Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Membership Prices in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

normanbond wrote: »
    Am in a sorta similar position in that I’m looking to join a golf club in Cork.
    Has anyone got details on other clubs, what are the fees (yearly and if any joining fee)?
    Tnx
    Have a look at gogolfing.ie They have details on every course in Ireland by county. Usually pretty accurate with fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

normanbond wrote: »
    Am in a sorta similar position in that I’m looking to join a golf club in Cork.
    Has anyone got details on other clubs, what are the fees (yearly and if any joining fee)?
    Tnx

Covid has had different affects on different clubs all over the country.

There has been a huge increase in the number of people playing golf. One affect of this is that many clubs have taken in a lot of new members. Others, however, are taking very few new members as they struggle to cope with the increase in the numbers of existing members playing more.

I suggest that you ring individual clubs and ask if membership is open, how much any signing on fee is and how much the annual sub is also.

I would expect that most Cork clubs have a signing on fee, given the increased interest in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Blarney are doing a season membership for 2021. Paid 3 months at a time €225

Could be a good option for someone not wanting to commit long term but get a feel for a place and then decide if it’s for them

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

benji79 wrote: »
    Blarney are doing a season membership for 2021. Paid 3 months at a time €225

Could be a good option for someone not wanting to commit long term but get a feel for a place and then decide if it’s for them

Hi Benji, just wondering is this a 3 month membership or a 12 months membership just paid in 4 installments?

Thanks

Hi Benji, just wondering is this a 3 month membership or a 12 months membership just paid in 4 installments?

Thanks

My understanding is that there is a 12 month membership for €850

Or 3 month for €225

If you’re paying every 3 months then you’re free to stop anytime I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

I'm glad you came back to us.... :)

You'll only know how much you'd have to pay if you ring the office in D.G.C. Your friends can only speculate on the amount really. And you don't have to wait until January to make the enquiry.

It would be a shame if you joined another club a distance from your home, only to discover, too late, that you could have joined Douglas for less that you expected........

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Please come back and let us know how things worked out for you.

Only replying now as finally have an update. I spoke to the office after this and they actually said that had to reapply to become a full member from the u25 membership. This caught a few of the u25 members by surprise as well as myself so didn't hold out much hope for getting accepted.

There was a reduction from the full membership joining fee which was more than fair for being there only 2 years so I decided it was worth it long term for the value I will hopefully get playing for the next 40/50 years.

Thanks again to all the replies on this, they were extremely helpful as I did explore a lot of the options. I will say lots of clubs didn't reply to me when I was enquiring about membership probably due to being inundated with people enquiring but if anyone does have questions on other clubs I am happy to share any knowledge I gained.

Soundshkin wrote: »
    Only replying now as finally have an update. I spoke to the office after this and they actually said that had to reapply to become a full member from the u25 membership. This caught a few of the u25 members by surprise as well as myself so didn't hold out much hope for getting accepted.

There was a reduction from the full membership joining fee which was more than fair for being there only 2 years so I decided it was worth it long term for the value I will hopefully get playing for the next 40/50 years.

Thanks again to all the replies on this, they were extremely helpful as I did explore a lot of the options. I will say lots of clubs didn't reply to me when I was enquiring about membership probably due to being inundated with people enquiring but if anyone does have questions on other clubs I am happy to share any knowledge I gained.

Hi SoundShkin, would love to hear an update on prices that you got quoted from various courses?

Hi SoundShkin, would love to hear an update on prices that you got quoted from various courses?

No problem at all. These are the replies I got over November/ December so not sure if still 100% up to date.

Mahon - no new memberships being taken but season pass can be got.
    Muskerry - no reply despite 2 email attempts to contact
    Lee valley - 2K joining fee 1280 subs
    Cobh - 880 subs no joining fee
    Monkstown - 3k joining fee and 1k subs but if pay the joining fee up front may be a reduction in subs
    Blarney - 850 subs no joining fee
    East Cork - got back to me late and so I did not follow up but said in email that subs fee could be agreed if I rang and would be 12 months starting from when I joined.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Monkstown sub is nearly 1500 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I spoke to soneone working in the office at Muskerry 2 months ago.

No joining fee, he wasn't exactly sure if the subs but around €1200 for the year.

• Advertisement

bailey99 wrote: »
    Monkstown sub is nearly 1500 no?

For u30 I think it's 1000? That's the price I was quoted so I presume it must be due to that. I did see on their website the joining fee is now 4k as well.

Soundshkin wrote: »
    For u30 I think it's 1000? That's the price I was quoted so I presume it must be due to that. I did see on their website the joining fee is now 4k as well.

Is monkstown a championship course?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

bailey99 wrote: »
    Is monkstown a championship course?

It's held championships, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

What exactly does a championship course mean? Are there certain boxes that have to be ticked before a club can advertise itself as a
    championship course?

It's held championships, so yes.

I've held the Sam Maguire, but it doesn't mean I'm an all Ireland winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What exactly does a championship course mean? Are there certain boxes that have to be ticked before a club can advertise itself as a
    championship course?

No boxes needed at all.

It’s Marketing, pure and simple.

It’s a good way to make your club sound more exclusive and be able to charge more and makes people that are members feel good about themselves.

Big change there in Lee Valley to now have a 2k entry fee. They must have taken in a lot of new members during the year to now be in a position to charge that

Muskerry at €1,200 is good with no joining fee

Blarney with no joining fee is good for what you get at €850 when compared to other courses close to city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Big change there in Lee Valley to now have a 2k entry fee. They must have taken in a lot of new members during the year to now be in a position to charge that

Muskerry at €1,200 is good with no joining fee

Blarney with no joining fee is good for what you get at €850 when compared to other courses close to city

Lee Valley got a load of members in and it’s difficult to get on the time sheet there now. Muskerry better value now for me

slingerz wrote: »
    Lee Valley got a load of members in and it’s difficult to get on the time sheet there now. Muskerry better value now for me

Agreed, I always thought Lee Valley was an excellent option at €1,200 with no joining fee. The 2k now probably means it would really want to suit someone to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

championship course?

I also would love to know the parameters needed for a course be considered a championship course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I also would love to know the parameters needed for a course be considered a championship course

There are none, just call it a Championship course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

There are none, just call it a Championship course

OK, what I mean is I'd like to know what Bailey99 meant when they asked if Monkstown is a Championship course?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Yes indeed 'championship course' is much over used as is ' best greens in Ireland'

As a matter of interest what championship did Monkstown host.

Any latest update on memberships in Cork?

Wonder will summer be busier , quieter or just the same for golf

I’m still thinking about it for the summer. It’s hard to know what to do at moment now with everything all over the place
    I’m not sure am I better to just wait until 2022 and let everything settle down before joining a club

Lee Valley had been on the short list but the entrance fee coming back has probably scratched it off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any latest update on memberships in Cork?

Wonder will summer be busier , quieter or just the same for golf

I’m still thinking about it for the summer. It’s hard to know what to do at moment now with everything all over the place
    I’m not sure am I better to just wait until 2022 and let everything settle down before joining a club

Lee Valley had been on the short list but the entrance fee coming back has probably scratched it off

All depends on your location really. I don’t see the point in joining somewhere you have to travel excessively to get to

slingerz wrote: »
    All depends on your location really. I don’t see the point in joining somewhere you have to travel excessively to get to

That’s very true. Muskerry and Blarney are the two clubs closest to me, only 10 mins or so drive. Lee Valley an extra 5-10 mins more which is still only 20 mins roughly. Money obviously is a factor too in everything

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

That’s very true. Muskerry and Blarney are the two clubs closest to me, only 10 mins or so drive. Lee Valley an extra 5-10 mins more which is still only 20 mins roughly. Money obviously is a factor too in everything

If you're on the blarney side of the city & want a very good course that doesn't cost a fortune would you consider Mallow?

If you're on the blarney side of the city & want a very good course that doesn't cost a fortune would you consider Mallow?

I hadn’t thought of it. But yeah it’s another option. Probably I’d say 30 mins drive. I suppose as others have mentioned close is good as you’re more likely to head for a few holes even if time is tight

you are ten mins from blarney and it's 850.....no brainer.

I was a member there but moved so packed it in.

• Advertisement

Blarney seems the best choice for sure. Affordable, a lovely course and an accessible timesheet form what I have heard.

Advertisement