Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I listened to...

• 20-05-2015 7:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Catching up on Snap Judgement. Episode 612 Unforgigven featured a story of a woman who lost her husband. He died in the line of duty as an officer with the NYPD bomb squad. She later corresponded with the woman jailed in connection with his death. All was going well, very well, until they met. Found it quite moving.

http://www.npr.org/programs/snap-judgment/405191210/unforgiven

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I read your post last night and listened to the podcast on the way to work. I found it very good ,quite gripping. She narrated so well. It was quite moving.

The one after was quite good too,until he mentioned his toe nails . was like ewww.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Decided to check out Science Vs. One of the actors from WGN's Manhattan tweeted about it as it's his sister's show. Apparently, it's the most popular podcast in Australia, or was when he posted the link. Thought the episode I was listened to was well-produced and informative. Takes the junks science and cuts through the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Must check that one out. Going back to the snap judgement one, she was on newstalk there last week. Think it was Sean Moncrieff show. In that podcast she talks about what happen to Zvonko.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have subscribed to A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor for years. This week they had a fun little skit involving some alliteration, made me chuckle.

About 5 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Currently listening to Radiolabs Mau Mau episode - very interesting - Eye in the Sky is another Radiolab one that I'd highly recommend having listened to it last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Highly recommend RISK!
    Similar to this american life but 3 stories, sometimes a little more adult, v entertaining!

A little short on podcasts at the moment. Jumped back into This American Life.

The episode NUMMI was interesting re GM, Toyota, car build quality and the failure to learn. Teamwork on the assembly line, can't have that...

Listened to the Nerdist podcast with Sir Ian McKellen, not incredibly insightful but he's great to listen to. Never seems rushed, gathers his thoughts, very confident man & that makes listening to him enjoyable, recommend giving it a whack

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The latest Accidental Tech Podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Started listening to a podcast called Lore. I never heard of it before but it's pretty interesting and worth a listen. http://www.lorepodcast.com/

Description from the site:
    Lore is a bi-weekly podcast about true life scary stories.

The people, places, and things of our darkest nightmares all have real facts at their core. Each episode of Lore looks into a uniquely scary tale and uncovers the truth behind it.

Sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tim Minchin on You Made It Weird w/ Pete Homes
    An excellent listen, starts to get very good from around 45 minute mark

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

99pi (99% invisible) is a podcast I've enjoyed anytime I listened to.
    Generally 20-30 mins long - suppose more offbeat topics compatrd to say this American life, but always interesting.
    Anyone listen to it? Roman Mars has the greatest voice in podcasting(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Yes, 99pi is great, listened to the one about micronations this morning. As you say, always interesting, and a diverse range of topics. Huge back catalogue as well, which I'm gradually working my way through.

Roman Mars has the perfect voice for podcasting, and has a wry sense of humour

Snap Judgement again, about a really clever wolf known as 06. An alpha female.

http://snapjudgment.org/Legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lower 9 + 10 - This American Life.

Been a while since I listened to any of TAL but jumped back in with this and it's a really good episode. Some harrowing stories about the destruction caused to the 9th ward area of New Orleans during and following Hurricane Katrina, some bits on the gentrification of the area, and a little bit of feel good in the final minutes.

I've been listening to the Bill Gates interview on Nerdist, from January of this year. It's mostly about his foundation, but some tech talk too. Someone, I presume a PR person, interjects about 19-20 minutes in about the direction of the interview. Haven't heard that on a podcast before. My respect for Gates has grown and there's still over an hour left.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

A couple that I have been listening to recently and I highly recommend.

Sword and Scale - A true crime podcast, have caught up with most of the back catalog, a very interesting take on the medium, where they have a lot of footage from court cases, police interviews etc, some of it is quite disturbing to say the least. Very high production qualities.

The Generation Why Podcast - Ranges between true crime and conspiracy theories, the presenters through a sceptical eye on some very interesting subjects. The podcasts are also quite regular, seem at least once a week.

The Missing Maura Murray - Really enjoying this one also. The presenters are making a documentary on the disappearance and this is the podcast discussing the case. They have delved very deep into it so far, unsure of how much longer they can get out of it, but well worth a listen.

Also the new Hardcore History is about to drop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Point of Inquiry - Only started listening to these recently. Half-hour disections of stories that are in the media, they usually go deeper in analysis than what you might have read in the headlines. Quite good. Presenter isn't annoying - a massive plus.

The Canon - Movie podcast featuring two critics, male and female, arguing about the greatness of a given movie classic each week. It was strictly one movie per episode at the beginning, but has mophed slightly in format over time. For instance this week it was "The Planet of The Apes", but it was as much about discussing the series as a whole, as well the original movie. Common enough to have a guest presenter with useful knowledge on the subject. I'd give it a thumbs up, the two mainstays know their stuff and the conversation often goes deep. It's particularly good when they disagree on the merits of a film - one of the early episodes was a battle about Goodfellas and there wasn't much feeling spared between the two. I think the two might actually hate each other - their jibes can get awfully close to the bone. To be honest the male host, Devin Faraci, isn't always my cup of tea. He's frequently rude, smug and condescending, but he knows his movies, so whatcha goanna do ..

Slates Whistlestop Tour - One guy, John Dickerson, recounts moments from US Presidental Campaign trail history. I'm not generally a fan of podcasts with a lone presenter - I think it's a media format that thrives with interaction between people - but this is a pretty good pod. He's a good storyteller, an obvious political lifer, and if you're like me and find the stratagising and wheeling and dealing side of politics grimly fascinating you'll find a lot to enjoy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Has anyone tried Listen to Lucy?

She's from the Financial Times and talks about business topics, but is completely scathing.

Give that a go.

Enjoyed Daniel Craig on the Nerdist. He seemed to like it too.

• Advertisement

I listened to Batman Adventures Podcast which also featured Superman and Spectre. At one point, another character says to Superman 'you're the one with the x-ray eyes'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tsofitch

I stumbled onto EBay Radio by Jim Griffith, really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Listened to an episode of The Writers Panel on Nerdist.

Well, it would be more accurate to say that I tried to listen. Maybe the worst case I've ever heard of a pod filled with people who love, love, absolutely adore the sound of their own voice. They all sounded very knowledgeable and all, but after about five minutes of them screeching and honking over each other, I had to bail. It was bad.

Does anyone else find this problem with a lot of US pop culture pods? They can be full of interesting aspects, but in at least 50% of them, the sound of whoever is behind the mic banging on eventually drives me demented.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Episode 8 of Tanis is out, anyone listening to it?

It's a fake 'This America Life' style documentary about all kinds of spooky goings on. They've piled the mysteries on a bit thick so far and I think they will need to start solving them but it's a quality show with a great atmosphere.

The BBC's Science in Action, followed by NPR's Planet Money - quite a grim story about human trafficking in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

listening to the todd barry podcast interviewing maeve higgins (now living in new york) , he may have the most soothing voice ever

Listened to Graham Hunters podcasts lately - some very good interviews there & a good style by him, he asks a general question & lets the interviewee run with it, rarely interjecting

One I recommend is a 2-parter - Harry Redknapp - fantastic & funny listen, particularly his dealings signing non-contracted players

Listened to Graham Hunters podcasts lately - some very good interviews there & a good style by him, he asks a general question & lets the interviewee run with it, rarely interjecting

One I recommend is a 2-parter - Harry Redknapp - fantastic & funny listen, particularly his dealings signing non-contracted players

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

D'Agger wrote: »

I listened to all of them, interesting alright. Not a fan of Graham, licks their arse a bit too much for my liking. First part of Harry (another guy I really dislike) was brilliant. Terry Butcher was great too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭theflipdave

Yeah, that podcast is great

Advertisement