deal.....dropping the bike....I hope not, but yeah, I get what you are saying !

Thanks for the pointers.

That’s a good deal.....dropping the bike....I hope not, but yeah, I get what you are saying !

Thanks for the pointers.

There's two type of bikers in the world those who have dropped a bike and liars.
    Everyone I know dropped their first bike, get crash bungs and decent bar ends.
    Honestly mate first year is the most expensive, you can buy a tourer similar but of lesser value even that you can shift next year. A lot of people do that.
    Clean bandits and fazers sv650s shift easy if ya get stuck buying something easy to insure

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Hi Garlad,

What did you buy and who did you go with?

08 Suzuki SV650
    Carole Nash cheapest by far. But you have to haggle. Don't take their first offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Mjolnir wrote: »
    There's two type of bikers in the world those who have dropped a bike and liars.
    Everyone I know dropped their first bike

Not true. Have I crashed a bike, yes, but I've never dropped one. :D

zubair wrote: »
    Not true. Have I crashed a bike, yes, but I've never dropped one. :D

Hey now don't go splitting hairs if its hit the ground its been dropped hahaha
    Was it your fault or the bikes haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Hey now don't go splitting hairs if its hit the ground its been dropped hahaha
    Was it your fault or the bikes haha

Haha.

Also, I never crashed my 1st bike, I crashed my 2nd, 3rd and 4th bike though. Still, now you know someone who didn't crash their first bike :D

zubair wrote: »
    Haha.

Also, I never crashed my 1st bike, I crashed my 2nd, 3rd and 4th bike though. Still, now you know someone who didn't crash their first bike :D

Fair play... I think ... haha I love bikers man we've such weird humour about crashes.

Advertisement