Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The soundtrack of Paradise Killer - definitely inspired by the likes of Persona - is a thing of absolute beauty.

I loved how Hi-Fi Rush used licensed rock music (and one classical piece) for several of its big setpieces and boss fights - the original compositions are great (especially the Persona 5 esque jazzy soundtrack for the museum level) but having familiar songs for the big moments ensured they hit hard. The final level before the last boss is one of the most triumphant pieces of game soundtracking I’ve encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Rayman Legends soundtrack, original pieces and the licensed pieces for the music levels, is pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just ordered Pokemon Platinum from CEX, shall I start taking bets on whether I receive a genuine or bootleg cart?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

Agreed, though even with the maestro himself re his work on the SW sequel trilogy, I was pretty let down just by how subtle the soundtrack for the three films was (amongst the other obvious flaws). There were flashes of brilliance among the films, but nothing that I can say rivaled even the prequels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've always enjoyed a good movie soundtrack.

Tarantino made it about the eclectic licencing of old or obscure songs, Gunn has run with it.

The late James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith were of the same era as Williams and produced some amazing scores, both with the most iconic Trek movie soundtracks for example.

But Horner's Aliens OST is the GOAT in my humble opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The most amazing thing about the Aliens soundtrack is it was slapped together in a rush and even reused compositions from another james horner movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Happy Aliens day! I saw Aliens live with the RTE Orchestra in Bord Gais a few years ago which was very good. James Horner did an excellent job.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I really like Tron Legacy, Skywalker Sound did a great job on the surround mix and it's paired with an exceptional 1080p image. It's my go-to for showing off Blu-ray and surround sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

Blade runner .... nearly all carpenter films ,original terminator wheres the love :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Tron Legacy soundtrack absolutely made that film. Turned the whole thing from a fairly run of the mill sequel into something really very aesthetically pleasing. Funnily enough it was my go to for a while too for showing off my AV setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I can agree with pretty much all those soundtracks. Crazy how a good score and soundtrack can really make a film.

I was watching Judge dredd the other night. Pretty crappy movie all things considered but my god what the score does to make the whole film feel better than it is, Alan Silvestri, another great composer. Then on the other hand I also like the electronic sounds of the Dredd movie from 2012, so its definitely having the right style for the movie

Always like Michael Kamen too

Went to the Hans Zimmer concert in the 3 a few years ago and loved it too. Inception and Interstellar are a couple of modern classics to me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Horner had a definite style, and many of his scores resembled each other, Battle Beyond The Stars certainly had much of the DNA that turned up in Aliens.

And then Aliens had its music used lots of times, particularly during the final flourish in Die Hard.

The Aliens soundtrack itself lifted straight from the Gayane Ballet Suite, itself used in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The soundtrack of Interstellar was a soundtrack that desperately needed to be for a better film. The Inception BONG! is getting very annoying in modern movies. I can't blame Hans Zimmer for that, more the dozens of immitators over using it.

Master of the Universe

I was only thinking the other day how I'm so sick of hearing that deep Inception 'BONG' in everything. (I think I heard it in the Mario movie?)

Didn't really know what to call it but that's spot on.

It's the modern (ish) version of the Wilhelm Scream. Completely takes me out of the film whenever I hear it.

I forgot how much I enjoyed Jon Carter!

I read a couple of the Barsoom books later on and felt the movie really captured them.

Pity it bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You should turn on captions on YouTube when you watch that video

'BAWHHHHHH' ... 'MMMUUUURRRMMMM'

In an update no one demanded, the game is genuine but look at the actual state of this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Are prices much different on eBay? It seems with the rate of orders being cancelled or showing up in an absolute state it would be worth spending a bit extra on there. When shopping for games it doesn't cost a ton to get a good condition complete in box game although in fairness those Pokémon games can get expensive.

Even before getting into the price, Ebay (hell, everywhere in fairness) is absolutely riddled with fakes/switches/shenanigans. CEX, for all their faults, are a lot easier to deal with than that horseshit.

Master of the Universe

Anyone else hooked on making up fake stories and scripts using Chatgpt? I've been at it all day!

Title: Streets of Rage: Ciderman's Revenge

Fade in:

EXT. CITY STREETS - NIGHT

The streets are riddled with crime and chaos as the camera pans across the cityscape. Suddenly, the screen goes black.

Title Card: Streets of Rage: Ciderman's Revenge

The title card fades out to reveal Ciderman, a tough and rugged brawler with a love for hard cider. He is sitting in a bar, watching the news on TV.

TV ANCHOR (on TV)

Reports are coming in of a major drug trafficking ring operating in the city. The police have been unable to stop them, and citizens are living in fear.

Ciderman looks up from his drink and decides to take matters into his own hands.

CIDERMAN

(to bartender)

I need a ride.

BARTENDER

Where to?

CIDERMAN

The heart of the city. I'm going to take down these thugs and put an end to their reign of terror.

Ciderman exits the bar and walks into the night.

CUT TO:

Ciderman navigates through the city streets, taking on thugs and gang members with his bare fists. He is a force to be reckoned with.

CUT TO:

INT. DRUG DEN - NIGHT

Ciderman kicks open the door to a drug den, where he finds the leader of the drug trafficking ring. The leader stands up to face Ciderman, but is no match for him.

CUT TO:

Ciderman walks away from the drug den, leaving a trail of defeated thugs behind him. The city is safe once again.

CIDERMAN (voiceover)

The streets may be filled with rage, but when there's cider in your veins, nothing can stop you.

The screen fades to black as the game's logo appears.

Title Card: Streets of Rage: Ciderman's Revenge

Fade to black.

• Advertisement

"The streets may be filled with rage, but when there's cider in your veins, nothing can stop you."

That's John McTiernan-esque. Words to live by.

Wow, I mean... wow...

Master of the Universe

I really do recommend signing up and giving it a go. Whatever about asking it questions or doing your homework, it's creative side is mind blowing.

Some things I've having great fun with;

having it create a play/story about some random topic in the style of Shakespeare

Having it create fictitious sequels and prequels to films

Stories in the style of X writer (I did a really cool one earlier and sent it to my sister about her and her boyfriend in a deserted theme park in the style of Junji Ito - you'd 100% have thought it was a story of his)

Putting Alan Patridge in bizarre stories. I had him fighting Jean Claude Van Damme in one, where he used a can of Lynx Africa to temporarily blind Van Damme while saying 'it's time to release the beast'. (all that Lynx stuff was 100% thought up of by the AI)

I just prompted it with the following:

'write a story about Retrogamer and Ciderman in the videogame golden axe, but based in Dublin city'

And got this...

------------

Retrogamer and Ciderman were two friends who loved playing video games together. They were avid fans of classic games, and one of their favorites was Golden Axe. They spent countless hours playing it on their retro console, mastering the moves of each character and taking on the challenges of each level.

One day, while browsing a video game store in Dublin, they stumbled upon a strange-looking arcade machine in the corner. It had no label or branding, but it looked like an old-school arcade game. Curious, they decided to give it a go.

He As they started playing, they noticed something odd. The graphics were glitchy, and the colors seemed off. The sound was distorted, and the music was haunting. It was unlike any game they had ever played before. They were both intrigued and slightly unsettled by the experience.

But as they continued to play, they became completely engrossed in the game. The characters looked like they were straight out of Dublin's streets, wielding hurleys and Guinness bottles instead of swords and axes. The levels were based on famous Dublin landmarks like the Spire and the Ha'penny Bridge.

But the longer they played, the more they noticed something was off. The enemies started to resemble people they knew in real life, and the game's objectives became darker and more violent. It was as if the game was reading their minds and adapting to their personalities.

Retrogamer and Ciderman began to feel a sense of dread as they played on. The game seemed to be taking over their minds and bodies, controlling their every move. They couldn't stop playing, even though they knew they should.

Hours turned into days, and Retrogamer and Ciderman found themselves lost in the game's twisted reality. They were no longer in control, and the game had become their entire world.

It wasn't until a concerned friend intervened that they were able to break free from the game's grip. They were shaken and traumatized by the experience, but grateful to be alive.

They never found out who created the game or how it had such a powerful effect on them. But they knew one thing for sure – they would never play Golden Axe in Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've been using ChatGPT for work stuff for a little while. So handy to just tell it what I need in plain English and it writes an 80-90% correct complex PowerShell script and then I just tidy it up. 45-60 mins work brought down to 5-10mins without going near stackoverflow.com 🙂

Ah yes, Ciderman's worst nightmare, starring as the lead in a Golden Axe Isekai anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This is how you test *GPTs of the world, also ask it to write the result in the form of a Johnny Cash song. Seems to be a past time here in work.

I backordered a Pi Zero 2W from Mouser in February of this year. Got this there in an email "Production Issues Reported - Delivery Unknown". Could be another 6 or more months, who knows.

Hard to believe how screwed up the supply still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

About the only thing I've been able to buy is the original pi zero W. Don't really need one but I still bought one. Pavlovian response I get from stock notification emails, I have to buy :pac:

Other SBCs are much more available now, have the Pi foundation done a poor job with their supply chain or is it just their products are in way more demand than orange pi or the like. /Wondering out loud.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yeah I've seen Zero W's available at times, but seemingly I need a 2W for its intended use. Really annoying.

Not completely sure, I imagine demand is far outstripping supply. I may be wrong but I also thought I read that supply is being funneled into corporate/industrial customers far more than usual, and the scraps are being thrown to retail. Pretty disappointing if true.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I went to buy Advance Wars Reboot Camp yesterday and almost fell off my chair when I saw the price of the digital download - 60 quid! 😮

Did anyone buy it at that price? With Nintendo releasing Metroid Prime Remastered at 40 euro I was thinking that might be setting a bit of a pricing bar for HD remasters of old games. Apparently not.

Half tempted to hunt down copies of the original 2 GBA games instead.

Advertisement