Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAA - Red - Long Term Car park

• 30-07-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

I booked a stay at this car park from

Arrival at car park:

24/07/2014 04:00

Leave car park:

29/07/2014 04:00

Paid 29.90

I accidently did not specify the correct time of return since I thought it was done on a daily rate. I returned at 7:30am.

Was charged an extra 9.50 on exit. Felt a bit shafted sure charge an extra day but why not give it at the rate I orginally booked for. Just left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is done on a daily rate - you booked for 5 days and stayed in to a sixth

They charge the day rate because at peak times they can actually be entirely full and that's the driveup rate they missed getting as a result.

This was all in the T&Cs when you bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

MYOB wrote: »
    It is done on a daily rate - you booked for 5 days and stayed in to a sixth

They charge the day rate because at peak times they can actually be entirely full and that's the driveup rate they missed getting as a result.

This was all in the T&Cs when you bought.

Everything is always in the T&Cs. I phoned them up to ask about the charge so I didn't argue that point. Just think its not very customer friendly. It wasn't as if I overstayed by a long time and with delays that can occur in airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Xcellor wrote: »
    Everything is always in the T&Cs. .

Of course it is, the onus is on the provider to set out the charges and on the purchaser to educate themselves before you buy, then once you make the purchase you are agreeing to T&Cs. They are there for your protection.

To be fair, this is an automated service where cost is calculated on a daily basis. Most would put in the exit time as flight arrival time plus one hour. You input a time which corresponded with the time you entered, I think you knew what you were doing when you did this and hoped to get an extra couple of hours free of charge, doesn't work when it's a computer applying the charges.

This isn't a rip off, it's someone being charged for what they agreed to when making their purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Did you know you would not be arriving back until after 4am or was your flight delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

davo10 wrote: »
    Of course it is, the onus is on the provider to set out the charges and on the purchaser to educate themselves before you buy, then once you make the purchase you are agreeing to T&Cs. They are there for your protection.

To be fair, this is an automated service where cost is calculated on a daily basis. Most would put in the exit time as flight arrival time plus one hour. You input a time which corresponded with the time you entered, I think you knew what you were doing when you did this and hoped to get an extra couple of hours free of charge, doesn't work when it's a computer applying the charges.

This isn't a rip off, it's someone being charged for what they agreed to when making their purchase.

Estimated flight arrival time + 1 hour is pretty tight depending on circumstances.
    Would defo add on 2-3 hours this time of year to be safe, busy airports either site of journey, pickup of luggage, delays in dispatch, waiting for the bus transfer etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Xcellor wrote: »
    Everything is always in the T&Cs. I phoned them up to ask about the charge so I didn't argue that point. Just think its not very customer friendly. It wasn't as if I overstayed by a long time and with delays that can occur in airports.

actually its is extremely customer friendly.

You are charged for each 24 hour period or part thereof starting from the time you enter and not from the start of the day.

so enter at 2pm Monday, leave at 1.30pm Friday and you are charged for 4 days - many places would charge you 5 days.

In your case you stayed for 5 full days + an extra few hours. Unless your flight was delayed, you had a good idea as to the time you were leaving the carpark, but possibly thought you might "getaway" with it :)

Unfortunately in these computerised days, you don't get away with it, but I think they do allow a one hour grace period.

The extra stay is counted a one full day on a separate contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

kippy wrote: »
    Estimated flight arrival time + 1 hour is pretty tight depending on circumstances.
    Would defo add on 2-3 hours this time of year to be safe, busy airports either site of journey, pickup of luggage, delays in dispatch, waiting for the bus transfer etc etc.
    I hold my hands up and say it's my fault I was in a rush put the dates in.

Just would be nice customer service to give the price which was paid online. I'm relatively sure when I stayed an extra 3 weeks in car park before I got charged the rate I paid online. Which is why this felt like a change of policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The online rate was a pre-booking promotion; you went over that and used a space at the day rate. Which you were charged for at the day rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

L1011 wrote: »
    The online rate was a pre-booking promotion; you went over that and used a space at the day rate. Which you were charged for at the day rate.

What happens if you arrive early?

What happens if you arrive early?

Check the T&Cs for the specific carpark, usually your end time is moved forward by the same minutage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement