Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    I am often confused for a Dublin private schoolboy by all who meet me.

The lanky second year who had a growth spurt over the summer and is too big for the uniform mammy bought?

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Venjur wrote: »
    It just highlights how often the head comes into contact in rugby over other sports.

I believe there is now some sort of movement to try ban heading the ball at some levels of football as it seems that it's been causing some sort of head trauma related issues in later life.

The PR company running the UK have really gone full Trump. Trying to suggest Brexit is why they've been able to certify the vaccine and now this:

https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1334418762909487106

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Venjur wrote: »
    The PR company running the UK have really gone full Trump. Trying to suggest Brexit is why they've been able to certify the vaccine and now this:

https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1334418762909487106

Even the way the question is postulated is telling; the actual facts of the matter don't appear to come into it:
    And lastly, did the fact that Britain is in the process of and has Brexited, did that mean we got the vaccination, a world first ahead of the US and the EU, yes or no, do you believe?

Rees-Mogg was at it as well yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1334068994345754625

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That German vaccine, yeah?

(Yes, I know it's more complex than that.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is there anything inaccurate in what JRM and Hancock said in the above posts? The UK would still be awaiting approval on the vaccine if still in the EU. It's jingoistic triumphalism but it's not wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    Is there anything inaccurate in what JRM and Hancock said in the above posts? The UK would still be awaiting approval on the vaccine if still in the EU. It's jingoistic triumphalism but it's not wrong.

Yes. Not only are there mechanisms for individual countries to allow vaccines in an emergency before EU Approval but that is in fact how the UK did it as they are still within the framework of the EMA until Dec 31.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »

Technically nothing inaccurate in what Hancock said (in that tweet, at least) but what JRM said is just, well, not true.
    Dr June Raine(Boss, MHRA) - “We’ve been able to authorise supply of this vaccine using provisions under European law which exist until January 1st.”

aloooof wrote: »
    Technically nothing inaccurate in what Hancock said (in that tweet, at least) but what JRM said is just, well, not true.

Pretty sure Russia has approved their own vaccine already so technically Hancock isn't correct either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The MHRA themselves have a huge vested interest in getting out there ahead of the EU and US - they want to be in that top tier of regulators (along with Japan) who are in the first round of agencies that pharma companies consider. They absolutely dread the prospect of ending up in the second division alongside Canada, Australia and Switzerland - all very good agencies but definitely second fiddle to the big three.

This is a big statement to the industry that UK will approve your drugs quickly, please come to us with your applications.

I'm not saying they cut corners but they definitely did not delve into the data as much as FDA and EMA are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well the sore knee that I was hoping would heal with physio decided that it would properly let go today.
    Initial hospital diagnosis is torn meniscus, ligament damage and soft tissue damage around the kneecap. It's an MRI scan this week and a mad looking contraption to keep the knee stable.
    Should make for an interesting Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Well the sore knee that I was hoping would heal with physio decided that it would properly let go today.
    Initial hospital diagnosis is torn meniscus, ligament damage and soft tissue damage around the kneecap. It's an MRI scan this week and a mad looking contraption to keep the knee stable.

Ah ****e

Have you one of those mad half robotic contraptions?

Take care as a fellow sufferer of knee injuries i empathise

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah ****e

Have you one of those mad half robotic contraptions?

Take care as a fellow sufferer of knee injuries i empathise

It's not really a robotic yoke....more like a splinty (not a word I know) thing.
    I hope to god the MRI shows up something and I'm not left relying on "exercises" to help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah thats crap. Best make the best of it though. Cans to be delivered direct from the fridge to spare the knee.

Seriously though, rest up and hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted soon.

In other news, the latest episode of the Madalorian is f-ing awesome. Raging I've to wait a week for the next one. Its shaping up really well. Basically giving fans everything they've ever wanted.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah thats crap. Best make the best of it though. Cans to be delivered direct from the fridge to spare the knee.

Perhaps maybe some sort of bell to ring in order to draw attention to the fact that I need tended to?

Perhaps maybe some sort of bell to ring in order to draw attention to the fact that I need tended to?

A medicinal requirement surely?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In other news, the latest episode of the Madalorian is f-ing awesome. Raging I've to wait a week for the next one. Its shaping up really well. Basically giving fans everything they've ever wanted.

I'm waiting for the whole season to be out before I binge on season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Watched it with the kids. Brilliant fun, and it feels like it's being tied together and building nicely. Really short ep, though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jaysus.

That you off work for a while I'd say too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's not really a robotic yoke....more like a splinty (not a word I know) thing.
    I hope to god the MRI shows up something and I'm not left relying on "exercises" to help it.

Torn meniscus is a keyhole surgery job, depends how bad it is obviously but I was back playing 6 weeks after my first one. That's nearly 20 years ago, keyhole surgery has advanced a lot since. Ligaments... did they say which one(s)? Oh and yeah, beer therapy very important!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the whole season to be out before I binge on season 2

Episode 2 is a bit meh, and actually stands out now all the more given whats come since. But if you're even remotely a fan of Star Wars you should enjoy it. I wouldn't be a massive fan boy or anything but I've found myself getting giddy with it at times. Their ability to deliver on what people want is consistently good.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Episode 2 is a bit meh, and actually stands out now all the more given whats come since. But if you're even remotely a fan of Star Wars you should enjoy it. I wouldn't be a massive fan boy or anything but I've found myself getting giddy with it at times. Their ability to deliver on what people want is consistently good.

i watched all of season one with my then 10 year old, waited til every saturday and watched each episode each week

this season we missed the first one so we decided to wait and binge on them all together ...cant frikin wait !!

Ooof. I tore my ACL coming up on two years ago, had to wear a contraption for about 2 months but it got better surprisingly quickly. Do the physio properly and you'll be flying in no time. I managed a half marathon less than a year afterwards.

The sooner you get off the brace and start relying on your muscles the better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ooof. I tore my ACL coming up on two years ago, had to wear a contraption for about 2 months but it got better surprisingly quickly. Do the physio properly and you'll be flying in no time.

Don't do what Dave did and only did maybe two thirds of the physio, still having problems with my knee after doing my ACL seven years or so ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

The Mandalorian just gets better and better.
    Is anyone watching "Warrior"
    A Bruce Lee creation about the Chinese triads in San Francisco after the civil war..not in the same league as Mando or Tge Boys...but still a good watch imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

is the The Mandalorian worth watching for someone who doesn't care much for the movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    is the The Mandalorian worth watching for someone who doesn't care much for the movies?

Very much so...it's totally standalone and imo, superior to the movies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I empathise. Squashed my miniscus on a trampoline 10 years ago. Keyhole surgery a few months later actually didn't help much at all.
    Only thing that set me right was exercises (squats and lunges mainly). Still have to maintain a small regime of those today to stay pain free. But happy to do so.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    I empathise. Squashed my miniscus on a trampoline 10 years ago. Keyhole surgery a few months later actually didn't help much at all.
    Only thing that set me right was exercises (squats and lunges mainly). Still have to maintain a small regime of those today to stay pain free. But happy to do so.

I'm going to have to embrace exercise unfortunately. I like cycling and swimming so they will be a staple going forward. To be fair I'm probably carrying between half and one stone too much in weight....I'm 13 stone and could really do with being closer to 12.
    So since I turned 40 I've had root canal, kidney stones, a double hernia operation and now a banjaxed knee. Cannot wait to see what my 50's bring.

Advertisement