Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Grant Regulations for Masters Students from 2012/2013 onward***

• 26-05-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭

Just to note, as it has come up in many threads here, the below are the regulations on grants for Masters students in the upcoming academic year:
    Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant scheme. However, students on the lowest level of income entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year who qualify for the special rate of grant will be eligible to qualify to have tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit under the Student Grant scheme
    A limited number of other low-income students who would previously have qualified under the standard grant thresholds will qualify to have a €2,000 contribution made towards the costs of their fees. However, there will be a new income threshold for this payment which will be lower than the standard grant threshold. The income threshold for this level of grant is currently being determined in the context of the formulation of the student grant scheme for the 2012-13 year.

Source here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Hi, I started my masters in february, and will finish just after xmas. As I entered it in the 2011/2012 academic year and finish in the 2012/2013, how would I go about applying? Just apply as normal when it opens this year?

I've already paid the fees myself and never applied last year as I moved house a few times etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Hi, I started my masters in february, and will finish just after xmas. As I entered it in the 2011/2012 academic year and finish in the 2012/2013, how would I go about applying? Just apply as normal when it opens this year?

I've already paid the fees myself and never applied last year as I moved house a few times etc

I think it might be too late to apply - I'm not really sure

Maybe ring SUSI support at 0761 08 7874

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

was any information released on the financial cut off point for the masters funding?

forfcksake wrote: »
    was any information released on the financial cut off point for the masters funding?

Read the documents called student grant scheme 2012 and student suppory scheme 2012 at - do a search in them for postgraduate.

http://ym.adnet.ie/mp9519/further-downloads/index.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 1630

forfcksake wrote: »

Read the documents called student grant scheme 2012 and student suppory scheme 2012 at - do a search in them for postgraduate.

http://ym.adnet.ie/mp9519/further-downloads/index.html

This may be a silly question but what tution student mean? I have read this document numerous times but I'm still none the wiser on if postgraduate students are entitled to fees paid or what, can anyone shed some light on the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

So you can potentially have your postgrad fees paid ? Subject to income levels ?

or am I misunderstanding this ?

wrong info

1630 wrote: »
    Sorry I still don't get this what is the postgraduate fee contribution? And does that apply to tution fees. For instance if I'm living at home with 0-3 dependants with an income level of under 45k, am I entitled to anything?

Now I'm really confused myself. I don't know - better off contacting susi support

Terry Pratchet

I've had a read through the website and as far as I can see postgrads are eligible to apply for €2000 towards their fees, if their income is below 31,500. That's the postgrad fee contribution. Thats all, unless you qualify under the special rate conditions.

Postgraduate Fee Contribution

Applicants pursuing postgraduate studies whose reckonable income is below the limit specified for a Postgraduate Fee Contribution in Schedule 1 of the Student Grant Scheme 2012 may be eligible for a €2,000 contribution towards the costs of their fees.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9552/grant-levels/index.html

CommanderC wrote: »
    I've had a read through the website and as far as I can see postgrads are eligible to apply for €2000 towards their fees, if their income is below 31,500. That's the postgrad fee contribution. Thats all, unless you qualify under the special rate conditions.

Applicants pursuing postgraduate studies whose reckonable income is below the limit specified for a Postgraduate Fee Contribution in Schedule 1 of the Student Grant Scheme 2012 may be eligible for a €2,000 contribution towards the costs of their fees.

Where's the paragraph about the special rate that you mention?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Would that income level apply to what I have earned in the past year or would it depend on where I'm living

That was from citizens advice.

I just rang SUSI there, but I'm more confused about the situation.

That was from citizens advice.

I just rang SUSI there, but I'm more confused about the situation.

Yeah nothing is clear at all is it, what the SUSI say? Do you have a number I can call them on?

Yeah the number is 0761 08 7874

The guy basically said, just go to schedule 1 and the income limits there, are the ones you need to look at . I told him I was enquiring regarding postgad study, not undergrad study and he said that that fine and again, to look at the income limits to see what is applicable ie 100%, 75% etc.

He also said that there are no maintenance grants.

I guess I still find it confusing because of the inclusion of the postgrad fee contribution. I thought this was replacing all grants that were formerly available to postgrads but is that something you can get on top your fees if your income is below 31,500. (I should have asked that also- I might ring again.

The guy basically said, just go to schedule 1 and the income limits there, are the ones you need to look at . I told him I was enquiring regarding postgad study, not undergrad study and he said that that fine and again, to look at the income limits to see what is applicable ie 100%, 75% etc.

I guess I still find it confusing because of the inclusion of the postgrad fee contribution. I thought this was replacing all grants that were formerly available to postgrads but is that something you can get on top your fees if your income is below 31,500. (I should have asked that also- I might ring again.

I'd ring them back. It's not clear at all.

Terry Pratchet

I'd ring them back. It's not clear at all.

Yeah that's what seems to be confusing all of us, that postgraduate contribution. I will try ringing them at lunch and get back to yous here

Yeah that's what seems to be confusing all of us, that postgraduate contribution. I will try ringing them at lunch and get back to yous here

I think I've finally figured this out

1 if you earn less than 31500 you can get a contribution of 2000 towards fees
    2 if you qualify for the special rate (i.e. earning less than 22,703 and receiving a social welfare payment) then you can get a fee grant of upto €6,270 which ties in with what CommanderC said

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sarah88

I think I've finally figured this out

1 if you earn less than 31500 you can get a contribution of 2000 towards fees
    2 if you qualify for the special rate (i.e. earning less than 22,703 and receiving a social welfare payment) then you can get a fee grant of upto €6,270 which ties in with what CommanderC said

I think you are right mango salsa, this is what citizens information also sayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spunkbass

What if I earn less than 22,703 and I have never applied for social welfare? Then I am not eligible for the 6270?

spunkbass wrote: »
    What if I earn less than 22,703 and I have never applied for social welfare? Then I am not eligible for the 6270?

Yes thats what I gather, unless you are dependant on your parents, and they are in reciept of social welfare. Then both your's and your parents incomes will be combined. If that total is under 22,703 you are classed under the special rate and can get your fee's paid.

• Advertisement

Yes
    (7) It is a condition of receiving a special rate of maintenance grant that an applicant’s reckonable income must include, on the specified date, one of the eligible payments as provided for in Schedule 2 .
    Eligible payments for the special rate of maintenance grant for the
    2012/13 academic year

As at 31 December 2011, the reckonable income must include one of the eligible payments listed in this Schedule net of—
    (a) income disregards (as set out in article 22(4) of this Scheme); and
    (b) Child Dependant Increase (C.D.I.), where paid by the Department of Social Protection.

Social Assistance Payments
    1. Blind Pension
    2. Carer’s Allowance
    3. One Parent Family Payment
    4. Deserted Wife’s Allowance
    5. Disability Allowance
    6. Farm Assist
    7. Jobseeker’s Allowance (where held for 391 days or more)*
    8. State Pension (Non-Contributory)
    9. Guardian’s Payment (Non-Contributory)
    10. Pre-retirement allowance
    11. Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partners (Non-Contributory) Pension

Social Insurance Payments
    12. Carer’s Benefit
    13. Deserted Wife’s Benefit
    14. Invalidity pension
    15. Incapacity Supplement
    16. Occupational Injuries Death Benefit (Orphan’s pension)
    17. Occupational Injuries Death Benefit (pension for a widow or widower)
    18. State Pension (Contributory)
    19. Guardian’s Payment (Contributory)
    20. Jobseeker’s Benefit (continuous for at least 12 months)*
    21. Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partners (Contributory) Pension
    22. State Pension (Transition)

Designated Programmes
    23. Back to Education Allowance (Second Level and Third Level Options)
    24. Back to Work Allowance (Employees)
    25. Back to Work Enterprise Allowance
    26. Community Employment Scheme
    27. Rural Social Scheme
    28. Tús Initiative
    29. FÁS Training Programmes, including Apprenticeships
    30. Part time job incentive scheme
    31. Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS)

Others
    32. Foster Care Allowance where paid in respect of the applicant
    33. Family Income Supplement (FIS)
    34. In receipt of payments under the FIT (Fastrack to IT) initiative equivalent
    to a social welfare payment;
    35. Participants on a training course approved by a Government Department,
    State Agency or Area Partnership and who were in receipt of an eligible
    payment prior to progressing to the programme;
    36. Grant aided employees in Community Services Programmes (formerly
    social economy enterprises);
    37. In receipt of payments under the Senior Traveller Training Centre programmes.

*Combine periods of Jobseeker’s Allowance and Jobseeker’s Benefit and other eligible payments for purposes of meeting 391 days.

The Department of Social Protection Illness Benefit can also be used to combine periods of Jobseeker’s Allowance and Jobseeker’s Benefit provided a period of Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit comes directly before and directly after the period of Illness Benefit.

Terry Pratchet

Well i have to kiss my postgrad goodbye then....

I earned 4 times less than 22000, but never applied for a social welfare benefit of any kind, i was dependent on my parents last year, who earned less than that amount as well. I just don't understand - according to this logic if I had got paid EXTRA from the social welfare office then I would be eligible, but now that I earned too little money I am not.

So the best option is to go on the dole for a year and then I can get the fees paid next year. Great System - gives me a great incentive to make money for this government.

I earned 4 times less than 22000, but never applied for a social welfare benefit of any kind, i was dependent on my parents last year, who earned less than that amount as well. I just don't understand - according to this logic if I had got paid EXTRA from the social welfare office then I would be eligible, but now that I earned too little money I am not.

what about your parents - did they not receive any social welfare payment?

Terry Pratchet

So if I am working at the moment up until September and am on under 31k, am I elligible for the postgraduate contribution. I will be living at home for the duration of the course and my parents would be on more than 31k. Would it go by my earnings or my parents if im living there?

I am still assuming that if you earn under 31500e you can recieve 2000e towards your fee's and do not have to be in reciept of social welfere. I know that still leave's a bill of over 4000e, it's a terrible system which is going to leave a lot of people either unable to progress to a masters, or land themselves with a huge bill at the end.

My mother (single parent) is unfortunately not Irish and does not live in Ireland.

No wonder this country is bankrupt. I will now have to claim 200 euro every week for unemployment to get the country to pay me 6270 for my fees 2013/2014. Great system...

So if I am working at the moment up until September and am on under 31k, am I elligible for the postgraduate contribution. I will be living at home for the duration of the course and my parents would be on more than 31k. Would it go by my earnings or my parents if im living there?

They look at income earned from the 1st of Jan to the 31st of December 2011.

Depending on what your circumstances were last year, the income assessedcould be yours and your parents, yours and your spouse/partner or your alone. It depends on what kind of applicant you are:

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9545/step-1-check-what-type-of-applicant-you-are/index.html

sarah88 wrote: »
    I am still assuming that if you earn under 31500e you can recieve 2000e towards your fee's and do not have to be in reciept of social welfere. I know that still leave's a bill of over 4000e, it's a terrible system which is going to leave a lot of people either unable to progress to a masters, or land themselves with a huge bill at the end.

Yeah, you don't have to be on social welfare. Once your total income is below 31,500 you are eligible for the 2,000 towards your fees.

• Advertisement

This page is now available on the studentfinance.ie

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012/13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant Scheme 2012.

I think they should have worded this differently. Its not just the maintenance payment that applicants are no longer entitled to, its fees as well............except in circumstances where you meet the special rate or the PFC of €2,000.

They have made it sound like the maintenance part is gone but fees are still a possibility

That's just my opinion though :/

Advertisement