Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭atilladehun

That was hilarious.

As a Liverpool fan I'm well aware that Liverpool and utd are the story. Nobody cares about man city, even in their 100 point season praise was given and focus moved on.

If you're going to have a podcast that requires an opinion on football 3 times a week you're going to have to lean heavily on Liverpool and utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Another poxy mini football show. Why don't they do a proper show as was always the way and release a 15 min brief/taster of it for non subscribers? what they're at currently is the worst of both worlds. Friday & Saturday matches seem an age ago by the time Tuesday afternoon rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Another poxy mini football show. Why don't they do a proper show as was always the way and release a 15 min brief/taster of it for non subscribers? what they're at currently is the worst of both worlds. Friday & Saturday matches seem an age ago by the time Tuesday afternoon rolls around.

Ara but what really changes. The matches themselves are somewhat irrlevant. Doesn't really matter if its a Tuesday or a Friday the previous weekends matches are talked about.
    A bit of a groundhog day really - just hoping for a bit of angle or comedy/craic around the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Give non patron subscribers the mini taster show, and patron subscribers a full show. they are basically not covering the football on the weekend in order to get more subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the football is utter shoite at the minute anyway

it's so dull I'd understand if they stopped covering the premier league entirely this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Will the lads cover Hagler this week? I know they did a pod last year covering the Hagler/Hearns fight.

And while I’m here can anyone recommend a podcast or podcast episode that might cover the Hagler,Hearns,Duran era of boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not much of substance happened over the weekend football wise anyway so I'm grand with it. I mean the highlight was a fairly irrelevant north London derby.

In fact the rest of the Premier League season looks fairly predictable. The only thing up for grabs might be who goes down between Fulham and Newcastle.

At least they'll be Champions League to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You'd never know he was a pool supporter in fairness. He's been very tough on them and hasn't pulled punches the way murf does about Utd.

Rewind the clock back a few months ago in here and people were saying that Ken's bias towards Liverpool was obvious.

Had to laugh today when they read out that e-mail about his supposedly obvious bias: against Liverpool.

I'm not a fan of either Man United or Liverpool and I have never noticed a pronounced bias from any of the lads towards any team, except for the Irish football team.

I would have never been able to guess that Ken supposedly supports Liverpool if I hadn't read it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Not much of substance happened over the weekend football wise anyway so I'm grand with it. I mean the highlight was a fairly irrelevant north London derby.

In fact the rest of the Premier League season looks fairly predictable. The only thing up for grabs might be who goes down between Fulham and Newcastle.

At least they'll be Champions League to keep it interesting.

Not the point and I don't subscribe to your mindset that the league isn't interesting at the moment so give them a free pass, it's their job to make it interesting. Football show on a Monday was a staple and this change is pissing on long term subscribers in hope of drumming up new ones, which is extremely unlikely given the current saturation of Pods on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wouldn't mind a pod on Murray Walker in the near future, I'm sure they'd do a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Not the point and I don't subscribe to your mindset that the league isn't interesting at the moment so give them a free pass, it's their job to make it interesting. Football show on a Monday was a staple and this change is pissing on long term subscribers in hope of drumming up new ones, which is extremely unlikely given the current saturation of Pods on the go.

Don't you think they perhaps just thought the rugby was the bigger show from the weekend, so put out a pod on that instead? Rather than as a ploy to squeeze out more subscribers or piss on long-term supporters.

I doubt there will be too many non-subscribers scrambling to pay up to hear thoughts on Lamela's rabona. It's not like they've kept anything explosive back a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

"Lamela has scored 17 goals in 8 years. There's been weeks where that other 'cod' scored 17 goals"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

elefant wrote: »
    Don't you think they perhaps just thought the rugby was the bigger show from the weekend, so put out a pod on that instead? Rather than as a ploy to squeeze out more subscribers or piss on long-term supporters.

I doubt there will be too many non-subscribers scrambling to pay up to hear thoughts on Lamela's rabona. It's not like they've kept anything explosive back a day.

By Tuesday it’s too late to cover the weekends action. They wouldn’t have tried this new model when they were starting out. Covering the weekend football properly is essential. They can do a full rugby and football podcast on a Monday, adding an extra 30 minutes to their micro Monday podcast isn’t a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

By Tuesday it’s too late to cover the weekends action. They wouldn’t have tried this new model when they were starting out. Covering the weekend football properly is essential. They can do a full rugby and football podcast on a Monday, adding an extra 30 minutes to their micro Monday podcast isn’t a big ask.

It's almost as if they aren't a successful broadcasting team with a whole lot of experience who know what they're doing and, more importantly, what they want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭jones

I love second captains and have been a patreon since the start but i do think its ok to criticise an aspect of their model. I agree with some posters above - i don't like the football being put back a day as a marketing objective. The world moves fast and i think football should be discussed on the monday. I know they are a business and that's why they are testing this new delivery method but i don't particularly like it.

Let's be honest i think the vast majority listen to second captains for the football and i don't blame them for trying this but why not just put the whole thing behind the patreon paywall and give the freebies the little mini pod on a monday with snippets of a longer pod?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd say normal service will resume once the 6 nations is over lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I'd say normal service will resume once the 6 nations is over lads

Was coming here to post exactly this. I don’t like rugby myself but it is the 6 nations, can totally understand their move. Relax, lads.

Listening to GFW and the lads seem to be sick of football. The premier league fixtures are dragged out over friday, saturday, sunday and monday and so many games are just too boring. I don't watch many full games these days, but there's games on so often that having football show on a particular day probably doesn't seem like a priority. How often has a premier league game been on midweek that you didn't even know about untill a phone alert beeped or a mated send a message about fantasy football? All too often for me.

Having said that, I'd still rather a proper football show on monday and leave the rugby till tuesday!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dulpit wrote: »
    It's almost as if they aren't a successful broadcasting team with a whole lot of experience who know what they're doing and, more importantly, what they want to do...

Yes, they're clearly infallible and know more about their customers than their customers do about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    Rewind the clock back a few months ago in here and people were saying that Ken's bias towards Liverpool was obvious.

Had to laugh today when they read out that e-mail about his supposedly obvious bias: against Liverpool.

I'm not a fan of either Man United or Liverpool and I have never noticed a pronounced bias from any of the lads towards any team, except for the Irish football team.

I would have never been able to guess that Ken supposedly supports Liverpool if I hadn't read it here.

Just listened to it there.

Bout time Eoin MancDevitt, Ciarán Manc and Ken Eejit were called out on their phenomenal imagined anti Liverpool nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cienciano wrote: »
    Listening to GFW and the lads seem to be sick of football. The premier league fixtures are dragged out over friday, saturday, sunday and monday and so many games are just too boring. I don't watch many full games these days, but there's games on so often that having football show on a particular day probably doesn't seem like a priority. How often has a premier league game been on midweek that you didn't even know about untill a phone alert beeped or a mated send a message about fantasy football? All too often for me.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-882537408/spm-221-how-much-football-is-too-much-football

This is a really good episode on what you're talking about. Rory Smith is great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Podcasting tomorrow, Paddy's Day.

Do those lads ever take a day off...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

humberklog wrote: »
    Podcasting tomorrow, Paddy's Day.

Do those lads ever take a day off...

They never go home those boys.

Or in this case, they stay at home all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭cmac2009

They never go home those boys.

Or in this case, they stay at home all the time.

And one of the joys of staying at home is not having to deal with Eoin's repulsive gym bag odours on Wednesdays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Ah they've surely recorded it today already for release tomorrow, seems they've done that for most Fridays as well recently

There's nothing else to do tomorrow, might as well record a podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Published and all now, so I suspect (:eek:) that they recorded yesterday. Shock/horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

dulpit wrote: »
    Published and all now, so I suspect (:eek:) that they recorded yesterday. Shock/horror.

Not working for me on Podcast Addict

Couldn’t download it either, got an error on pocket casts. It’s a GAA one so I’d suspect most people won’t mind if it never reappears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Couldn’t download it either, got an error on pocket casts. It’s a GAA one so I’d suspect most people won’t mind if it never reappears.

Sure who wouldn't want to listen to a pod on the national sport on the national holiday?

Advertisement