Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix: The Queen's Gambit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I watched a Fischer v Spassky movie a while ago on BBC, it was okay but nothing great. The guy who played Spassky looked something like him. Fischer was made out to be a raving nutjob which undoubtedly he did become but I'm not sure that he was that crazy in 1972. At least, unlike most movies, they got the board the right way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I watched a Fischer v Spassky movie a while ago on BBC, it was okay but nothing great. The guy who played Spassky looked something like him. Fischer was made out to be a raving nutjob which undoubtedly he did become but I'm not sure that he was that crazy in 1972. At least, unlike most movies, they got the board the right way around.

I thought Toby Maguire was badly miscast as Fischer in that movie, but Liev Schreiber was a much closer match for Spassky. The other night I skimmed through a Netflix movie about chess in the cold war and spotted an actor playing a minor character who would have been much more believable as Fischer - in looks at least.

Advertisement