Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just One More Watch - Youtube reviewer

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

893bet wrote: »
    Did he use the phrase “bat person” a load of times.

Enough to turn me off listening to him.

Rolex is a mass produced item. There will always be QC issues.

I'm not a subscriber but watch the odd review, mainly when it is mentioned in here. His review is pretty fair though, isn't it? That bezel not lining up is shocking.

And as for "bat person" - these are nick names, I guess someone coins them and they are picked up by others? Who mentioned "bat man" first, or "bat girl". He's probably just trying to be funny. All those nick names are a bit cringy to me anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not a subscriber but watch the odd review, mainly when it is mentioned in here. His review is pretty fair though, isn't it? That bezel not lining up is shocking.

And as for "bat person" - these are nick names, I guess someone coins them and they are picked up by others? Who mentioned "bat man" first, or "bat girl". He's probably just trying to be funny. All those nick names are a bit cringy to me anyway :D

Definitely fair. And definitely shocking. Any watch over a couple of grand should really be free of such simple and obvious defects.

Don’t watch his videos so wasn’t sure if he was trying to be funny with the bat person or actually trying to be politically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

It's refreshing to see an honest review of a Rolex instead of the usual gushing over them. The money charged for what you get is crazy in most cases; and even crazier when you consider that they could easily charge a lot more such is the demand for them. That particular model's colour combination is gorgeous I have to say. The rose gold really picks up the bezel well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

redlead wrote: »
    It's refreshing to see an honest review of a Rolex instead of the usual gushing over them. The money charged for what you get is crazy in most cases; and even crazier when you consider that they could easily charge a lot more such is the demand for them. That particular model's colour combination is gorgeous I have to say. The rose gold really picks up the bezel well.

I agree, what he gives is his honest opinion. Now you may not agree with him and I often don't but he seldom does a review where he doesn't have some negative views.

Not to say that he isn't biased, we all are.

Another YT reviewer I have respect for is Tim at Casebackwatches, a guy who likes vintage/retro watches but still tells it as he sees it.

Some I watch for entertainment like Archie or mostly avoid because I find them irritating like UrbanGentry and Bark&Jack. There's a couple of American ones that I can't remember the name of who are so 'in your face' and loud that I also don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Nick Shabazz is good too, he has that new Yorker thing going on in spades, it's an affair.
    As an aside I was watching bark and Jack on tv when my son came in and sat beside me. After 5 minutes he turned to me an said WTF is he talking about, it's a watch FFS. Outsiders don't really get our world of little machines, do they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I can say from personal experience that Nick is a gent to deal with in person too and does a lot of good with his youtube fame.

He can be described as a batman as well as he wears the cowl for his more reflective pieces' reviews (just in case people get to see his face - I can totally understand the desire to keep his online stuff separate from his real life).

And maybe it's not entirely fair to say this - but I would tend to trust people who do this work "for fun" than those who are making a living from doing reviews - less skin in the game and needing to keep sponsors/brands sweet by providing favourable reviews.

It goes back to "can you expect someone to be producing professional videos if they aren't being paid professional rates?" - because Youtube sure isn't paying them a lot for their videos even if they are monetised. And so if you're not getting paid to do this then these reviewers have to just enjoy looking at cool watches (which is what I found a lot of reviewers genuinely are).

On the other hand the people who send me a price list for reviews immediately after I contact them are definitely a bit of a turn-off - but looking at it from their end they say to me "I don't want to give you free marketing" - I just didn't consider a review as marketing (which I do pay for now via FB/Instagram) - I guess for me if someone considers a review as marketing it speaks to how their reviews will tend to end up. Remember - some brands treat reviews like marketing too - they'll say "sure you can get a free watch/cash - but we need to have editorial control over your "review" and you need to produce X instagram posts, spaced Y days apart saying Z" - so it's a two-way street unfortunately. Spoke to a number of reviewers who mentioned that brands came up to them and in the first email said "how much do you charge for a review?"

...it's a deep rabbit hole once you start travelling down that path!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

njburke wrote: »
    Nick Shabazz is good too, he has that new Yorker thing going on in spades, it's an affair.
    As an aside I was watching bark and Jack on tv when my son came in and sat beside me. After 5 minutes he turned to me an said WTF is he talking about, it's a watch FFS. Outsiders don't really get our world of little machines, do they.

You should talk to your lad about his language. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭dinorebel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdczkdkxaA

A slightly different video but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Some nices ones here, should be in time for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭dinorebel

@Wibbs this may be of some interest to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"How many trench watches do you have in your collection" sez he. Me... *looks at feet. blushes* :D

It looks nice, but - and this includes Longines and Omega in their "homages" - they always get the proportions wrong. The hands don't quite balance and the subdial is too small or too high up, or they slap a date window on it(Looking at you Longines and across your vintage range too*). At least this Vario isn't costing the earth, but the minute hand would have me twitching. It looks like the cobble togethers of "authentic" trench watches from dealers. The originals, even the cheap end originally are much more balanced and proportioned.

*I suppose most of such watches are going to random non watch weirdos who like the look and require a date.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

dinorebel wrote: »
    @Wibbs this may be of some interest to you.

I'm no expert on original trench watches but that crown at 4 o'clock doesn't look right. If their object is to make it superficially like an original that spoils it completely for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though to be fair there were some trench watches with the crown at 9(the thinking being it wouldn't hit the left wrist) some with it at 12 and even a couple with it at 4, though the whole face was rotated in that case. It was an oddball time of much experimentation with the new wristlets for men.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

New Casio Duros (plural) for 2021.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia71hpD-aSU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

"44mm of awesome" is also how I describe my penis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5LkuQAgFjM

Rolex Explorer 2 V Pagani rip-off 'Explorer 2'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Hard to argue with the price of pagani. But I would rather go watchesless personally than wear a fake. There is a line between “homage” and fake. And they are fakes. If you order the could easily leave in a fake Rolex dial also as there is no doubt that the tooling is shared in the factory.

"the hardest working member of the design dept, the photocopier" :D But yeah, that's extracting the urine alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

tough audience .. your homage is too close, its therefore a fake and deserves my scorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

celtic_oz wrote: »
    tough audience .. your homage is too close, its therefore a fake and deserves my scorn.

It’s not a homage when if the dial was changed a small bit it would be a full on fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Time wrote: »
    It’s not a homage when if the dial was changed a small bit it would be a full on fake

Dial and handset and it's a full on fake.
    The Pagani factory is surely one of the big players for fakes or at least case sets and parts IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

celtic_oz wrote: »

Its tough love around here alright, but its love none the less. These are not good watches, and there is much better at that price point available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnphillips

Granted it's as close to a photocopy, but it's a stretch to call it a fake rolex if rolex isn't on the dial. No one is going to wear one of these and pretend it's a rolex to either themselves or anyone else.

Advertisement