Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skateboarding!!!

• 26-12-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Okay,first off I just want to say I don't see skateboarding as an extreme sport,or even just a sport. I used to do it in my teens just for something to do and because I never really fitted into any other social group.
    The thing is I would really like to get back into it,the problem is that I am 27,I do not know anyone my age who still does it, I actually don't know anyone who does it. I really want to get back into it. I live in D15 so there is a semi okay park there but I don't want to be seen there as the old guy that can't skate well.
    I was just wondering if there are any places I could go were I wouldn't be laughed at or made fun of and if there is anyone else out there in a similar situation?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

You're 27 and you reckon you're too old?
    The older generation of skaters get together for a session at SOFD in santry on tuesdays.
    We are mostly in our 30s with a few of us in our 40s. At 27 you're a long way off old skater status so just get out there and skate, I would say most serious skaters are your age, yeah there's a lot of younger guys too but plenty of guys in their mis twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Hey shagman nice post but are those guys you speak of complete beginners? I'd be a complete noob if i took it up but I guess the more you practice the quicker you'd improve right?

If you gave me a board now all I could do is an ollie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Salhanen

Thanks for the reply shagman,but maybe you don't understand what I was getting at.
    I used to skate a **** load when I was in my teens.I haven't been on a board in nearly ten years.
    I don't want to be skating around town looking like that old guy that is just starting to skate and I have absolutely no one to skate with,that is a bit of a turn off for me.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere where I could skate without people watching or judging me (and please no one tell me "don't give a **** what anyone thinks" its not that easy)
    I really want to get back into it but having no one to skate with or anywhere to skate is not ideal.
    Anyone,any help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneOmak

Im actually just wondering the same myself. Im 23 and want to get back into it. I used to skate a lot up till about 17 but eventually it was just me skatin on my tod and i gave up. Thing is im still crazy about the sport. I was just wonderin if its time to get back on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

here's a few skateboarding photos on another boards thread that I posted from a recent trip to Brussels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Lads, it's always the right time to start again.
    I don't do much conventional skating anymore but I got a Penny Board a while back and it is serious fun.

If you're concerned about people seeing up when you're learning just find an empty carpark/multi story and get use to it again.
    Convincing a mate to skate will make it easier but that's easier said than done. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hollajack

Salhanen, I'm wondering how you got on in since you posted this. I've recently got back into skating a bit. I'm 27 too and got a little cruiser board about a year ago, having not skated at all for about 12 years. I've got the urge now to learn how to skate street again but don't really have anyone to skate with. I don't want to be the only older guy in the skatepark surrounded by (and being shown up by) kids!

Does anyone know if that older skaters' meet up still going on in SOfD? Skated a lot there in my teens so it's probably as good a place as any to learn again.

If not, maybe we can start an older-beginners group...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HeeBeeGeeBee

hollajack wrote: »
    Salhanen, I'm wondering how you got on in since you posted this. I've recently got back into skating a bit. I'm 27 too and got a little cruiser board about a year ago, having not skated at all for about 12 years. I've got the urge now to learn how to skate street again but don't really have anyone to skate with. I don't want to be the only older guy in the skatepark surrounded by (and being shown up by) kids!

Does anyone know if that older skaters' meet up still going on in SOfD? Skated a lot there in my teens so it's probably as good a place as any to learn again.

If not, maybe we can start an older-beginners group...

Hows things,

I'm 34 and strongly considering buying myself a board. Was walking past the old bank of Ireland building there on Sunday and there were a group of older guys skating there and I was just hypnotized. Not that they were doing any amazing tricks or anything, just the sound of the boards and seeing them on them brought it all back to me. I used to love skateboarding and I'm kind of sorry I ever gave it up. Would love to get back into it so keep me posted about the older group thing if anything comes of it.

Thanks man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

shagman wrote: »
    You're 27 and you reckon you're too old?
    The older generation of skaters get together for a session at SOFD in santry on tuesdays.
    We are mostly in our 30s with a few of us in our 40s. At 27 you're a long way off old skater status so just get out there and skate, I would say most serious skaters are your age, yeah there's a lot of younger guys too but plenty of guys in their mis twenties.

Hey, sorry for butting in unannounced.....

Your username got me thinking. Were you involved in building a halfpipe in a back garden in the late 80s? Just off Ballyroan Rd in Rathfarnham?

If so, long time no see!

If not, this probably seems a bit weird. Ignore.

:D

Yeah that was the first ramp we built, about 20 ramps later me and Roger still skate regularly. Look up the Hill street documentary that'll bring back some memories. Pretty much all of the old Clives/Baggot street crew still skate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HeeBeeGeeBee

shagman wrote: »
    Yeah that was the first ramp we built, about 20 ramps later me and Roger still skate regularly. Look up the Hill street documentary that'll bring back some memories. Pretty much all of the old Clives/Baggot street crew still skate.

Clives, my God I loved that place. It was like walking into heaven back in the day. I remember getting all my gear out of there. Plan B decks, independent trucks, vision streetwear et al. It was a magic spot altogether, always lads outside doing tricks. Do you mind me asking are all you guys skating since then? I haven't had my foot on a board in about fifteen years and I dont know if I'd feel a bit of a plank trying again now. I probably wasn't as good as I thought I was back then anyway :) I loved it though. Still love seeing people on them and if I have any kids in the future I would love to get them into it.

Yeah most of that crew never gave up, in fact we're in the middle of a game of S.K.A.T.E on facebook. Age limit is 35 and older and videos being up loaded from all over the planet! Sure why would you give up skateboarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Bumping an old thread... Any old skateboarders around limerick? Im in my 30s and woukd love to give it a go. Any advice on a beginner board?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭GazPat

Hey Guys,

I am an older beginner myself, My 8 year old daughter decided to take it up and loves it and as we live close to the monkstown park i find myself sitting around watching everyone have fun everyweek I bring her down.

There are older guys down there skating, bmx'ing and on blades.

I bit the bullet this week and went online and bought a mid range board €90 ..

Pads and Helmet also bought as I will need them. I'd honestly be the worst skater in the place and honestly couldn't care.

I'm out of action now for a week or two with a broken toe, but myself and my daughter (My excuse to go lol) do be there most weekends..

Is there any forums or boards for the older guys to arrange a meetup session or anything. Might be more fun if more people get together. Help the learning process etc.

Anyone around monkstown area ? I do be in the park most weekends let me know via pm if you want to meet up down there...

If not i'll be the overweight old dude with scrapes and bruises :D
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nominal

Hey peoples. I caught the bug again recently on holiday, my niece and nephew had penny boards and I was rollin them around the estate for hours. I never had a proper wide board as a kid and any time I tried to ollie I couldnt do it but a friend told me how its done recently and i think for the first time, I got air on a skateboard. I've done a bit of snowboarding and wasnt bad at that but there arent any ski lifts around dublin(yet), I picked up an old board for a 10er so i can practice and am getting pads to practice a bit more recklessly (but mainly so my old brittle bones dont shatter!!). I am also wondering where I can practice without looking like a tool. Is santry still on these days? I know there are parks near me now, in fairview park and father collins park out past donaghmede. I'd love to find out where to go. I'm based in Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭GazPat

nominal wrote: »
    Hey peoples. I caught the bug again recently on holiday, my niece and nephew had penny boards and I was rollin them around the estate for hours. I never had a proper wide board as a kid and any time I tried to ollie I couldnt do it but a friend told me how its done recently and i think for the first time, I got air on a skateboard. I've done a bit of snowboarding and wasnt bad at that but there arent any ski lifts around dublin(yet), I picked up an old board for a 10er so i can practice and am getting pads to practice a bit more recklessly (but mainly so my old brittle bones dont shatter!!). I am also wondering where I can practice without looking like a tool. Is santry still on these days? I know there are parks near me now, in fairview park and father collins park out past donaghmede. I'd love to find out where to go. I'm based in Raheny.

Is SOfD closed. Was out there today with my daughter at 1pm and place was closed.

Anyone know if they are closed for good ? Or when they open and if they have a phone number to ring to make sure they are open before heading out.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Hey I am wondering if someone could help me. Looking for a quicker way to get from A to B (bus to Luas) on my commute. I'm trying to decide between a longboard (cruiser style) and a standard skateboard.

I am an avid snowboarder and I'm looking at practicing my carving as much as possible in any way I can. Is a longboard best for this?

I should point out that snowboarding is the only form of boarding I have ever done!

Hey I am wondering if someone could help me. Looking for a quicker way to get from A to B (bus to Luas) on my commute. I'm trying to decide between a longboard (cruiser style) and a standard skateboard.

I am an avid snowboarder and I'm looking at practicing my carving as much as possible in any way I can. Is a longboard best for this?

I should point out that snowboarding is the only form of boarding I have ever done!

Long boards are horribly unpractical in a city, I've learned this from experience.

Consider a Penny board or a wooden equivalent. Penny's are just a cheap, fast and robust as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

CianRyan wrote: »
    Long boards are horribly unpractical in a city, I've learned this from experience.

Consider a Penny board or a wooden equivalent. Penny's are just a cheap, fast and robust as hell.
    Thanks for that, I had come across them alright! Must check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stefanc

Hi. So, are there any skaters in Dublin willing to put up with a noob? I skated when I was younger but gave up. I'm 20 and looking to start again, but it would be cool to have people to meet to help and encourage and so on. I'd rather not be the weird older guy with a bunch of kids, so anyone older would be awesome.
    I'm near Fr Collins' park, which has a skatepark, so anyone near here would be great. I'm sound, like. Swear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 stefanc

Kind of depends on where the bus and luas stops are but in general longboards arent that practical unless youve got a lot of straight roads with few sharp bends. You will have to carry it around and stuff afterwards and they arent exactly small

Just thinking, Grasshopper Skateboards are Irish, eco friendly, small business and have just the board for you.
    Their DNA mini cruiser looks great.
    https://www.facebook.com/grasshopperskateboards

STRGHT make beautiful boards but they're really expensive.
    I'm considering one for towards the summer though.
    http://www.strght.com/2014_Collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

Anybody here interested of buying a brand new set of Bones Super Reds bearings? Unopened and legit, selling it for 30 because I have 3 other sets of bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GoingBonkers

27 years old isn't too old. Are you kidding me? We have speed BASE jumping and skydiving until they're dead. And many famous skateboarders are the same age or older than you. Not that you need any of those reasons to do it. Do what you love brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Hey guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread! Just wondering if any of you are still skating, I'm 26 and picked up a board for the first time in 10 years! Would love to meet up with a group to get back skating...was never much good, but have the bug again!

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Just getting back into skating myself as my kids have really started to love it.. Im 40 so way older than the kids at the park (and most of you).. i usually just stand around and watch my kids and when it gets quite i jump on!! Limerick has some decent spots and i know a couple of the older guys (not as old as me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭elcowboyspace

I'm trying to get into skating with my 7 year old. I tried it when I was around 16/17 but never really got anywhere. I think I discovered girls and pubs so the board didn't stand a chance. I'm 33 now and I enjoy the bit of craic with the little fellah. I have that issue of being the oldest and worst skater at the park now ( Should they be called scooter parks now rather than skateparks? ) I saw the post earlier about the older generation meeting in Santry on Tuesdays and it's a shame that closed down. I'm in Santry myself. Are there any remaining groups of older guys that still get together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Came across this thread and thought I’d check in to see if any older skaters are still around anywhere? I’m trying to find some lessons for newbie adults at the moment but that seems pretty tricky so would welcome any suggestions there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

blondie83 wrote: »
    Came across this thread and thought I’d check in to see if any older skaters are still around anywhere? I’m trying to find some lessons for newbie adults at the moment but that seems pretty tricky so would welcome any suggestions there too!

Im even older now than when i posted above does that count?!? :D

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

So anyone on this thread stick to it? If so how you getting on?

Advertisement