Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray painting

Options
  • 20-11-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am a fairly enthusiastic hobby woodworker but my finishing lets me down on cheaper materials such as MDF. I have a compressor from the day job, a respirator and loads of space to spray safely. I have sprayed projects before with a result that is about 80% as good as a pro. I would love to improve on this aspect but am struggling to find tips or tutorials. Has anyone any links to good online tutorials on prep, mixing paint, gun setup and technique?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Peter Millard's spraying playlist is excellent. He compares and contrast budget and high end guns, as well as showing ways of masking, building a mobile booth etc.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMillard/playlists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'd have a look at 'Spray finishing made simple' by Jeff Jewitt. Its a book and dvd. They give all the basic options and are naturally a little biased towards American products.
    I have to say I once bought an Apollo HVLP compressor at a show and found it useless. Most finishes had an 'orange peel' finish from poor atomization of the varnish/ paint I now use a regular high pressure spray and it is the bee's knees.
    Having a dedicated space would be ideal but www.rockler.com in the US will sell you a pop up tent structure which would get you started.

Advertisement