Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bookkeeping Course

Options
  • 06-10-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on a bookkeeping & payroll course. When I look online there are so many out there that it is impossible to know which would be the best qualification to get.

The reason for getting this qualification is to take over the books for some family members small businesses. It isn't necessarily to get a bookkeeping job.

If anybody would have any insight or advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try looking at the Accounting Technicians course, that might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gcdub85

Thanks for that Tom. I amn't really looking to do a 2 year course, would prefer to start initially with bookkeeping and then have the options for adding on modules, if possible. Don't necessary need the qualification. Would you recommend any bookkeeping courses I could start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

gcdub85 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Tom. I amn't really looking to do a 2 year course, would prefer to start initially with bookkeeping and then have the options for adding on modules, if possible. Don't necessary need the qualification. Would you recommend any bookkeeping courses I could start with?
    Would leaving cert accountancy be an option, I'm an accounting technician, but it's what I learned in secondary school I found the most valuable (we had an excellent teacher)

I actually did leaving cert accounting but it was 16 years ago and don't remember a thing as went onto do Engineering so totally lost it. There seems to be a lot of book keeping courses online but it's hard to know which are any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

gcdub85 wrote: »
    I actually did leaving cert accounting but it was 16 years ago and don't remember a thing as went onto do Engineering so totally lost it. There seems to be a lot of book keeping courses online but it's hard to know which are any use.
    I'm not sure what you should do, I wonder if you started with a short basic course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

You could try the ETB's, they may be running short courses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Years and years ago, I started with book-keeping course at night time with the local tec school,adult education.

Once that was done (already had a degree) I pursued ACCA while working in an accountants office.

The book-keeping course gave me a good grounding in the basics.

There have to be many options with vocational training courses...might be through FETAC nowadays.

Thanks everybody. I just applied for a course through FETAC so that will be a start anyway.

Advertisement