Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asexuality

• 28-11-2020 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Why is asexuality considered rare in men? Asexuality is said to be rare (only 1% of the worlds population) but it seems even doubly rare among men.

I've gone to the website asexuality.org/aven and most users are women, few men.

The reasons given for this are that heteronormative gender culture defines masculinity as constantly pursuing women romantically and sexually. Men are shamed more for having not having sex whereas for women, it's the opposite.

Also, there are way more women who have problems with getting aroused/orgasming compared to men so women are more likely to consider themselves asexual.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Mod Note: I've locked this to discuss it with other mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexpatt

I think that's definitely due to the Western concept of masculinity. You've got to be strong, potent and always-horny.

So I assume more men are hesitant to publicly discuss their asexuality as it might be associated with weakness and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TornadoAli

Also, there are way more women who have problems with getting aroused/orgasming compared to men so women are more likely to consider themselves asexual.

That's not a good argument though since arousal and orgasms doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a person's sexuality.

Advertisement