Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Graham wrote: »
    No surprise there.

Downturn in aviation, MOL calls Boeing sales. I'm on the way over lads. Drop the pants, assume the position.

That's literally what he said after 911 when he mopped up cancelled boeings

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/the-language-of-business-1.1055252

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

An interesting question would be, who has made the greatest financial loss over the last 6 months: Boeing or Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Fritzbox wrote: »
    An interesting question would be, who has made the greatest financial loss over the last 6 months: Boeing or Ryanair?

If you strip out Boeings US Government subsidies (Military, Space etc. contracts) and look solely at their commercial aircraft business then Boeing by a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well over 3 months April to June Boeing lost $2.4 Billion and Ryanair lost €185 Million

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

W1ll1s wrote: »

I dislike the FAA declining to publicly release all test protocol parameters and data, citing that pile of oft resorted to pile of sh1t called 'commercially sensitive' or 'proprietary'.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/30/918924566/i-like-what-i-see-faa-chief-flies-737-max-but-not-ready-to-recertify-plane?t=1601901375637

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

W1ll1s wrote: »

E.U approval before year end also I read somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whatever about the FAA, can't see how in the current climate EASA can justify grandfathering in a manual trim system that basically doesn't work.

Life ain't always empty.

That's good, the US can let go of their arm now and stop wrenching it up their back. Trade war averted.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's good, the US can let go of their arm now and stop wrenching it up their back. Trade war averted.

A trade war between whom?

Nice to see the MAX will be back in service soon.

Hopefully will see the Max return to flight by year end, if not back into service...may boost some Airlines routes by saving fuel over running older 737's...

A trade war between whom?

Nice to see the MAX will be back in service soon.

The slow-burn one between the US and EU. If EISA had refused certification, particularly given the big lose for Boeing with the latest WTO ruling, and if Trump were reelected, he would be back to stoking the fires quick smart and claiming it was unfair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The slow-burn one between the US and EU. If EISA had refused certification, particularly given the big lose for Boeing with the latest WTO ruling, and if Trump were reelected, he would be back to stoking the fires quick smart and claiming it was unfair.

OT I know, but if Trump gets reelected, he'll find another excuse for his trade war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Ryanair to begin operating the Max in February according to one aviation journalist

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1321457624076951557

ElNino wrote: »
    Ryanair to begin operating the Max in February according to one aviation journalist

Yeah, they'll start one up, take it out onto a large, empty bit of apron, rev it up; do a few donuts and burn outs, shouting weeeeee, then take it back to the terminal and try and remember what passengers looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yeah, they'll start one up, take it out onto a large, empty bit of apron, rev it up; do a few donuts and burn outs, shouting weeeeee, then take it back to the terminal and try and remember what passengers looked like.

Not a lot going to be happening in February. But, if things come back to normal for the summer (fingers crossed, prayers etc) then I can see a roaring trade in holidays abroad as people missed this year's trip. Ryanair will put on cheap tickets and they will be snapped up.

The general public really don't know and don't care what type of plane gets them to the destination.

In a fast moving world, sadly these Max crashes are old news for all but a limited number of aviation enthusiasts.

ElNino wrote: »

That should be interesting, I guess they'll have more of their pilots do test flights or short runs to London and the engineers used to the new aircraft... Hopefully there's some sort of system in place at airports to get people flying again and routes up and running... Should help keep prices down when using the more efficient aircraft...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That should be interesting, I guess they'll have more of their pilots do test flights or short runs to London and the engineers used to the new aircraft... Hopefully there's some sort of system in place at airports to get people flying again and routes up and running... Should help keep prices down when using the more efficient aircraft...

The majority of the first deliveries are going to Buzz in Poland, (that’s the plan) Ireland and the UK will most likely see them on delivery flights.

billie1b wrote: »
    The majority of the first deliveries are going to Buzz in Poland, (that’s the plan) Ireland and the UK will most likely see them on delivery flights.

I'd say a few will be based at STN also with the traditional branding....

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1208995249487368192

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not a lot going to be happening in February. But, if things come back to normal for the summer (fingers crossed, prayers etc) then I can see a roaring trade in holidays abroad as people missed this year's trip. Ryanair will put on cheap tickets and they will be snapped up.

The general public really don't know and don't care what type of plane gets them to the destination.

In a fast moving world, sadly these Max crashes are old news for all but a limited number of aviation enthusiasts.

I think that comment is a little disingenuous.

FAA will have to watch the reintroduction like a hawk, and they will be on top of anything that is not normal operation, even if it's not reportable as such, given how badly they have dealt with the earlier issues.

I would like to hope that EASA will also be very vigilant in ensuring that any unusual events have to be reported to them, with appropriate follow up, given that there are still unresolved issues around some of the grandfather rights that have been used to get this airframe in the air.

It's been clear that if this design had been presented as a new design for certification, it would not have been approved, so it's important that the relevant regulators keep a very close and visible monitor on the reintroduction.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Looks like it’s cleared in the US:
    Pinned Tweet

The FAA Airplane
    @FAANews
    ·
    18m
    The FAA ungrounds the #737MAX. Read the statement and additional information at http://bit.ly/2KlgcNd. #737MAXungrounded

Yeap, Boeing can resume deliveries now and U.S customers can fly them, wonder how long before EASA follows suit....

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1329042312559779841

recently approved tariffs complicate matters for sales in to EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

VRU2IuH.jpg

The order book had taken a hammering even by July of this year. I'd be very curious to see where its at by the end of March 2021 after another 8 months of a fairly dead aviation market. A lot of airlines must be very thankful to have the option to cancel their order without penalty thanks to the 20 months of delays.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The FAA may well be allowing them to fly, I will not be holding my breath on EASA falling in line with that just yet, and they may well require some more specific changes that the FAA have chosen to ignore for now.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The FAA may well be allowing them to fly, I will not be holding my breath on EASA falling in line with that just yet, and they may well require some more specific changes that the FAA have chosen to ignore for now.

I'm pretty sure that EASA have already given the MAX the go-ahead for return to service. What about the Canadian regulator, have they made a decision yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

I'm pretty sure that EASA have already given the MAX the go-ahead for return to service. What about the Canadian regulator, have they made a decision yet?

I think EASA have only issued a timeline for its return but haven't cleared it yet, as such. But I'm sure they will in due course.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The order book had taken a hammering even by July of this year. I'd be very curious to see where its at by the end of March 2021 after another 8 months of a fairly dead aviation market. A lot of airlines must be very thankful to have the option to cancel their order without penalty thanks to the 20 months of delays.

Well, I'd say the likes of Southwest and Ryanair will be keen to get the Max into the fleet as soon as possible, get the pilots and engineers used to the aircraft and then replace their older NG's....

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, I'd say the likes of Southwest and Ryanair will be keen to get the Max into the fleet as soon as possible, get the pilots and engineers used to the aircraft and then replace their older NG's....
    visit Leeham news to read reports this week regarding the complications associated with tariffs for European operators irrespective of whether the plane is certified for Europe or not.

Advertisement