Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick NCT question.

Options
  • 29-11-2020 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

2010 reg car. Normal NCT due date 16/02/2021. New Covid NCT due date 16/06/2021. I have it in the back of my head that if you test a couple of months before the due date you can get two years test on a 10 year old car. Is that possible for this car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s already 10 years old by reg date? If yes, then you’re too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

colm_mcm wrote: »

Don't know about that? Mine is a 2010 as well and the NCT folks said I'd get a 2 year cert if I do it in January 21 (not due till mid April)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

It was a UK import. If it were an Irish car it would have been first tested in 2014, but this one was first tested in Feb 2017 when it was imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Don't know about that? Mine is a 2010 as well and the NCT folks said I'd get a 2 year cert if I do it in January 21 (not due till mid April)

Interesting. So do you reckon if I test it mid March I might get two years?

There is something about testing it before the due date to get the two years, but if you leave it too close to the due date you only get one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I got two years on my 2010, that was the month the covid extension was due to expire, had it booked 3 months before hand but had to reschedule.
    Car is originally Irish, and about 4 months after its original nct date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I thought once it’s over 10 years past original registration it was 1 year?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I thought once it’s over 10 years past original registration it was 1 year?

Normally is, I assume its something covid related, some are getting 2 years some one so who knows how it exactly works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

I had a similar situation but the rules may have changed in recent weeks. In the main covid nct thread people report that testing more than 90 days early rules may have changed, or at least warnings on the nct website are reworded/changed recently.

In the old days if you did nct MORE than 90 days before 10th birthday you would get 2 years from DATE OF TEST, and new test date from that date forward.

Covid gave some owners a later test date. In my case I tested AFTER car was 10 years old but MORE than 90 days before new test date, so car was just barely over 10, and I got a 2 year NCT rather than 1 year. They said this was allowed as they were closed for original old date

However people report you can no longer book ncts if more than 90 days early, or so it seems. I would ring call centre and check. Note 90 days is NOT 3 months and you can use online date calculators to determine what date you should have test passed by. I typically do say 100 days early, which allows time for silly fails such as blown bulbs or damaged tyres to be fixed and car restested.

For ordinary cars if you test WITHIN 90 days you get same date as if you tested on due date.

Advertisement