Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

looksee wrote: »
    Large pack of trees, shrubs and plants just arrived this evening from Future Forests! A great unpacking will happen tomorrow!

Soak the roots in water for a few hours.

I'll be getting some of mine next week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All unpacked and absolutely brilliant quality and condition! I have had to heel in all the trees - I thought I was going to pot them for a while, but they are too big and sturdy, so I will really have to get on with planting. Everything else was in pots so I have moved them to slightly larger pots and they will sit happily till I want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Planted out three varieties of raspberry canes today. They arrived from Mr. Middleton during the week. Five each of early, mid-season and autumn.

I don't expect I'll get any fruit on them next year except for maybe the autumn ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Cut the lawn on a very high setting, and dug up a few weeds out of the driveway.

Was out in the garden today planting 30 strawberry plants I got from gardens for Life.

10 each of symphany, Elegance and birdland cottage.

Also planted comfrey and horseradish in pots

stored yacon, apios and tiger nuts for planting out next year

A busy afternoon.
    Glorious day here in North kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Was out in the garden today planting 30 strawberry plants I got from gardens for Life.

10 each of symphany, Elegance and birdland cottage.

Also planted comfrey and horseradish in pots

stored yacon, apios and tiger nuts for planting out next year

A busy afternoon.
    Glorious day here in North kerry.

It’s lovely to see a little activity in the garden on these short, dark, quiet days.

I pulled my coat over my pajamas this morning, threw on my wellies and went for a stroll up my back garden, with a cup of strong coffee as the sun was burning the mist off the lawn. The clouds lingered stubbornly and lazily over Muckish, so I had no view to enjoy my coffee with.

Earlier this year I divided some blue hyacinth bulbs that I bought a few years back from an organic store. I think I originally started with 10 bulbs. I must have quadrupled the stock after splitting them.

So today on my morning saunter, the thing that brought me most joy was seeing their leaves poking through, almost mistaken for blade of uncut grass.

The promise of fresh starts and new beginnings.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

At least the evenings start getting longer after today, albeit slowly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

At least the evenings start getting longer after today, albeit slowly...

Thought the shortest day was 21st December ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The latest sunrise and earliest sunset don't happen in the same day, they're a bit offset. So the sunset starts getting later now, but the sunrise is also getting later too at a slightly faster rate. The end result is still that the shortest day is the solstice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

The latest sunrise and earliest sunset don't happen in the same day, they're a bit offset. So the sunset starts getting later now, but the sunrise is also getting later too at a slightly faster rate. The end result is still that the shortest day is the solstice.

You won't notice either today though :)

• Advertisement

Sure I haven't even opened the curtains yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Today I did something in my garden: pulled one beetroot to put in a stew. That's it. :(

Had a great run of cold, dry weather back in November, and all my outdoor jobs were progressing nicely. Then the month ended with a couple of online orders going astray (one necessary tool started it's journey in Orléans, 200km up the road - straight up the road, no left turns or right turns, just straight up, 2 hours on the motorway ... yet somehow ended up in a distribution centre in Piedmont in Italy? Then came back to Orléans, at which point they lost track of it and were suddenly out-of-stock ... :mad: ) and the weather changed to cold and wet, making it impossible to work my heavy clay soil. :(

So December has mostly been an arts-and-crafts month, with nothing more than an occasional trudge through the mud to look with wonder at the experimental drain I dug, now filled with water. At least that works ... just need to find a way now to keep all that water for the summer. :pac:

I moved and split my two rhubarb crowns. They originally came from Lidl a few years ago. Variety Timperley Early.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Marvelled at the riot of marigolds in glorious flower...They are three years old and still a glory . ( not up to doing more than admiring)

Went for groceries in Lidl at an early hour this morning, and hoped I might pick up a few of the Gaultherias they were advertising. Have just the spot for them. They had, and they were reduced to €1.45 for fine little plants with lovely big berries, so I got 10! I really need a couple of fine days to get some of this stuff in, needs about 48 hours of no rain in order to be able to dig.

I went out on this beautiful afternoon and planted the last 10 trees that had been heeled in waiting for the rain to stop. The day was glorious and I put in 5 silver birches and 4 rowans. The last one was an Aronia that I am not ready for, so I put it in a pot. Also an Acer tataricum that I bought on impulse last week! Haven't planted the Gaultharias yet, or indeed numerous other things I keep buying, they are all safely stashed though and will go out when I get to them.

i need to get out and lift the hazel seedlings that have appeared in the garden. must be nearly 20 by now, i should be able to find takers for some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Wrapped up warm and went out, started working on new flowerbed in the back garden along the fence. Will continue tomorrow depending on weather.

Wrapped up warm and went out, started working on new flowerbed in the back garden along the fence. Will continue tomorrow depending on weather.

Fair dues to you. It was very stormy here in Wicklow. I lit the fire and stayed inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Looks like our outdoor space will be hosting Christmas breakfast with the in-laws tomorrow morning. Very different than normal but looking forward to it. Going to wrap up, put up lights, light the bbq for heat, and serve brekky rolls and fruit punch. Good excuse to tidy up the patio!

• Advertisement

I bought some wood and cement to start on a small greenhouse at a corner of the shed.
    It wont be big but just enough to start seeds. I picked up some free windows a while ago for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Looks like our outdoor space will be hosting Christmas breakfast with the in-laws tomorrow morning. Very different than normal but looking forward to it. Going to wrap up, put up lights, light the bbq for heat, and serve brekky rolls and fruit punch. Good excuse to tidy up the patio!

Me too! I'm planning on having 2 sons, their wives, and our 3 grandchildren for a patio brunch. Bought an infrared heater (will find out if it's any good tomorrow) and I'm going to light the charcoal bbq for additional heat. Sticking up a few garden umbrellas and hoping for the best.
    Have an old Christmas tree in the attic that I plan on putting up on the patio with some lights and will put the presents under that, weather permitting.
    Lots of fruit punch or mulled wine and mince pies.
    Trying to make it as festive as possible.

Happy Christmas to all and here's to a productive gardening year in 2021 and much gratitude for the relief that gardening brought to 2020.

It wont be big but just enough to start seeds. I picked up some free windows a while ago for the purpose.

I've been looking at my local small ads for double-glazed panes of glass to make a really tiny "greenhouse" - just wide/long enough to put over my heated propagator but with sufficient height for things to grow tall. All being well, I'll run it off a small solar panel, old car battery and low-power inverter, so it can be placed wherever suits whatever's inside.

I have timber and perspex (perspex that I have had stashed for nearly 20 years, I knew it would come in useful!) waiting to be a cold frame. Greenhouse would be lovely but not likely to happen at the moment. I do have a lot of seeds to start - will have to be early spring now - and not enough windowsills for them!

looksee wrote: »
    I have timber and perspex (perspex that I have had stashed for nearly 20 years, I knew it would come in useful!) waiting to be a cold frame. Greenhouse would be lovely but not likely to happen at the moment. I do have a lot of seeds to start - will have to be early spring now - and not enough windowsills for them!

Mine will be a glorified cold frame. 8 feet tall, 6 wide and 4 deep. It will really be for starting off seeds.

Sounds good, just about what I would like. No real desire to do year round gardening in a greenhouse, though a few peppers or tomatoes in the summer when the seeds are done would be good.

i want to build a natural looking raised bed using stakes and woven hazel rods, but don't know yet who could supply such things. not that i've looked too hard yet...

I've been looking at my local small ads for double-glazed panes of glass to make a really tiny "greenhouse" - just wide/long enough to put over my heated propagator but with sufficient height for things to grow tall. All being well, I'll run it off a small solar panel, old car battery and low-power inverter, so it can be placed wherever suits whatever's inside.

If you are anywhere near Wexford I have some teak windows that I replaced a while back.
    You are more than welcome to them

TheTorment wrote: »
    If you are anywhere near Wexford I have some teak windows that I replaced a while back.
    You are more than welcome to them

:) Thanks ... but the closest I'm likely to get to Wexford in the foreseeable future is listening to the Wexford Carol performed by the Vienna Boys Choir! (I live in France)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

should i cover my rhubarb from frost or is it hardy enough??

Advertisement