Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

• 03-09-2016 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Lads, Matt does a great job a real pro, but jebus the amount of ads these days are really starting to piss me off.

And the crappy traffic reports, does anyone listen to this crap, its the same traffic jams on the same roads every day for the last 10 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

liam7831 wrote: »
    Lads, Matt does a great job a real pro, but jebus the amount of ads these days are really starting to piss me off.

And the crappy traffic reports, does anyone listen to this crap, its the same traffic jams on the same roads every day for the last 10 years

I'll tell you who doesn't listen to those traffic reports, anyone who could make a difference with the traffic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Following on from a discussion which has sprung up on another thread here, I though I'd start a new one on this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I like his show but I feel it's getting repetitive at times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like his show but I feel it's getting repetitive at times

I feel the same way about the show. I have no particular issue with Matt Cooper but sometimes the items can be a bit tedious ...and sometimes the guests too! Last week, I tuned in when he was interviewing Ivan Yeats. Now, that was good and proves that The Last Word can still deliver.

The question is does The Last Word really fit with Today FM anymore? I have said it before on other threads - maybe it would make more sense on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I find Cal Thomas quite annoying at this stage, and don't get me started on Paul conspiracy theory kimmage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I find Cal Thomas quite annoying at this stage

Why, may I ask? I quite like his Tuesday segment tbh.

Passenger wrote: »
    Why, may I ask? I quite like his Tuesday segment tbh.

Because it's the same old boring crap every week out of him about the right to
    bear arms and dissing Obama etc etc. We get it, change the record

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Because it's the same old boring crap every week out of him about the right to
    bear arms and dissing Obama etc etc. We get it, change the record

It's somewhat refreshing to hear one of the more Conservative US commentators on Irish radio as it's usually the other side we're only ever exposed to.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I noticed around 2009 that Cooper started to become quite vitriolic and populist in his viewpoints and that affected his shows for me. It hasn't gotten any better since then and his personal issues seem to dictate the slant his shows take. An obvious example is his take on US politics but there are more insidious issues that have an effect on the broader population.

Has anyone else noticed that when he covers the car insurance issue, it's always a representative of the insurance industry he interviews with no balancing interviewee? I know his show is sponsored by an insurance company and that may be a reason but I find it disappointing that a man who used to have very good credibility would let something like sponsorship, or personal prejudices, dictate the content of a real live issue for his audience.

I noticed around 2009 that Cooper started to become quite vitriolic and populist in his viewpoints and that affected his shows for me. It hasn't gotten any better since then and his personal issues seem to dictate the slant his shows take. An obvious example is his take on US politics but there are more insidious issues that have an effect on the broader population.

Has anyone else noticed that when he covers the car insurance issue, it's always a representative of the insurance industry he interviews with no balancing interviewee? I know his show is sponsored by an insurance company and that may be a reason but I find it disappointing that a man who used to have very good credibility would let something like sponsorship, or personal prejudices, dictate the content of a real live issue for his audience.

Ive kind of noticed that lately, and he has some snide/smart remarks when people call him out via text on not being impartial, im no Trump supporter but he never bashed Hilary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I stopped listening to Matt Cooper years ago when I realised I was listening to the same programme 5 days a week.

Does he still have that weather spoofer on, Ken Ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

The show should bring back Fr Wishy Washy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

They need to get rid of that "chatty" news format. It like something you might hear on a youth channel to try make the news interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I stopped listening to Matt Cooper years ago when I realised I was listening to the same programme 5 days a week.

Does he still have that weather spoofer on, Ken Ring?

No, thankfully, not in two years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ive kind of noticed that lately, and he has some snide/smart remarks when people call him out via text on not being impartial, im no Trump supporter but he never bashed Hilary

On Friday Yeats was trying to explain articulately why Trump was popular in the US but Cooper kept cutting him off will silly sofmoric jibes, Yeats gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Owryan wrote: »
    They need to get rid of that "chatty" news format. It like something you might hear on a youth channel to try make the news interesting.

Yeah, I hate that as well. As soon as I hear that the 5 @ 5 or the 6 @ 6 is coming up, I instantly switch to Newstalk to Radio 1. Not a fan of that format at all.

Yeah, I hate that as well. As soon as I hear that the 5 @ 5 or the 6 @ 6 is coming up, I instantly switch to Newstalk to Radio 1. Not a fan of that format at all.

I agree it's pants

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Used to be a fan of the show a while back, but like many others am tiring of it now. Fed up listening to a repeat of the competition, over and over. They are obsessed by competitions.

Agree with many other about other issues. Matt, despite what he might claim, comes across as very biased on certain subjects. Trump being the main one, he just can't contain his hate for him.

The traffic reports also get me. Same old, same old, read by some of the worst readers in the business, always appear to be rushing to squeeze the report in, and as a result spend top much time stumbling over their words. Arwyn Foley is the worst for this, when I hear that report coming on, I switch over.

The 5@5 and 6@6 always reminds me of John Cravens Newsround, which I used to watch as a child in NI. It was on the beeb and was news for kids.

Good points of TLW, and which keep me listening to the show for another while, are Cal Thomas and Marian McKeown. Enjoy them. And Ed Hayes is a welcome return guest recently.

But I do find RTE1 getting more of my ear when I'm driving in recent times. Matt isn't bad, but he's no Dunphy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

He's almost gone Full Ray Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Owryan wrote: »

Its like the 3 word weather on Spin eugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

I remember when Matt Cooper used to fill in for ED, when ED would go MIA or was on a bender. Back then Matt was sharp as a pin.
    If he got his teeth into something, he was like a dog with a bone, and was great to listen to.

( can I just add that when ED was in the big seat, The Last Word was "Required Listening")

After ED left and Matt took over, things were fine for a while, but you could feel the slow slide to mediocrity after only 6 months of Matt's stewardship.

These days my commute to work is only 3 minutes, and if I was still doing my 2 hour jaunt, The Last Word, as it is now, would be soul destroying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

satguy wrote: »
    I remember when Matt Cooper used to fill in for ED, when ED would go MIA or was on a bender. Back then Matt was sharp as a pin.
    If he got his teeth into something, he was like a dog with a bone, and was great to listen to.

( can I just add that when ED was in the big seat, The Last Word was "Required Listening")

After ED left and Matt took over, things were fine for a while, but you could feel the slow slide to mediocrity after only 6 months of Matt's stewardship.

These days my commute to work is only 3 minutes, and if I was still doing my 2 hour jaunt, The Last Word, as it is now, would be soul destroying.

I actually hate when matt is like a dog with a bone, he goes all high pitched and squeaky and is very annoying, making argument for the sake of argument doesnt make for good radio.
    I wouldnt call the last word mediocre i think its a fine show but the little changes they are making arent good, the 5 at 5 and 6 at 6 are just daft (although I do like to hear more of susan keoghs voice, she is some fox) and paul kimmage is just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The quality of his regular contributors ranges from good to very bad IMO.

An example of bad - the regular sports contributors. Surely to fcuk there's better options out there than the likes of Lawrenson and Tony "awlroight Matt!" Cascarino? The pair of them have been literally phoning it in for years, trotting out the same lazy cliches with little or no actual insight. Neil Francis and Paul Wallace - that dour pair manage to make rugby sound even more boring than it already is.

The TV review segment... they couldn't possibly find a more irritating pair of giggling twits if they tried.

I do enjoy the Cal Thomas segment, he's a car crash waiting to happen but he calls a spade a spade, not afraid of offending anyone.

I must say when he's doing the American segment, he's a bit biased as he seems to challenge Cal more than Marian, and I despise any golf segments on it as he gets really giddy over it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

I enjoy Matts show. I get to listen from 4.30 - 6pm. I became a regular listener after Will Leahy was dropped from 2FM. I have to say I enjoy the segments where he had the likes of Brendan Courtney on chatting about the Fair Deal or Una Mullally talking about dealing with cancer. Liam Cunnigham was talking about Syria. Before Christmas he had Tommy Byrne an Irish Formula 1 Driver. Those segments give an interesting mix to the show rather than full time talking the same thing over and over.

I enjoy Matts show. I get to listen from 4.30 - 6pm. I became a regular listener after Will Leahy was dropped from 2FM. I have to say I enjoy the segments where he had the likes of Brendan Courtney on chatting about the Fair Deal or Una Mullally talking about dealing with cancer. Liam Cunnigham was talking about Syria. Before Christmas he had Tommy Byrne an Irish Formula 1 Driver. Those segments give an interesting mix to the show rather than full time talking the same thing over and over.

Yea I agree, I love those interesting guests, a while back he also had some guy in who wrote a book on the irish is south america, i certainly prefer that than listening to some half baked union rep or parish pump politician giving the same old stupid answers, although it was funny when matt tried to get danny healy rae to admit he had a shotgun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Still think Cooper is the best at this style of show, mind you Anton would be stiff competition as far as broadcasting capabilities are concerned. There has been some mention of his show bring repetitive but it's difficult to avoid this when the show is on 250 days a year.

It will be interesting to see where The Last Word will stand now Today Fm is aiming at a 15-30 listenership. I note Cooper is bringing the show around college campuses in the coming weeks which is very much confirmation of the move to aim younger.

Given Coopers age profile himself, Phil Cawley, Dempsey and Mcloone very much jar with Today Fms new younger direction. While their license wouldn't allow for the talk / news content to be dropped I could see the much younger Gavan Reilly ably take over a revamped drive time show.

heybaby wrote: »
    Still think Cooper is the best at this style of show, mind you Anton would be stiff competition as far as broadcasting capabilities are concerned. There has been some mention of his show bring repetitive but it's difficult to avoid this when the show is on 250 days a year.

It will be interesting to see where The Last Word will stand now Today Fm is aiming at a 15-30 listenership. I note Cooper is bringing the show around college campuses in the coming weeks which is very much confirmation of the move to aim younger.

Given Coopers age profile himself, Phil Cawley, Dempsey and Mcloone very much jar with Today Fms new younger direction. While their license wouldn't allow for the talk / news content to be dropped I could see the much younger Gavan Reilly ably take over a revamped drive time show.

Yea I have to say I am impressed by Gav Reilly, a very able deputy for Cooper at times...

When I heard cooper say yesterday that they were going to UCC i was thinking for feck sake, as if students give a toss about the last word, he said he will be there to talk about contraception, stis and the like, such a load of sh1te, i'm sure spin south west cover all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

heybaby wrote: »

Ah now they aren't going after the 15/30 market. They are going after the 20/44 market which has always been their target market since they launched in January 1998

• Advertisement

Ah now they aren't going after the 15/30 market. They are going after the 20/44 market which has always been their target market since they launched in January 1998

have you listened lately? they are going after the 15-24 age group

Advertisement