Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issues insuring new vehicle

Options
  • 12-11-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

I live in a two car household, I'm insured on one car and my Fiance is insured on the other, then we're named driver's on eachother's cars and we mostly use them interchangeably depending on what we're doing, we've done that for years so we don't think of them as being one belonging to me and one belonging to her.

So we purchased a new car recently, it's replacing her car, but I paid and did all the details with the dealership. After a few months waiting for delivery, the dealership called me today with the registration number, confirming we can pick it up tomorrow.

So we called the insurance company to move her insurance over, but they won't do it without proof that she owns the new car, which she doesn't as it's in my name. I called the garage to ask if they could change it, they're going to look into it but they think we'd lose the SEAI grant's (it's an electric car) so it might be a non-runner.

Phone lines are closed now so couldn't get back to the insurer. Is this standard? I didn't think you had to be the owner of a car to be insured to drive it. They said something about that requirement being waived if she had 5 years no claim bonus, but she doesn't due to a period of living abroad.

We'll need to make some more calls tomorrow to see what we can do. Going to see if it might be possible to move her to my current car, and move my insurance to the new car.

Has anyone had to deal with this kind of situation before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Think it is as simple as you must have some skin in the game. I couldn't insure your car because no matter what happened you car I would not be at a loss. Same would apply to your fiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

quokula wrote: »
    I live in a two car household, I'm insured on one car and my Fiance is insured on the other, then we're named driver's on eachother's cars and we mostly use them interchangeably depending on what we're doing, we've done that for years so we don't think of them as being one belonging to me and one belonging to her.

So we purchased a new car recently, it's replacing her car, but I paid and did all the details with the dealership. After a few months waiting for delivery, the dealership called me today with the registration number, confirming we can pick it up tomorrow.

So we called the insurance company to move her insurance over, but they won't do it without proof that she owns the new car, which she doesn't as it's in my name. I called the garage to ask if they could change it, they're going to look into it but they think we'd lose the SEAI grant's (it's an electric car) so it might be a non-runner.

Phone lines are closed now so couldn't get back to the insurer. Is this standard? I didn't think you had to be the owner of a car to be insured to drive it. They said something about that requirement being waived if she had 5 years no claim bonus, but she doesn't due to a period of living abroad.

We'll need to make some more calls tomorrow to see what we can do. Going to see if it might be possible to move her to my current car, and move my insurance to the new car.

Has anyone had to deal with this kind of situation before?

The insured party has to be the registered owner for private insurance, its to prevent fronting
    i.e John 18, owns an evo 8 but its insured by mammy with John as a named driver, while John is insured on the micra rotting in the back yard.
    Been this way for a long time, never had to prove I own any car or bike I've insured though just a yes when they ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

This would work if she was your wife.

Now you'll need change of ownership form if it's already been registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

You can be insured on two cars on two separate policies but you can only use your NCB on one of the policies. You could take out a second policy and have your wife as named driver but it could be expensive without your NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

User1998 wrote: »
    You can be insured on two cars on two separate policies but you can only use your NCB on one of the policies. You could take out a second policy and have your wife as named driver but it could be expensive without your NCB

Much easier to just transfer his car to her name and continue interchangeably using the cars as they currently do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Tow

As others have pointed out, it is one of the principle of insurance. Marry her or transfer your old car to her. She insures it. You insure your new car.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Yes, you can insure a vehicle registered in your own name or the name of your spouse, partner or co-habitant, or a lease company under a minimum 12 month lease. If the vehicle is registered to anyone else we cannot provide a quote.

This page on Liberty's site (which is who we're insured with) seems to be pretty explicit that it would be ok to insure her on a car that's registered to me. Will try calling them again tomorrow.

As everyone here seems to be suggesting that won't be ok, the best alternative is probably to move my insurance from my existing car to the new car, transfer ownership of my existing car to her, and transfer her insurance to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,140 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would there be issues transfering owenership of car in the first year of ownership if you got the grant for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Transfer the ownership of other car to your fiancee and insure the new one in your name - would that work?

Then transfer your policy to the new car, and her policy to the other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I've purchased two policies from Liberty with myself as the main driver for a car registered in my mothers name before.

Paperwork received 100% reflected this too. No issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

quokula wrote: »

So why not simply transfer your insurance onto the new car and name her on the policy and then get her to transfer the other car and insurance into her name and have you named on it????

Advertisement