Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Training to increase my speed

• 25-11-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I have a target of running a 10k in 50 minutes, hopefully by April/May next year.

3 years ago, I was just outside that time (I did 10 k in 51 mins) but I lost a lot of ground since then.

So ultimately, I am trying to get to a 5 minute per km pace.

I have a circuit that I have been running over the last 6-8 weeks. It's just over 3 km and I usually do two laps. I can run this comfortably (So 6 km) at a pace of around 6:30 per km. I feel I could probably do another lap no problem at that pace and increase it to 9km. But I am finding that no matter what I do, I just can't increase the pace.

Since last week I have tried only doing a single lap (3k) and trying to increase the pace but I haven't really had any luck, I feel like I am almost stuck in a rhythm of the pace I am in and any attempt to increase that at all seems to kill me.

Just wondering, what kind of training should I be doing to try and get that pace up ?
    Should I push on and do 10k runs (I could probably do it now) and not worry how fast it is at all for a while yet ?
    Should I do very short runs (10 X 100m sprints)...?
    Is there something in the Gym I could/should be doing ?

TIA for any feedback/advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

BnB wrote: »
    I have a target of running a 10k in 50 minutes, hopefully by April/May next year.

3 years ago, I was just outside that time (I did 10 k in 51 mins) but I lost a lot of ground since then.

So ultimately, I am trying to get to a 5 minute per km pace.

I have a circuit that I have been running over the last 6-8 weeks. It's just over 3 km and I usually do two laps. I can run this comfortably (So 6 km) at a pace of around 6:30 per km. I feel I could probably do another lap no problem at that pace and increase it to 9km. But I am finding that no matter what I do, I just can't increase the pace.

Since last week I have tried only doing a single lap (3k) and trying to increase the pace but I haven't really had any luck, I feel like I am almost stuck in a rhythm of the pace I am in and any attempt to increase that at all seems to kill me.

Just wondering, what kind of training should I be doing to try and get that pace up ?
    Should I push on and do 10k runs (I could probably do it now) and not worry how fast it is at all for a while yet ?
    Should I do very short runs (10 X 100m sprints)...?
    Is there something in the Gym I could/should be doing ?

TIA for any feedback/advice

I posted this on the fitness forum a few days ago, (with some edits) and while it was information for someone else, a lot would apply to to you as well

You need to structure your training week. Something like this.
    Monday easy 5k, you could add in 5 x 20 second strides (not sprints) think more about lengthen your stride.
    Tuesday 1.5/2k easy warm up, cool down 6x.400 hill strides (not sprints) with jog back recovery
    Wednesday easy 5k
    Thursday rest day
    Friday 1.5/2k warm cool down. 10 mins at approx 80% of max HR
    Saturday easy 3/4 k or rest day
    Sunday easy 8k.

All the easy runs should be approx 70% of max hr.
    This is only an example to begin with and can be progressed as you get fitter.

While it's important to have metrics to monitor improvement, you dont need to do this on a daily or even week basis. You can repeat your metric test again in a weeks and make any adjustments then.
    Most people starting out running run to hard, you say your runs are at 80% of max HR, try to ease back on most of your runs.
    Try to increase the duration of one of your weekly runs, but please DO NOT do this at your regular pace, slow it down a bit.
    While doing some s&c is always a benefit, it should be done to supplement your training.

Increase you aerobic capacity by increasing the duration of your runs over a period of time,

The above is general information to someone, similar to yourself starting back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Currently following a garmin 10K training plan, my 10K times have always been in and around 49mins so I'm aiming for 47mins which is roughly double my parkrun best time.

The difference in this program to say my marathon training programs, is the number of speed training days. These consist of target race pace intervals, the last run was 15min warmup, 15mins at race pace 4-42, 7 min recovery, 10mins at race pace, 5min recovery, 7mins at race pace and then 15min cooldown. Tempo runs, again 15 min warmup/cooldown with a 25min run at just above race pace. Some days were strides of 20secs/1min/2mins at increasingly faster paces (some almost sprinting) these were tough.
    My easy runs were normally at 1min to 90secs slower than race pace and the longer runs were in and around 1hr 30mins at over 6mins per K.

The plan is 16weeks long and on quite a few days I have described the runs as tough (you're asked to rate each run as easy/moderate/tough) but I've certainly gotten fitter. It's a different fittness to my marathon fittness. I would repeat what I have seen elsewhere, that to run 10K you should be able to easily run 15/16K.

The garmin plan is 'confident' I'll do the time, me not so much, but it's keeping me motivated for the last while. Thing is I'll be doing the run by myself, I did the Raheny 5mile last Jan and so remember how so much easier a race is than a run.

My best advice is to find a training plan that suits you and just enjoy the runs, enjoy the body getting fitter and if you hit the time all the better but really just been able to get out and about is enough for me at the moment.

Advertisement