Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020 :Round 7 Belgium GP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Jaysus that was dull. When was the last good race at this track? Any in the hybrid era? Good to see Renault going better at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I think that’s me finished with f1! Might see yous in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Excellent result for the Renault drivers and team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Actually fell asleep watching that race. Shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Such a pity Gasly couldn't get a feel for the Red Bull car like he has with the Alpha Tauri. Great race from him today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Terribly boring. Renault are the team and drivers of the day.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Tifosi aren't allowed into Monza but they might well surround the track in protest to this. Some heads are going to roll after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Renault now just 3 points behind Ferrari in the constructors - chances are they'll be ahead of them by the end of next weekend so they'll be in 6th place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

I would thank Gasly for at least keeping us entertained. Great Drive from him Driver of the day for me . Good for Renault , 4+5 and fastest lap at the death .

Charles and Seb have a horrible life. How can a team be that poor at making decisions . " We are looking at B and C plan, we will get back to you" . FFS , they are a Joke . That car is awful , even with DRS Charles could not find enough speed to pass Gio took 4 attempts . There is no words for that .

Oh and the joy of Monza awaits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Max calling it as it is. Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Am I missing the point of all these tire rules designed to make things more interesting? Cos they really don't seem to be working. Everyone ends up using the same strategy 90% of the time. Surely if nearly everyone opts for the strategy of driving like grandma to nurse a set of hards for 3/4s of a race, and even then there's still some late race clenching from a couple of drivers, there has to be an alternative option where someone 2 or 3 stops on mediums and softs, pushes a bit harder and makes up the time from the extra stops?

That's a rhetorical question. Clearly that alternative is slower as it's rarely attempted. Either that or all of the teams are plugging incorrect numbers into their laptops pre-race when calculating the optimum strategy.

Trying to regain track position with softer tires already comes with an additional durability penalty from being in dirty air, so they need to bring the durability of the compounds a bit closer together whilst retaining the relative pace difference between them. Someone might try and run an aggressive tire strategy if their soft tires aren't chewing gum within 5 laps if pushed hard.

Or they could try dropping the carry over from Q2 and 2 compounds requirement. Then at least you'd have the option of trying something like triple stinting mediums and running at a decent pace, rather than sandbagging to stretch the softs you qualified on as long as possible off the start, and then sandbagging again to make meds or hards last the rest of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Max calling it as it is. Boring.

He's right. The first race of the season with Bottas, Leclerc and Norris on the podium promised an interesting season but since then it's been pretty much HAM BOT VER procession every race since. Yawnfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

If you are looking for good championship, just pretend the Mercedes and Max are not there.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The more I watch Bottas the more angry I get.

He surely knows by now he was only chosen not to be in the way . They never wanted a Nico 2.0 .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Leclerc struggled to catch a Haas for two laps FFS.

Leclerc apparently also took the same complete radio silence post race like Vettel has been doing.

Somewhere Sainz must be desperately looking for a get out clause as Seb counts down the days until he is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Wasnt the worst, perez and gasly kept it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't envey Carlos Seinz going to Ferrari. I would say if he had of known how bad Ferrari were going to be this year he would have stayed putt. Absolutely a disgrace Ferrari are at the moment.

Again another predictable race but at least it was not as dull as the spanish race. We had some midfield action here which was good Renault done great. I hope they keep it up. I predict Renault will be ahead of Ferrari in the Constuctors standings after next week.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just got round to watching that. Seriously that would put you off watching F1. Boring as ****. Terrible race.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

It's grim at the moment. The race directors feeling obliged to show Hamilton's procession on the last lap, instead of the one semi interesting scraps with albon and ocon was the cherry on top of the poop cake.

Hamilton sure is talented, but I reckon anybody would win in that car right now. Ridiculous. Am I right in thinking that the changes won't really take effect in levelling the field until 2022?

It's grim at the moment. The race directors feeling obliged to show Hamilton's procession on the last lap, instead of the one semi interesting scraps with albon and ocon was the cherry on top of the poop cake.

Hamilton sure is talented, but I reckon anybody would win in that car right now. Ridiculous. Am I right in thinking that the changes won't really take effect in levelling the field until 2022?

0 changes for next year so easy for Mercedes. 2022 will see changes but engine advantage will remain for Mercedes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was dire, pure dire.

I just seem to login to F1tv in the hope that we have gotten rain (I live in Vancouver, so I watch the races later in the day). I really have to get a better hobby at this stage.

F1 will be like this for a long while yet. A dying sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

If you ignore the first three positions, it was a good race. Renault really good and Gasly and Perez excellent. even waiting to see if Charles Leclerc would catch Vettel.

Of course, I accept that looking for action at the lead is not going to happen for the next year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The F2 was a good race in contrast right up to the end result.

F1 is now reliant on rain, car trouble for one of the top two or safety car to make the race any way interesting.

The mid field is interesting but it the camera doesn’t focus on it and honestly I don’t watch F1 to see the slower cars.

They should all have the same car. Play around with aerodynamics etc but different engines doesn’t work. Never has, never will.

At least the Camera coverage is no longer just the The guy in first swanning around on his own.

The only quick fix is for the FIA to suddenly find out the Mercedes are actually Cheating as well and Ban that engine .

All the talk from previous races and their race pace at the start of year , What happened Racing Point . Out run by Renault , Aplha Tauri & Mclaren . I know the tire choice came into affect , but still would have expected them to be much further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

They should all have the same car. Play around with aerodynamics etc but different engines doesn’t work. Never has, never will.

Surely there are enough one make or one design series already? I would have thought that the whole purpose of F1 was to allow different engines etc. In fact I think a good argument could be made to allow different engine type. F1 was more successful when there were fewer regulations on engine types.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I more or less gave up watching full races years ago, from watching every single race live, to virtually nothing, the corporatisation of the sport, has fcuked it up, just like other sports, and possibly for good

flazio wrote: »
    The Tifosi aren't allowed into Monza but they might well surround the track in protest to this. Some heads are going to roll after this.

Who are The Tifosi?

Would watching there protest be more interesting than the borefest we have to endure on track?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Interesting point re the RP. I wonder have they removed anything from their engines for fear of being investigated, and uncovering something Merc have

There’s something weird going on at RP that’s for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I wonder would an approach along the lines of "do whatever you want" shake things up?

As in, teams can decide if they want to refuel, or take a two stop or one stop, or no stop! Just let the teams have at it to do whatever suits their car and their driver best. Let them use whatever tyres they want rather than having to use two compounds.

I feel there's too many rules to follow and too many regs. What was supposed to open the sport up and give the smaller teams a chance has done the opposite. Besides, most of the teams have big investors now, gone are the days of the little teams getting by on a dime. Is there a case to bring back mid season testing?

Last night I watched the race on 30x fast forward. Besides the crash and the pit stops and one or two moves midfield, from lap 22 onwards the positions didn't change at all. I can't say I was even bored by it as I didn't even watch it properly, there was nothing to engage me. And this is "my" sport, as in, the only one I follow and has been since the Senna days. I want to stay engaged with it, but I don't see how. The pre-show is more interesting than the race (and that's saying something).

Advertisement