Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Mattress to buy

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

There's no way you could have got used to it in 2 nights, my other half halted it at the start refused to sleep in it, now swears by it. Takes a while to get used to it.

I've never woken up in pain from any other mattress. I'm not willing to give my bed weeks or months to get used to, I want it to be comfortable right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's no way you could have got used to it in 2 nights, my other half halted it at the start refused to sleep in it, now swears by it. Takes a while to get used to it.

This is an important note. That's why places will give 2-3 month trials. Takes a few weeks to adjust. In saying that I took to my IKEA mattress immediately but I've spent many years on the cheapest mattress available.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

jlm29 wrote: »
    Someone told me that when they contacted Emma about getting their money back they were told to donate the mattress to charity, get a receipt, send it in, and then they were to get a refund.

Yes they told us this too.

Of course, no charity will accept a used mattress during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Does anybody know of a really good motion isolation mattress?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Does anybody know of a really good motion isolation mattress?

Do you mean to reduce motion transfer? We had huge problems with this (used to have a cheap spring mattress combined with wobbly bed - the whole bed used to shake every time one of us turned over) and we got a Dormeo S Plus because it's got two separate mattresses within the one cover. It works really well, I can't feel any movement at all (disclaimer - we got a new bed at the same time so that probably helped too). I've no association with them, I just did a lot of research and considered other options such as Emma and Eve as well. Memory foam seems to be the best option for reducing motion transfer.

• Advertisement

kyomi wrote: »
    Do you mean to reduce motion transfer? We had huge problems with this (used to have a cheap spring mattress combined with wobbly bed - the whole bed used to shake every time one of us turned over) and we got a Dormeo S Plus because it's got two separate mattresses within the one cover. It works really well, I can't feel any movement at all (disclaimer - we got a new bed at the same time so that probably helped too). I've no association with them, I just did a lot of research and considered other options such as Emma and Eve as well. Memory foam seems to be the best option for reducing motion transfer.

Hi thanks, I'd already gone and bought an Emma mattress, have had it two nights now and certainly a big improvement. We would have bought sooner but didn't realise it was all compacted in a box which makes delivery easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Anybody buy the Hilton 3000 from Dublinbeds ?
    It looks good, twin sided, memory foam on one side , orthopaedic on the other .
    https://dublinbeds.ie/product/hilton-3000-mattress-hilton-2000-upgrade/

Zardoz wrote: »
    Anybody buy the Hilton 3000 from Dublinbeds ?
    It looks good, twin sided, memory foam on one side , orthopaedic on the other .
    https://dublinbeds.ie/product/hilton-3000-mattress-hilton-2000-upgrade/

I was looking into it and in touch with them, it was recoomended for motion isolation, if that's important to you. I went for Emma Mattress in the end though primarily for ease of delivery as it was vacuum packed.

I was looking into it and in touch with them, it was recoomended for motion isolation, if that's important to you. I went for Emma Mattress in the end though primarily for ease of delivery as it was vacuum packed.

Thanks, I've ordered one now .
    I like the fact that its a turnable mattress and seems to get good feedback .

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thanks, I've ordered one now .
    I like the fact that its a turnable mattress and seems to get good feedback .
    Least you waited a day to make the decision, with a big decision like a mattress purchase, always best to sleep on it first!

• Advertisement

Least you waited a day to make the decision, with a big decision like a mattress purchase, always best to sleep on it first!

I'd been thinking it over for a number of weeks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Planning a new mattress purchase soon and was considering an Emma, but I've decided not to buy one I can't try out first. I'll look into an IKEA mattress after reading this thread, but just wanted to add that I am replacing a King Koil mattress that did not stand the test of time, am very disappointed after investing in a "good" mattress. I tried to have it replaced under warranty, Arrnotts sent somebody out who came up with some reason it wasn't covered. Just my experience, that said I got a King Koil based on recommendations from family.

Any suggestions if I want to try to buy Irish?

I think the King Koil mattresses are fairly overrated and overpriced for what you actually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

imfml wrote: »
    Planning a new mattress purchase soon and was considering an Emma, but I've decided not to buy one I can't try out first. I'll look into an IKEA mattress after reading this thread, but just wanted to add that I am replacing a King Koil mattress that did not stand the test of time, am very disappointed after investing in a "good" mattress. I tried to have it replaced under warranty, Arrnotts sent somebody out who came up with some reason it wasn't covered. Just my experience, that said I got a King Koil based on recommendations from family.

Any suggestions if I want to try to buy Irish?

We have a natural sleep company mattress. They’re an Irish company, I think mayBe cork based. It’s our second one. The first one lasted really well and was very comfy. The second one has taken a while to get used to, but overall I’m happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Respa

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

For me, the best one is King Koil Club 4 (its a hospitality matress). I had the best sleep in one of the hotels. I checked what matress they had and got the same for home. Its just perfectly firm and also very durable

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

You used to be able to test Emma in arnotts, i found it too soft. I also didnt like Easca, which was firmer but still i got backpain. I also had trouble getting the 100 day try it out refund

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jillette

I’m looking tips on where to buy/order a Hypnos king mattress. Arnotts do have them, but priced at €999 - would appreciate any tips on where to source one at a better price? Bigmickey.ie don’t seem to have them right now, and other Irish stores who come up in Google searches then don’t quote price or availability on the page (grrrr......)

• Company Representative Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

jillette wrote: »
    I’m looking tips on where to buy/order a Hypnos king mattress. Arnotts do have them, but priced at €999 - would appreciate any tips on where to source one at a better price? Bigmickey.ie don’t seem to have them right now, and other Irish stores who come up in Google searches then don’t quote price or availability on the page (grrrr......)

Hi jillette

Always best to e mail or phone as everything is not listed on our web site. WE are closed until January 4th but emails will be answered in the meantime.

Bigmickey.ie Team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Are 3 foot x 6 foot six a popular size for the longer bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Are the IKEA mattresses under €100 any good?

VADSÖ Sprung mattress and MOSHULT Foam mattress

A mattress is needed for guest bed - guest can and has slept in all sorts of places and wouldn’t like like a need too comfortable - but when I saw the are delivered rolled up I hesitated- yet the are the same thickness as most other mattresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have one of the inexpensive foam mattresses on a guest bed for a few years. It is a perfectly good mattress. I have heard of people who have tried lots of different expensive mattresses and in the end preferred one of these.

There is nothing wrong with a mattress delivered rolled up. All of the budget and mid-range mattresses come like this.

I have one of the inexpensive foam mattresses on a guest bed for a few years. It is a perfectly good mattress. I have heard of people who have tried lots of different expensive mattresses and in the end preferred one of these.

There is nothing wrong with a rolled up mattress.

Thank you.

Now I just need to to find an inexpensive bed. I was going to get a folding bed like a JayBe as that would suit her down to the ground but I don’t think they’d be suitable for sitting up in reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Spacific

You should always have a good bed and a good pair of shoes because if you are not in one you are in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Spacific wrote: »
    You should always have a good bed and a good pair of shoes because if you are not in one you are in the other.

Words to live by!

And you should never make your guest bed too comfortable - they should be yearning for their own bed after a couple of nights so they don't overstay their welcome!

Spacific wrote: »

I’ve had times in my life with neither... :)

Words to live by!

And you should never make your guest bed too comfortable - they should be yearning for their own bed after a couple of nights so they don't overstay their welcome!

If there is a limit to how long they can stay, they ain’t staying at all ...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rosey999

air wrote: »
    Can recommend the IKEA HAMARVIK highly in the firm version, only €179 for a king and I can't fault it.
    It's pocket sprung with a foam top layer & the cover zips off.

We used to put the medium Ikea Hamarvik in all of our holiday rentals, and always got great feedback from guests. I've slept on it, and wouldn't recommend it personally for a permanent mattress, but it's perfect for a guest room and also visually looks like good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

Some people prefer the traditional pocket sprung and others prefer a memory foam mattress or a hybrid of both. That's a personal choice and can depend on your body size, weight and whether you sleep on back or side.

As "Which" the independent magazine/website says "Make the wrong choice and you risk being lumbered with a needlessly expensive mattress that's uncomfortable, unsupportive and unable to stand the test of time without sagging and softening". 

Actually last year one of the cheaper foam type Ikea mattress got a "best buy" recommendation from "Which". For a permanent mattress I would go for a hybrid pocket sprung and a layer of memory foam. It is a personal choice but don't bet on the most expensive one being the best! Its likely it will not be!

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mattresses/article/how-to-buy-the-best-mattress-atlAf8V9fiZN - Which?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

Ultimate Flotation by Natural Sleep Company. A 5 foot is about 850 and worth every cent. Search online for a local distributor and see what you think.

Advertisement