Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car reversed into me - next step

Options
  • 25-11-2020 4:01pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place.

I will try give as much info as possible. I have reported it to the Gardai, I'm just wondering how to proceed.

I was coming out of a private property (my place of work) today. There is a road (t junction) that I was driving across the road to join (in the picture I was going from X to Y - in red).

There was a gap in traffic as there was a red light further up the road.

When I was crossing, a woman who was driving in the direction of the blue arrow, reversed to allow a car cross the junction in front of her.

She was not moving when I started to drive.

She reversed into the front driver wing of my car.

We exchanged details but she said that I was in the wrong as I was coming from a private property. I didn't at any stage admit liability, but I said that she should not have been reversing on a road without looking.

She said she is happy to let it go and she left. I said I would contact her later and I reported it to the Gardai, just to have it on record.

Ultimately it is a he said she said thing. But my question:
    - what is my next step? Do I report it to my insurance company?
    - where is the liability? Can I claim from her insurance?

I'm totally lost here.

No injuries to either of us. Classic fender bender but more damage to my car than hers.

(Will upload photo now)

534158.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motors -> Insurance

Do report it to your insurer. They will guide you through the process even if it a small fender bender and nothing more will come of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

biko wrote: »
    Motors -> Insurance

Do report it to your insurer. They will guide you through the process even if it a small fender bender and nothing more will come of it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Did you take pictures. If I'm understanding this properly it sounds like she is at fault and pictures will reflect this

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you have any witnesses that can say she reversed into you?

Were you stopped when the collision happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

pretty sure a reverser has no right of way ,

yes you should give way to anyone on a road from a private property , but not a reverser on a public road .

you need to prove it though , dash cam or witness?

id say shes happy to leave it because she is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Did you take pictures. If I'm understanding this properly it sounds like she is at fault and pictures will reflect this

I have pictures. Where the damage is on both cars, it’s fairly clear to see that she didn’t look in her rear view mirror.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you have any witnesses that can say she reversed into you?

Were you stopped when the collision happened?

No witness. I stopped when I saw her reverse, but it was a split second thing - I was driving straight and she reversed into me.
    pretty sure a reverser has no right of way ,

yes you should give way to anyone on a road from a private property , but not a reverser on a public road .

you need to prove it though , dash cam or witness?

id say shes happy to leave it because she is wrong

Garda said that there isn’t a time where somebody should reverse on a public road in those circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

she was probably blocking the junction as well ....

she was probably blocking the junction as well ....

She was, but there's no yellow box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

How come you didn,t hit your car horn if you saw her reversing towards your car?

Have you photos of the damage caused to both cars?

In my opinion I suggest she is at fault for failing to look and observe before maneuvering into reverse on a public road, risky manoeuvre at the best of times to do.

Sounds like there should be a yellow box at the junction in question. Id fire off an email to D.C.C roads dept to suggest they paint a yellow box.

You say fender bender but if she has damaged your front wing, you may need a new wing or to get the crease/damage buffed out, re-sprayed, if its metallic paint, more expensive. I cant judge without a photo of the damage.

So parts, labour, paint, V.A.T., it all adds up OP.

Glad you reported it to the Garda and deffo inform your insurance company.

The other party say its okay, however when they go home, talk to other people, they could claim against you, so get in there 1st and report it to your insurance company. You dont want any nasty surprises down the road, forgive the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

You may be both in the wrong but the accident was caused for by the person not looking. Happened me once overtaking on a white line and another car pulled out to do a u-turn. Guards told me I was in the wrong but I won the case because the other person did not look in their mirrors before attempting the u-turn, itself an illegal move as they were crossing the same white line.

These days you have to inform your insurers and they take control of any claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement