Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance increased after changing my address?

Options
  • 12-11-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi, my car insurance increased by €400 after I moved house from Dublin to Drogheda, I am wondering, why the sudden jump just for changing an address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi, my car insurance increased by €400 after I moved house from Dublin to Drogheda, I am wondering, why the sudden jump just for changing an address.

At a guess they'll use the " moved to a higher risk area" line... but it doesn't make sense in this case, so, its the insurance company chancing their arm yet again to try extort money out of you.

Shop around! get a better quote and revert back to you current insurer and tell them to go f..k

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

barney 20v wrote: »
    At a guess they'll use the " moved to a higher risk area" line... but it doesn't make sense in this case, so, its the insurance company chancing their arm yet again to try extort money out of you.

Shop around! get a better quote and revert back to you current insurer and tell them to go f..k

My jaw dropped after they told about the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

My jaw dropped after they told about the increase.

Just spend an hour this evening on line and you'll get a much better deal.
    Its standard practice from those thieves to try this and other similar tactics.
    make sure and let them know ( by phone if possible ) of your better quote .
    best of luck !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Same happens in Derry, noticeable increase in price between BT47 and BT48 postcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I moved 3 miles in mayo, to another town in mayo (MAYO BEING VAST AF and 3 miles makes no difference)
    200€ please and thanks from insurance.

They used the above excuse, Higher risk bla bla.

I even went as far as creating an official complaint, which lead to me receiving an automated text every few days saying we are still looking into it followed by an email 2 weeks later saying sorry but not sorry we wont be changing.

boils my pi$$ just writing this now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I moved 3 miles in mayo, to another town in mayo (MAYO BEING VAST AF and 3 miles makes no difference)
    200€ please and thanks from insurance.

They used the above excuse, Higher risk bla bla.

I even went as far as creating an official complaint, which lead to me receiving an automated text every few days saying we are still looking into it followed by an email 2 weeks later saying sorry but not sorry we wont be changing.

boils my pi$$ just writing this now!!!

The rates between address differ based on - claims in that area, parking on driveway or roadside, flood risk zone can affect the chance for the insurer to know weither there is potential to get home insurance policy of customer in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭thomas 123

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The rates between address differ based on - claims in that area, parking on driveway or roadside, flood risk zone can affect the chance for the insurer to know weither there is potential to get home insurance policy of customer in the future...

Are you suggesting there was a chance they could have said his insurance was going to go down if he moved to one of these low claim areas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A remapped Renault Fluence is clearly a theft target.

You again

Sorry FRankc21 - meant to ask, did you only change address at renewal time or did you change address mid-term. Did you ask, for example, if you were changing back to old address would it go back down?
    Any luck getting cheaper rates elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I was the same with my quotes. I live in Cabra but I selected Finglas which is only 5 minutes up the road my premium dropped €150!

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Sorry FRankc21 - meant to ask, did you only change address at renewal time or did you change address mid-term. Did you ask, for example, if you were changing back to old address would it go back down?
    Any luck getting cheaper rates elsewhere

This was mid term, i change from fiesta to fluence and then changed the address as I was moving in to drogheda. The person said the increase was not due to changing car but due to changing address from Dublin to Drogheda, I will renew it next year and see what they will give me.

This was mid term, i change from fiesta to fluence and then changed the address as I was moving in to drogheda. The person said the increase was not due to changing car but due to changing address from Dublin to Drogheda, I will renew it next year and see what they will give me.

Changing the car is definitely part of it. Fiesta 1.4 diesal is group 8 and 1:5 fluence is group 11(cars are example) therefore the fluence is more expensive. Simply ask if you change back to fiesta,as fluence felt too big, would the rate go down !!!
    I worked, I think,for your current insurer so car group and address as 2 rating factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

But only in Drawaghada

Advertisement