Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5k and beyond

• 18-11-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im a bit of a lurker on here as never considered myself a runner but have completed the couch to 5k app in recent months and am now 18 days deep in a 5k everyday for movember challenge. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone migth be able to help me with:

5k times: im hovering around 31/32 mins at the moment. Is there anything i can do to get faster?. Any links to explanations on workouts for speed etc would be greatly appreciatted. im 15 stone 7 so dropping more weight would probably help?

Longer Distance: To get from 5k to say 10k should i tag on an extra km once a week or whats the best method?.

Supplements: should i be taking anything to help with recovery?. My diet is pretty good at the moment but i find myself snacking in the evening. With trying to run every day for 30 days should i be trying to up protein or anything to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

For supplements, not really. Dont take them just for the sake of it, only if you are deficient which is unlikely.
    Otherwise its just a waste of money.

For speedwork, you can do repeats. Go out and run 400m x 6 times, with 90 rest in between each one. Try to run times consistent, so last one is as fast as your first

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I've used some of the training plans on here: https://www.runningfastr.com/5k-training-plan/

I started out at about 26/27 minutes a couple of months ago - I'm doing the 22 minute 5k at the moment.

I find the structure easy to follow and have definitely seen results.

Advertisement