Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not really. No. I mean there is the new Assassin's Creed on both but no Next Gen-only Halo or Naughty Dog game.

Watch Dogs Legion also now launching on Nov 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Penn wrote: »
    I've finished Sekiro. Platinumed.

But I will never, ever, ever, admit to listening to Coldplay.

And yet you just did.

Tragic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel too bad about that, no one has finished Sekiro. Anyone that has claimed to is a filthy liar that probably sniffs bicycle seats and listens to Coldplay.

It's more I didn't have a lot of time at the time of release and kept getting distracted by other games. I'm thinking of making an effort at it once Hollow Knight is put to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Are there any "killer apps" for either platform on launch day?

Or even before xmas?

Miles Morales seems to be the one Sony are banking on, though it's more than likely a "Lost Legacy" style shorter game. Still I'd be happy enough if it's a similar quality to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I've always had xbox and I'm going to be on a modest budget so I'm thinking about the series S.

But one thing has got me very interested is the new Microsoft flight simulator.
    I loved Simulator x on my pc but really can't afford or justify the spend on a pc to run the new version. It is supposed to be being released on xbox at some point so I'm wondering will the series s be able to run it or maybe only a series x will be only able to handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I've always had xbox and I'm going to be on a modest budget so I'm thinking about the series S.

But one thing has got me very interested is the new Microsoft flight simulator.
    I loved Simulator x on my pc but really can't afford or justify the spend on a pc to run the new version. It is supposed to be being released on xbox at some point so I'm wondering will the series s be able to run it or maybe only a series x will be only able to handle it.

I'd imagine it will run fine at the 1080p/1440p once it launches. Whatever about dropping support for the XBO, the games have to run on both of the Series. If it becomes fractured, then it will end up a mess and will really hurt the platform as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Rumours that Demon's Souls will be a launch window title. Which mean released a few months after the console launch.
    I hope that's the case as that's all I've eyes on now.
    That and Elden Ring but that's not been heard from for over a year.

Rumours that Demon's Souls will be a launch window title. Which mean released a few months after the console launch.
    I hope that's the case as that's all I've eyes on now.
    That and Elden Ring but that's not been heard from for over a year.

I am calling it now, Demon's Souls day one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I am calling it now, Demon's Souls day one

Thye'd say it if it was. Launch window could go all the way to next year. More than likely summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Series S + Gamepass for me. Great value.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thye'd say it if it was. Launch window could go all the way to next year. More than likely summer.

Sony doesn't say anything about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have had PS since the early days of Xbox360 ring of death which drove me bananas (died during COD4). My PS4 pro is sounding like a Hoover on some games cut scenes and I am considering sitting tight until I see if the PS5 has cooling issues (it’s profile pics don’t appear to show much fan cooling at all). If it is like a Hoover then XBox it is.

I’ve had PS1, 2, 3, 4 fat, 4 pro, PS vita. XB, XB360, and there is an unused XBOne in the house also (never liked the interface and it is long forgotten).

Sony doesn't say anything about anything

We are a few weeks away so they would want to.

We do know some of the launch titles. The astro bot game (although thats included) and Spiderman. If they had anymore they would announce them.

But the world is in a volatile state so they can't be sure about third parties at the moment and even Halo Infinite fell foul of that for Microsoft.

You might be right but the fact they announced it as 'launch window' says to me you won't be playing it until March/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Maybe they've been holding back Demon Souls as a launch title to have something in the back pocket after XBox made their announcement? Maybe unlikely, if they don't announce that the same day they announce the PS5 release date and price, then yeah it's likely a few months into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

shrewdness wrote: »
    Maybe they've been holding back Demon Souls as a launch title to have something in the back pocket after XBox made their announcement? Maybe unlikely, if they don't announce that the same day they announce the PS5 release date and price, then yeah it's likely a few months into next year.

I'd almost wonder if it was supposed to be a launch title but is possibly going to be pushed back a few months due to Covid, hence why they've been non-committal about the release. Maybe thus far they haven't been sure themselves if it'll be delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Neither for me at the moment.

I have a PS4, Xbox One and Switch but also have two young kids now. Just don't have the time for gaming much, most of the time I do spend is now on the Switch, a great pick up and play console.

Reckon I'll stick with the Switch as my main console, hoover up the best PS4 and Xbox One games I don't have when they are dirt cheap and then maybe consider a PS5 or Xbox Series in a few years when they are cheaper and the kids are a bit older.

Plus with the economic uncertainty I'm trying to avoid big splurges at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

PS5 but I'm well indoctrinated in the cult of Sony at this stage and don't really have an opinion.
    I've always liked competition between the consoles stops them from becoming too complacent.

Xbox eventually but I'm happy enough with my One X for now. If it was a year older I might upgrade for 100 quid for the new warranty but I can't justify it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

For me it would have been the ps5 at launch and the xbox perhaps next year. That's how I've done it the last two generations. But this time my plans have been changed for me. I was fortunate enough to win €500 store credit with Microsoft so the plan is reversed for me. Its xbox series x at launch(hopefully) and seeing as I normally end up with a few hundred in one for all cards at Christmas a ps5 in the new year. I never upgraded to the ps4 Pro or the xbox one x so its definitely time for the new consoles to finally make use of my 4k tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

iv'e had an Xbox since the original but i'm considering switching to PS5. Microsoft really dropped the ball on exclusives this gen, too few and not enough must haves. where's the next Crimson Skies? the next Gunvalkyrie? Lost Odyssey? Jesus, i'd take another Blood Wake at this stage over the endless identical Forza's.

I'm still not going to get anything for at least a year anyway, so both companies have time to give me a reason to buy their product.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You might be right but the fact they announced it as 'launch window' says to me you won't be playing it until March/April.

I actually don't think they have even done this. I am predicting Day 1 based off of blind faith and some leaks from earlier this year or last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My biggest factor would be what console the majority of my friends are getting and that's a ps5. Playing online v people you know a big advantage.

I'll probably end up getting both eventually as I'm a bit of a new console muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'll be sticking with the PS4 for a while. I don't play that enough as is to go getting the PS5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah obviously would only be a PS5 but don't see myself getting another console. Maybe second hand when it's £200

• Registered Users Posts: 44,883 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

iv'e had an Xbox since the original but i'm considering switching to PS5. Microsoft really dropped the ball on exclusives this gen, too few and not enough must haves. where's the next Crimson Skies? the next Gunvalkyrie? Lost Odyssey? Jesus, i'd take another Blood Wake at this stage over the endless identical Forza's.

I'm still not going to get anything for at least a year anyway, so both companies have time to give me a reason to buy their product.

It does look like they are going to have a much greater number of exclusives this time around - Fable, Hellblade, Outer Worlds 2, that other RPG they teased. They've studios working on unannnounced stuff too.

Issue is all those titles are a way off, maybe even into 2022. It doesn't look like there are exclusives on launch or soon after that will be headline grabbing. Feels like Halo, which is maybe November next year (anniversary) will be the first of the big ones, a year after it was supposed to come out.

While I do think MS are trying to put the exclusives problem right, their timing is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

See? This is how you have a conversation about the different consoles (Of course it helps that everyone here is over the mental ageof 13 so no XBOX/Sony SUX :) ).

This jump isn't enthusing me as much as previous. (Maybe I'm just getting old). But I actually think it's down to the lack of focus. I remember watching this gen's E3 reveals and being much more hyped (Even if their launch lineups were just as underwhelming IMHO as this years).

I'm pushing on in years so I'm more of a single-player, RPG-type guy which is why I always stuck with Sony (And Nintendo) as I preferred their focus on RPG/JRPGs.

It will be interesting to see if MS pursue the RPG/JRPG market harder to get a bigger foot into Japan. Certainly enough for me to probably invest in the S in 2nd half of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This jump isn't enthusing me as much as previous.

Yeah, I think a few factors play into this between 2020 just being a write off, no E3 hype, games industry already under pressure from working from home. I'd have no problem if they left it til next year, get things ironed out. The reason I'm buying PS5 on launch is so I can replace my jet engine of a PS4 Pro. The PS5 has GOT to be quieter right?......RIIIIIGGHHHTTT????

Oh, and also to play Demons Souls, a PS3 remake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

See? This is how you have a conversation about the different consoles (Of course it helps that everyone here is over the mental ageof 13 so no XBOX/Sony SUX :) )… Maybe I'm just getting old…

We're all getting old. We've no fight left in us.

It will be interesting to see if MS pursue the RPG/JRPG market harder to get a bigger foot into Japan. Certainly enough for me to probably invest in the S in 2nd half of next year.

I doubt they will be with most JRPGs coming to PC I don't see why they couldn't come to Xbox as well. The big ones certainly will though, from the likes of Square enix.

They've tried to break the japanese market twice now with the OG XBox and 360. They made a half hearted attempt with the One getting timed exclusivity on Raiden V and D4 which the sent out to die.

The only japanese gamers interested in the xbox are the hardcore japanese gamers that like to play weird exotic western games.

Which kind of weirds me out. As there is probably a version of me over in japan but instead of playing weird japanese games they play 'weird' western games like fortnite, CoD and Assassin's Creed :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think my biggest gripe is aside from Cyberpunk there's no hype for next gen. When the PS5 and Xbox come out. What are we excited for? We Cod? New Assassins Creed... Colour me underenthused

Advertisement