Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ZX Spectrum NEXT in the field

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just backed it, not sure why really as I don't particularly like the Spectrum... Still waiting for the Amstrad Next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Just backed it, not sure why really as I don't particularly like the Spectrum... Still waiting for the Amstrad Next :)

There is a CPC core for the Next but not sure if it's anywhere near the finished article.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

anywhere near the finished article.

Neither was the Amstrad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

C64 > Spectrum >>> Amstrad

c40d15356a583dd6b7784870a02130b5.gif

Skerries wrote: »
    they've broken the 1m mark

Million Sterling now too. Thought it would be popular but it's doing way better than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

McDermotX wrote: »
    C64 > Spectrum >>> Amstrad

c40d15356a583dd6b7784870a02130b5.gif

Atari800xl>C64>Amstrad>BarcodeBattler>Spectrum ;)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Atari800xl>C64>Amstrad>BarcodeBattler>Spectrum ;)

Go'won outta dat ! :P

Always plump for the C64, but looking forward to giving the Next a going over next year at some point.
    Didn't bother the first time round, as I was still tinkering with an old +2 and a Harlequin build, so backed the Ultimate 64 project instead, but its fantastic to see the response to this second phase.

1.2 million stretch goal reached, the less than inspiring inline power switch (branded). They need to tell us the final goal now, the 1.5 million, which I don't see them reaching anyway, unless it's super duper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Gone past last stretch goal of £1.5M (New Head over Heels Game/Remake) 70 Hrs left to go till end. It's an extraordinary achievement for a second time round kickstarter.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Gone past last stretch goal of £1.5M (New Head over Heels Game/Remake) 70 Hrs left to go till end. It's an extraordinary achievement for a second time round kickstarter.

1.65 million and I didn't think they'd make 1.5, and with 24 hours to go, 4700 backers, although just shy of a hundred of those are just people supporting the Kickstarter with a fiver or whatever.

• Advertisement

Finished at 1.84 million which is staggering really. Over 5000 new Nexts on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well that's my bank account nearly €400 lighter

Back up for pre-order, with an August shipping time frame

https://www.specnext.com/shop/

anyone want a small ZX Spectrum t-shirt (M) that I stupidly bought not looking at the sizes properly?

it's the one with the black sleeve and is a nice soft lycra material

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.buyer_leave_review.0.0.2fed6c1bCVlm5v&orderId=8118852042358632&productId=32887776833

I have re-ordered and gone for an xl this time

Skerries wrote: »

It's a nice idea but 160 euro posted for a ready to go board, puts you in same price range as the Next N-GO, which gives you a ZX Uno and ZX Spectrum Next for virtually the same money. Or even a fully cased, ready to go Omni for less money (if you don't mind waiting, and waiting, and waiting)

I hope it does well but think it's imagined a niche (in a very niche market) that isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Considering it looks like you bring the case etc. - if you already have a Speccy 48k and you are just want HDMI output, maybe look into getting a ZX-HD.

Update: Or even a TKPie. Seemly both of these will work with 128k units also

Spectrum Next still commanding decent money. There's one for sale on the Facebook group for 500 euro.

mine finally arrived 39 months after ordering

Well packaged but haven't tried it out yet

Enjoy, I've got a lot of fun out of mine just tinkering with it. I'm envious all the people getting their KS2 Nexts. I couldn't really justify a 2nd one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Mine arrived this morning which was a nice Christmas present :) My son looked at me like I have 10 heads when I tried to explain it to him. I see someone in Ireland is looking for crazy money on ebay already, dreaming.

That's just a ridiculous price, one did sold for 650 last week and even thats stupid money for it. I'm probably going to sell mine on but its hard to figure out a price thats not a total gouger and still not attract flippers

I'd stick it on at starting price of whatever it cost you plus a hundred quid profit and see where it ends up. Wouldn't worry about being seen as a gouger, if you backed it you helped people who actually want one get it, with stretch goals etc. so I'd feel no guilt about profiteering.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Ah feck it, decided to keep it and get stuck in instead.

Where's a good place to get Next specific software for it ?

Itch.io has quite a few, the official site has a software page but it's a bit out of date I think.

There's going to be something on latest Distro that allows you to download next stuff directly to your Next too.

Advertisement