Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Championship 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

RooksPawn: “ At the ICU agm this year, there needs to be a motion amending or temporarily suspending the normal qualification rules on eligibility for selection which specify a requirement to play a number of recent tournaments in Ireland.”

The 2020 Olympiad teams have already been chosen - though it is now scheduled for 2021. So there is no issue to be solved in that respect.

This one?

Well there is every issue Gerry!!! You are only on about one event there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

This thread is supposed to be about the Irish championship not international team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

I can't find what cdeb said earlier in this thread. He thought I was only referring to the next Olympiad. Maybe he's deleted the post.

Meanwhile the new Irish government has said that they will not be issuing a "green list" of countries for air bridges on 9 July, but will postpone this until at least 20 July. They continue to advise against inessential travel overseas.

The priority is to try to get schools fully open in September in the face of opposition from teacher unions who are acting the maggot.
    It is more important to get them onside by keeping Ireland healthy than to placate Michael O'Leary who can afford to lose more money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I've deleted nothing.

As before, is it not macelligott's post you're referring to?
    RooksPawn: “ At the ICU agm this year, there needs to be a motion amending or temporarily suspending the normal qualification rules on eligibility for selection which specify a requirement to play a number of recent tournaments in Ireland.”

The 2020 Olympiad teams have already been chosen - though it is now scheduled for 2021. So there is no issue to be solved in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I’ll give an update to bring us slightly back on track - Apologies for the delay since my last one.

Generally, the Irish has not been too difficult to put together over the past 2 years (at least the work could be spread over a year than a couple of months) but obviously this year is on the other end of the spectrum. To combat that extra work, there’s a bit more of a committee approach to things so I can’t be as certain in my answers as previous years. However, I’ll do my best.

Tentative plan:
    Guidelines are on paper and due to be published early next week, pending committee sign-off. This will include a walk-through of what to expect at the door each day - to ensure safety, anti cheating measures and a check-in for devices.

Trial games will go ahead in the middle of the month. We need to test the guidelines and walkthrough and make sure everything is actually workable (and timed out). We don’t want to turn up on August 1 and hope for the best.

Pictures of the venue and trial games will be published to give a further idea of what to expect so you are not caught unawares on August 1. We’ll tweak guidelines as necessary once those trial events are complete.

Entries: will close a week later than usual. I think we generally close two weeks in advance - in the past (the before times), people would have limited holidays to work with so would know long in advance if they’d play. This year, given the new date, lack of foreign playing opportunities and the uncertainty around very many things (and no new rating lists to worry about) - we think it’s best to be more flexible here. We’re looking at around 30 entries - not sure about norm chances but I think there is a 50-50 chance of 3-4 titled players. I haven’t done a push on the latter like I normally would as there’s just too much else to do before that - but should have a better idea by the end of next week.

Finally, Colaiste Eanna have been a massive help and the event would not be possible without them. It will probably be more clear once the walkthrough has been published and/or once you’ve seen the venue but they’ve been tireless in getting everything ready for the event and will have volunteers on the door each day to make sure it all runs as smoothly as possible. Special thanks of course go to Dave Grant whose directed their efforts.

Again, apologies for the slowness - but we’re getting there.

• Advertisement

sodacat11 wrote: »
    This thread is supposed to be about the Irish championship not international team selection.

One thing leads to the other when players cant play in the Irish, its an important point which was noted by RooksPawn

I’ll give an update to bring us slightly back on track - Apologies for the delay since my last one.

Generally, the Irish has not been too difficult to put together over the past 2 years (at least the work could be spread over a year than a couple of months) but obviously this year is on the other end of the spectrum. To combat that extra work, there’s a bit more of a committee approach to things so I can’t be as certain in my answers as previous years. However, I’ll do my best.

Tentative plan:
    Guidelines are on paper and due to be published early next week, pending committee sign-off. This will include a walk-through of what to expect at the door each day - to ensure safety, anti cheating measures and a check-in for devices.

Trial games will go ahead in the middle of the month. We need to test the guidelines and walkthrough and make sure everything is actually workable (and timed out). We don’t want to turn up on August 1 and hope for the best.

Pictures of the venue and trial games will be published to give a further idea of what to expect so you are not caught unawares on August 1. We’ll tweak guidelines as necessary once those trial events are complete.

Entries: will close a week later than usual. I think we generally close two weeks in advance - in the past (the before times), people would have limited holidays to work with so would know long in advance if they’d play. This year, given the new date, lack of foreign playing opportunities and the uncertainty around very many things (and no new rating lists to worry about) - we think it’s best to be more flexible here. We’re looking at around 30 entries - not sure about norm chances but I think there is a 50-50 chance of 3-4 titled players. I haven’t done a push on the latter like I normally would as there’s just too much else to do before that - but should have a better idea by the end of next week.

Finally, Colaiste Eanna have been a massive help and the event would not be possible without them. It will probably be more clear once the walkthrough has been published and/or once you’ve seen the venue but they’ve been tireless in getting everything ready for the event and will have volunteers on the door each day to make sure it all runs as smoothly as possible. Special thanks of course go to Dave Grant whose directed their efforts.

Again, apologies for the slowness - but we’re getting there.

Is it a good idea though? When not all players can play.

Joedryan wrote: »
    Is it a good idea though? When not all players can play.
    Not ALL players ever play. Yes it is unfortunate that a few foreign based players like yourself will miss out but there is a larger group of people based here that have to be catered for. I think that the ICU are doing a great job in staging it and I endorse the compliment to scoil eanna which is an excellent venue and add my thanks to Dave Grant.

Not ALL players ever play. Yes it is unfortunate that a few foreign based players like yourself will miss out but there is a larger group of people based here that have to be catered for. I think that the ICU are doing a great job in staging it and I endorse the compliment to scoil eanna which is an excellent venue and add my thanks to Dave Grant.

Isnt the current defending champion also foreign based? I just throw the question out, I dont say that I am right but it deserves a mention which hitherto it doesnt seem to have got. There is a legitimate question to be asked if this is the right moment for the championships to take place.

Isnt the current defending champion also foreign based? I just throw the question out, I dont say that I am right but it deserves a mention which hitherto it doesnt seem to have got. There is a legitimate question to be asked if this is the right moment for the championships to take place.

I think that the strong entry shows it is the right time. There has often been times when defending champions haven't played and there has also been years when the championship has been held in places like Belfast which to some of us was an even stronger deterrent than the plague.

• Advertisement

I think as well we all want to get back to playing leagues, weekenders, club nights, etc. A small tournament is the best way to trial how to manage that in a pandemic. It sounds strange to be using the Irish as a guinea pig, but in a way, it's arguably the most suitable tournament for it.

There may be a question mark over this year's winner if the field isn't as strong as it could be. But I think in the circumstances, that's an acceptable compromise

cdeb wrote: »
    I think as well we all want to get back to playing leagues, weekenders, club nights, etc. A small tournament is the best way to trial how to manage that in a pandemic. It sounds strange to be using the Irish as a guinea pig, but in a way, it's arguably the most suitable tournament for it.

There may be a question mark over this year's winner if the field isn't as strong as it could be. But I think in the circumstances, that's an acceptable compromise

There will be no question mark over the winner. By that logic one could argue that there is a question mark over the last forty winners because Kernan, Kelly, Baburin or whoever didn't play. Murphy is a worthy Irish Champion but he is not a regular visitor to our shores, I had never even seen him before last years championship. Whoever wins this year will be Irish champion and deservedly so. The two Ks have an excellent chance of becoming our youngest ever champion, are you going to say that their achievement (should they pull it off) is somehow less just because certain players either can't play or won't play?

If people who would otherwise like to play are unable to because of a pandemic (which is completely outside their control), then yes, arguably so.

It's not quite the same as eligible people choosing not to enter - though I'll grant you, it's not entirely dissimilar either.

It seems the prospective field at the moment is quite strong, which will certainly minimise any question mark. And I don't think it should stop the competition going ahead either.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

There are already four former Irish Champions in a strong field this year. And more strong players might yet enter.
    The 2016 tournament had only 16 players and was much weaker than this years entry - which has already 23 prospective entrants.
    Check your history !
    http://www.irlchess.com/irlch2016_allfiles/pairings_irlch2016.html

A player can only beat the people who are there, if people aren't there for whatever reason that has nothing to do with it. It would be a different story was "Who is the best player in Ireland?" the question, then of course absentees would matter but the Irish Championship does not decide who the strongest player is and nor is it meant to. Dennis Taylor was world snooker champ but never the best player in the world. Khalifman was world chess champion. Greece were football champions of Europe but miles away from being the best team. Championships are there to decide a champion not who is THE best.
    The Irish Championship has a great entry this year considering the circumstances and I for one can't wait to play some "real "live chess again.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

There are already four former Irish Champions in a strong field this year. And more strong players might yet enter.
    The 2016 tournament had only 16 players and was much weaker than this years entry - which has already 23 prospective entrants.
    Check your history !

I don’t think Joe said it would be weaker - just that some couldn’t play due to restrictions. Which is a fair point but ultimately, I think the pros of running it outweigh the cons - namely that we’d risk having no championship this year by not running it in this slot. And as cdeb points out, it will hopefully be a blueprint for other events to return.

It should be a reasonably strong Irish - not on the level of ‘18 or ‘19 but stronger than most other years this decade.

I don’t think Joe said it would be weaker - just that some couldn’t play due to restrictions. Which is a fair point but ultimately, I think the pros of running it outweigh the cons - namely that we’d risk having no championship this year by not running it in this slot. And as cdeb points out, it will hopefully be a blueprint for other events to return.

It should be a reasonably strong Irish - not on the level of ‘18 or ‘19 but stronger than most other years this decade.

Thats a fair point, lots of people are talking about a second wave coming in the Autumn/Winter but ultimately nobody knows for sure. I think in the circumstances its probably the best decision.

Entries so far in FIDE rating order

5 players rated over 2300 FIDE entered so far.

A player can only beat the people who are there, if people aren't there for whatever reason that has nothing to do with it. It would be a different story was "Who is the best player in Ireland?" the question, then of course absentees would matter but the Irish Championship does not decide who the strongest player is and nor is it meant to. Dennis Taylor was world snooker champ but never the best player in the world. Khalifman was world chess champion. Greece were football champions of Europe but miles away from being the best team. Championships are there to decide a champion not who is THE best.
    The Irish Championship has a great entry this year considering the circumstances and I for one can't wait to play some "real "live chess again.

Great, but its not really about you is it.

• Advertisement

Great, but its not really about you is it.
    Says the man who wants the whole championship postponed just because HE can't play.
    Pot/kettle.

Says the man who wants the whole championship postponed just because HE can't play.
    Pot/kettle.

:) Just kidding

As I said above, I agree its the best decision in the circumstances.

:) Just kidding

As I said above, I agree its the best decision in the circumstances.

You still have the tipping competition to look forward to!

You still have the tipping competition to look forward to!

I'll have to enter that then! I have marvelled at the standard in that previously :pac:

Entries to the Irish as of 09.07.2020

It says on the ICU site that there are no wildcard entries in the Irish Ch. How did a player with an 1820 rating get in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

It says on the ICU site that there are no wildcard entries in the Irish Ch. How did a player with an 1820 rating get in then?
    Non issue, Rome is burning,put the Fiddle away.

Two more entries for the Irish Championship yesterday !! Looks like the numbers are going up and not down as some have predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

Two more entries for the Irish Championship yesterday !! Looks like the numbers are going up and not down as some have predicted.

Yes, 27 now, up from 20 a few days ago. It is not surprising that a few people who had paid entry fees before the pandemic might not be able to/want to play under the changed circumstances.

But evidently many are keen to play and good luck to them. Most of the entrants are young naturally, though I see two or three Seniors are willing to take the risk.
    If there are no negative consequences, maybe more older players will return for league matches or maybe the City of Dublin if it happens. For events like that, ICU/LCU need to find large well-ventilated rooms with high ceilings, maybe hotel ballrooms?
    Schools are clearly going to be unavailable in term time.

I hope the twin-board system won't prevent online broadcasting of the Irish Championships as I am keen to watch.

• Advertisement

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Most of the entrants are young naturally, though I see two or three Seniors are willing to take the risk.

I count at least 11 Seniors playing!

Advertisement