Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

• 08-10-2015 11:11am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Please use this thread for questions along the lines of:

When can I check in online?
    What IFE is on my flight?
    How easy are connections at an airport?
    What service should I expect on my next flight?
    What is my baggage allowance?
    Why can't I buy smokes going to the UK/Europe?
    Will my flight bumpy?
    Can I walk around the airplane?
    etc
    etc

Make sure to read any answers before you post as your question may already be posted. Dont expect an immediate response, this forum is not a helpdesk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Where did the last thread go?

Anyway I will reiterate what I said, I hope people feel free to ask questions in here, theres alot of knowledgeable people on this fourm who would be happy to answer questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Where did the last thread go?

Anyway I will reiterate what I said, I hope people feel free to ask questions in here, theres alot of knowledgeable people on this fourm who would be happy to answer questions!
    I asked a question yesterday, it was answered but the thread deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

McWotever wrote: »
    I asked a question yesterday, it was answered but the thread deleted.
    There was an issue with the merging of some question threads to the original, this is the improved version (read no messed up my me)

What was your question

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dozy11

flying dublin to JFK and onto LAS end of february

have had conflicting answers from my travel agent

all flights with delta

1) are my bags going all the way through?
    2) will i have to change terminals in JFK
    3) what is the ife like on delta?
    4) is it worth $100 each to upgrade to comfort plus seats?
    5) they said just print off the code they gave us and this is all our flights??? Booking reference so ticketless????

Dozy11 wrote: »
    flying dublin to JFK and onto LAS end of february

have had conflicting answers from my travel agent

all flights with delta

1) are my bags going all the way through?
    2) will i have to change terminals in JFK
    3) what is the ife like on delta?
    4) is it worth $100 each to upgrade to comfort plus seats?
    5) they said just print off the code they gave us and this is all our flights??? Booking reference so ticketless????

1)Probably. Delta agents in DUB will check your bag to final destination. As you pre-clear US Customs in Dublin you wil not have to carry your bag across/customs in JFK.
    2)Yes. According to wikipedia DUB-JFK operates to terminal 4 while JFK-LAS operates from terminal 2. Perhaps Delta run a terminal to terminal shuttle? I dont know. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations
    3)Not sure.
    4)Not sure as never tried it.
    5)Yup. Your booking reference is your ticket essentially. You might like to printoff the whole itinerary but the booking reference is the only essential bit.

• Advertisement

Is there any good shops for gifts upon arrival into Dublin airport (after 11pm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Is there any good shops for gifts upon arrival into Dublin airport (after 11pm)?
    You can check all the opening times on www.theloop.ie

You could shop on the way out and collect on your return?
    http://www.theloop.ie/t/ShopCollect

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    You can check all the opening times on www.theloop.ie

You could shop on the way out and collect on your return?
    http://www.theloop.ie/t/ShopCollect

Thing is I'm already away so that's not an option.

Thing is I'm already away so that's not an option.
    Hmm... I hardly call Wrights a gifts shop on the way out to the carparks in T1 or WH Smiths in T2. 'Fraid it looks like you are up the well know creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can anyone explain why when flying in from the US to T5 to connect onwards to Dublin, also from T5 you have to go through security again.

I take this route fairly often and the immigration, boarding pass photo and especially security can suck up up to an hour and make short connections a bit risky, especially given the almost guaranteed 20-30 mins of holding once you arrive above London at the end of your transatlantic flight.

When flying American they tend to give you an express pass which mitigates it by reducing the queue time drastically, but BA just seem to leave you to fend for yourself, and having to leg it from one flight to the next after an overnight transatlantic flight isn't exactly what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Inquitus wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why when flying in from the US to T5 to connect onwards to Dublin, also from T5 you have to go through security again.

I take this route fairly often and the immigration, boarding pass photo and especially security can suck up up to an hour and make short connections a bit risky, especially given the almost guaranteed 20-30 mins of holding once you arrive above London at the end of your transatlantic flight.

When flying American they tend to give you an express pass which mitigates it by reducing the queue time drastically, but BA just seem to leave you to fend for yourself, and having to leg it from one flight to the next after an overnight transatlantic flight isn't exactly what you need.

Simply put - the UK authorities insist on checking everyone that passes through London Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The trick is to ensure you use the UK Domestic/Ireland area at flight connections as that cuts the queue for the queue for security

Rules in the UK are all arriving from non UK airports must reclear security

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

quick question for those in the know: is Are Lingus ceasing CPHDUB on 25th of March, or is simply a case of them not having announced the summer schedule yet? It's not bookable beyond 25/03/16.

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/Aer_Lingus_EI_627

If it's a case of summer schedule not being out yet, when will it be announced / made bookable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Afaik it's canned

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Hi,

I booked a flight for an older relative and she can't be persuaded that the boarding passes I printed for her will get her onto the plane.

The ones they had for years has a bit at the bottom that was torn off at the gate.

Can anyone tell me what the story is with the new passes? Do they rip any off the page on the way through? Haven't been on Ryanair since last year myself.

Apologies for the trivial query, but she might give over if I can tell her what will happen at the gate.

Thanks.

Redditor wrote: »
    Hi,

I booked a flight for an older relative and she can't be persuaded that the boarding passes I printed for her will get her onto the plane.

The ones they had for years has a bit at the bottom that was torn off at the gate.

Can anyone tell me what the story is with the new passes? Do they rip any off the page on the way through? Haven't been on Ryanair since last year myself.

Apologies for the trivial query, but she might give over if I can tell her what will happen at the gate.

Thanks.
    Ryanair have stopped the practice of removing the lower half of the boarding pass sometime ago.

Just assure your older relative that the ticket will need to be scanned at the Boarding Channel/Security Gate Area and then at the Boarding Gate (Passport will also be required at Boarding Gate). Similar to what's done at the supermarket check out.

Based on my own personal experience traveling with elderly relatives, could I suggest that you book Fast Track
    http://www.dublinairport.com/home.aspx
    for you relative to get through the Boarding Channel / Security Gate Area. Depending on the time of day the main Boarding Channel area through to the Security Gate can border on mayhem, this can be quite stressful on an infrequent flyer. Whereas the Fast Track area involves no stress and the staff are most helpful.

You might also contact One Complete Solution, OCS,
    http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/reduced-mobility.aspx
    these guys offer a great service and if your eldelrly relative is traveling solo, they can act as a travel companion from their office in the main departures area, until your relative boards the flight, including a golf buggy ride out to the Boarding Gates. Cannot recommend their service or their staff highly enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pulled due to poor yield - four airlines on the route and 40 quid return fares booked at close in dates are not good things for profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Just wanted to know 100% what the story was.

Thanks a million for that Pat.

Redditor wrote: »
    Just wanted to know 100% what the story was.

Thanks a million for that Pat.

I was printing a Ryanair ticket this evening and I noted that FR now have a new ticket layout. Well since October when I last flew with them.

A4 page now devided into quarter panels which you simply fold in 4, with the Ryanair blue an yellow bording pass banner to the front. Very handy indeed :)

Flew with them just over a week ago very handy indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

When will Aer Lingus be One World?

Inquitus wrote: »
    When will Aer Lingus be One World?

NO idea really.
    The integration into IAG will be the priority, this could take 12-18 months. IAG want their own set-up in place, then EI need to be proposed as a member, then the existing members have to vote. I guess a lot depends on the existing business model at EI. They have codeshares/interlining agreements with United, OW membership will alter these. Perhaps they will have to wait till these agreements are nearing the end?
    I would hazard a wild guess for early/mid 2017 at the earliest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

not sure if I'm asking in the right place so sorry if I'm getting it wrong

heading to melbourne for xmas, going dublin - abu dhabi and then abu dhabi - melbourne. both flights (according to the tickets) are on a boeing 777-300er. aer lingus to Abu dhabi, etihad on to melbourne flying economy for both of them ( :( )

according to my googlings, both planes should have AC power in economy so I can plug a laptop in for the duration.. does anyone know if this is accurate? one of the websites I checked mentioned something about an rj45 socket for each seat too, does this mean it will have internet?

I've flown once, to portugal on ryanair, in the last ten years so I'm not at all familiar with what is typical on planes these days especially on long flights. sorry if these questions seem impossibly naive :)

Tis not Aer Lingus your going to Abu Dhabi with anyway, its Etihad

Tis not Aer Lingus your going to Abu Dhabi with anyway, its Etihad

the ticket definitely says aer lingus. is that just some sort of ... i dunno... licensing thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

strelok wrote: »
    the ticket definitely says aer lingus. is that just some sort of ... i dunno... licensing thing?

Its called a codeshare. Ticket sold by one airline but operated by another.

Above is correct,

Aerlingus don't fly to Abu Dhabi nor do they have 777's. They flew to Dubai a few years ago in my recollection.

anyone know if you can plug a usb stick/media device into the usb ports on the etihad 777-300er to play your own content on the seat tv's? or are they just for charging devices

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IrishAir98

I just read somewhere that passengers travelling on domestic flights from DUB have access to fast track security is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Yes it's called Dublin airport flash track as far as I know

Advertisement