Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing schools CID

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Am I wrong in thinking that the difficulty in going for an RPT job interview is that someone may have already completed year one in the school, yet the school are obliged to re interview ( even though they may be happy with the teacher who has completed year one and want to re employ them) and as such the other interview attendees may be at nothing having given up their time, put themselves at expense to get to the interview, expended their energy to put in a good interview performance and still get nothing at the end... Because the school were happy with the original teacher all along, wanted to reemploy them and just had to go through the motions and charade of re interviewing.What a waste of time for all concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Blaizes wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that the difficulty in going for an RPT job interview is that someone may have already completed year one in the school, yet the school are obliged to re interview ( even though they may be happy with the teacher who has completed year one and want to re employ them) and as such the other interview attendees may be at nothing having given up their time, put themselves at expense to get to the interview, expended their energy to put in a good interview performance and still get nothing at the end... Because the school were happy with the original teacher all along, wanted to reemploy them and just had to go through the motions and charade of re interviewing.What a waste of time for all concerned!

You're not wrong at all. This is the current system in Ireland, a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Spot on. From experience and observations any interview in June are mainly for re-employment. August it seems when the job is genuinely up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tbh I would think anything is up for grabs. Where I work is a perfect example. God only knows who gets what jobs!! I have seen shocking things.

This is from a rpt ad I saw “This vacancy is subject to sanction by DES and may lead to permanency for the right candidate..“
    It sounds like they don’t have anyone.

I know someone who is in a job and it has been readvertised and it says “fixed term”. Hopefully the girl will get rehired. It is a secondment.

I read in Irish Times on Monday that a survey of principals and vice principals said Irish (1st) and Home Ec (2nd) were the two subjects that they found hardest to recruit and retain staff in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Not always the case. I was not rehired after giving so much to a school due to parochial politics.Even in my old school where I was permanent over 10 years we lost a few fantastic teachers already in the school who achieved so much for the school lost out on full hrs or being CID due to relations of management straight out of college wanting a job. It is such a farcical system and this is never discussed in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

Similar to the OP I have 22hr CID Maths teaching job in my current school in Dublin. I'm keen to move West closer to home and with the system the way it is I'm resigned to having to start from the bottom again and working my way up again.
    My dilemma is I looked, admittedly half heartedly, last year and very few positions were advertised. Am I foolish to start throwing CVs randomly into schools with no advertisements for posts? Ideally I will move this year but at the same time I won't move for the sake off it. I genuinely have a really good number where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Similar to the OP I have 22hr CID Maths teaching job in my current school in Dublin. I'm keen to move West closer to home and with the system the way it is I'm resigned to having to start from the bottom again and working my way up again.
    My dilemma is I looked, admittedly half heartedly, last year and very few positions were advertised. Am I foolish to start throwing CVs randomly into schools with no advertisements for posts? Ideally I will move this year but at the same time I won't move for the sake off it. I genuinely have a really good number where I am.

If I were you I would be talking to any teachers you know back home. They will know if jobs are real jobs or just readvertising a job that’s already filled. Even get chatting to local teachers / principals over the summer, tell them you are only willing to move for a genuine job with chance of CID and ask them to let you know if anything arises. If you aren’t in a rush, you can wait till such a job comes up.

If I were you I would be talking to any teachers you know back home. They will know if jobs are real jobs or just readvertising a job that’s already filled. Even get chatting to local teachers / principals over the summer, tell them you are only willing to move for a genuine job with chance of CID and ask them to let you know if anything arises. If you aren’t in a rush, you can wait till such a job comes up.

Be careful with what principals you talk to. I left a CID job after 12 years after principal promised me I would be CID. It was job share originally advertised which I turned down first but principal promised me that he would give me 22 hrs including my own 11 of which leads to CID and teacher would retire in the next year. I have so called subjects Irish and MFL where no school can find a teacher ( roll eyes) Did so much for school including fantastic feedback from inspector in my class at the end of year in a WSE. I examine up to leaving cert oral and written exams. Fast forward a year teacher retires and both my subjects advertising separately 22 hrs - I get nothing!!! Even way I am treated coming up to both interviews ( of which I had to keep emailing principal and only told two-days before when it was on and on a Saturday morning) is appalling. Have done subbing and short term work since then but my advice is after my experience to be very careful as a new teachers after so long in an old school. A few jealous teachers can stab you in the back so don’t reveal too much of what you have achieved to staff as a new staff member.

Snapgal wrote: »
    Be careful with what principals you talk to. I left a CID job after 12 years after principal promised me I would be CID. It was job share originally advertised which I turned down first but principal promised me that he would give me 22 hrs including my own 11 of which leads to CID and teacher would retire in the next year. I have so called subjects Irish and MFL where no school can find a teacher ( roll eyes) Did so much for school including fantastic feedback from inspector in my class at the end of year in a WSE. I examine up to leaving cert oral and written exams. Fast forward a year teacher retires and both my subjects advertising separately 22 hrs - I get nothing!!! Even way I am treated coming up to both interviews ( of which I had to keep emailing principal and only told two-days before when it was on and on a Saturday morning) is appalling. Have done subbing and short term work since then but my advice is after my experience to be very careful as a new teachers after so long in an old school. A few jealous teachers can stab you in the back so don’t reveal too much of what you have achieved to staff as a new staff member.

Snap gal that is awful. Are you in Dublin?

Millem wrote: »
    Snap gal that is awful. Are you in Dublin?

I know. Pepple dont hear half the horrible stories in teaching at all - everyone is afraid to speak out in this country. No, I was in the east for over 12 years and moved for that job that was promised to me. Since then there was in a lovely school where there was redeployment and took a job share in another county - about 1 hr communte from me. Was a lovely school and have to say that school my confidence was brought back - I was an oral examiner twice in that school when I was teaching in the east. Such a big school but they remembered how kind I was to students. Both staff/managemt and students really appreciated me. Was in a very low state after what happened to me in other school - was nearly going to give up teaching but my confidence came back. My LC students bought me beautuful present and five of them achieved H1s. Only offer school could give me was another job share but a job in my home county about
    40 min commute with own hrs 22 hrs turned up so took it. Again, it is the time of year where I dont know if I will get back. Have heard of few teachers not getting back and studenta tired of turnover of staff in my subject so havw started the job hunt for another summer - again since leaving CID four years ago :(

• Advertisement

I know. Pepple dont hear half the horrible stories in teaching at all - everyone is afraid to speak out in this country. No, I was in the east for over 12 years and moved for that job that was promised to me. Since then there was in a lovely school where there was redeployment and took a job share in another county - about 1 hr communte from me. Was a lovely school and have to say that school my confidence was brought back - I was an oral examiner twice in that school when I was teaching in the east. Such a big school but they remembered how kind I was to students. Both staff/managemt and students really appreciated me. Was in a very low state after what happened to me in other school - was nearly going to give up teaching but my confidence came back. My LC students bought me beautuful present and five of them achieved H1s. Only offer school could give me was another job share but a job in my home county about
    40 min commute with own hrs 22 hrs turned up so took it. Again, it is the time of year where I dont know if I will get back. Have heard of few teachers not getting back and studenta tired of turnover of staff in my subject so havw started the job hunt for another summer - again since leaving CID four years ago :(

That is awful. If you had taken job share year 2 then even did another job share there year 3 would you of gotten a CID?

Not always the case. I was not rehired after giving so much to a school due to parochial politics.Even in my old school where I was permanent over 10 years we lost a few fantastic teachers already in the school who achieved so much for the school lost out on full hrs or being CID due to relations of management straight out of college wanting a job. It is such a farcical system and this is never discussed in the media.

Yes totally get what you are saying, posted about this on another thread the kind of parish pump politics thing where the person with the local connection or a relative of school principal/ management gets the job, it’s almost a tired topic at this stage because it seems to be going on all the time yet nothing ever changes.

That is awful. If you had taken job share year 2 then even did another job share there year 3 would you of gotten a CID?

Believe me it was a massive decision to take but more than likely teacher who had taken job share was coming back in year 3 - where would that leave me? Back to square one again. Also it was in another county so hence realistically would have to move again. This position I am in now arose due to teacher retiring. Full hours. I have just come to conclusion that if this does not work out for me due to parochial/gaa politics am leaving teaching. After 16 years experience, almost 5 years after leaving my own permanent decision and and farce of a recruitment system am so tired of it and need to think of my future at my age - I have dedicated so much of my life to teaching and seeing way other teachers are treated am just so tired by it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 taking the leap

Some scary stories here! Is educationposts the best place where jobs are advertised?
    Does anyone know when city of dub vec advertise?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Spot on. From experience and observations any interview in June are mainly for re-employment. August it seems when the job is genuinely up for grabs.

Not always,we have had a few in the last three years re interview and not get the job...they thought it was just a formality !! replaced by outsiders in most instances.

solerina wrote: »
    Not always,we have had a few in the last three years re interview and not get the job...they thought it was just a formality !! replaced by outsiders in most instances.

This happened in my school too.

From closing date does anyone know when interviews take place? A few jobs eg etb closing this week or last week....how long would it take them to short list?

Thanks

Believe me it was a massive decision to take but more than likely teacher who had taken job share was coming back in year 3 - where would that leave me? Back to square one again. Also it was in another county so hence realistically would have to move again. This position I am in now arose due to teacher retiring. Full hours. I have just come to conclusion that if this does not work out for me due to parochial/gaa politics am leaving teaching. After 16 years experience, almost 5 years after leaving my own permanent decision and and farce of a recruitment system am so tired of it and need to think of my future at my age - I have dedicated so much of my life to teaching and seeing way other teachers are treated am just so tired by it

Really hope it works out for you but you are right recruitment system is a farce, with all that teaching experience no way should you be turfed out but valued and welcomed onto a teaching staff as an asset with automatic CID rights. When will they get it right?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Yep you never know. I got into my current school by being given the job over someone who had been in the school a year already.

Not always,we have had a few in the last three years re interview and not get the job...they thought it was just a formality !! replaced by outsiders in most instances.[/quote

And that’s why people will and do leave teaching.

Hi all,
    Just wondering how long does it take (after closing date) for shortlisting to take place?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement