Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have seen the L bus out and may be new drivers as the ones seen had no uniforms on. Possible mechanics but doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

anyone apply and hear back from DB I see theyve taken their recruitment advert down

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thebrick

Dublin bus hiring is a good thing, all those who say they would do the job for €20,000 now have there chance to be payed €32,000.
    They wont be able to criticize the next time the drivers go on strike.

With all honesty i would say to all bus enthusiasts put your name in for the job.
    The beginning when you are spare is a pain , but once marked in the job is decent.
    Im a driver and if you have any questions ask here.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

thebrick wrote: »
    Dublin bus hiring is a good thing, all those who say they would do the job for €20,000 now have there chance to be payed €32,000.
    They wont be able to criticize the next time the drivers go on strike.

With all honesty i would say to all bus enthusiasts put your name in for the job.
    The beginning when you are spare is a pain , but once marked in the job is decent.
    Im a driver and if you have any questions ask here.

I'm a driver too, being spare is a pain, you make it sound like people are only spare for a short while. I'm spare almost 8 years and will be spare for another 7 or 8 years.

So that's a lot of pain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm a driver too, being spare is a pain, you make it sound like people are only spare for a short while. I'm spare almost 8 years and will be spare for another 7 or 8 years.

So that's a lot of pain

I would stop short of calling it "pain".

Sure it can be inconvienient,disruptive and downright mind-numbing when your rostered duty conflicts with some other element of one's life,however I would suggest that the shiftwork nature of Dublin Busdriving actually allows more flexibility than other employments.

However this is all hugely personal,and largely depends upon one's view of the working/living balance.

The ONLY filter,I would suggest an individual need apply,is whether they recognize the FACT that we,as Busdrivers,commit to WORKING when EVERYBODY ELSE is OFF.

IF this causes you to go HMmmmmmm :confused:,then this Job is NOT for you,Full Stop :( !

This is not Dublin Bus specific and is an intrinsic part of Mass Urban Transit operations worldwide.

Sure it is addressed in different ways by different operators,but I would challenge anybody to find a Capital City Public Transport Operation where Employees enjoy the ability to enjoy the exact same rest & recreation opportunities as their customers.

I regularly hear colleagues speaking about people they know who work for "London Transport" or whatever and who enjoy FAR better hours and conditions of work.....Usually it will be a second or third hand account and will,as a result,have benefitted from much addition and embellishment.

That fact is,that Public Transport Operations worldwide,particularly Busdriving,depends upon having large numbers of employees available at these hours of operation,and these same Operations ALL feature the same scenarios in terms of what we call "Spare" operation.

Some countries work around these requirements by employing Part-Time/Casual driving staff,which tends to be supported by State Supports paid to these individuals based upon their social welfare status.
    Thankfully,although some attempts are continually made to deride it,the Dublin Bus Driver positions are FULL-TIME jobs,albeit with different core-hours of availability (IE: Late Thurs-Sun/Fri-Mon).

The numbers of current Staff who are describing these new jobs as Part-Time is,IMO,sad even worrying,as it appears to indicate these people do not know the difference between a FULL-TIME and a PART-TIME Job.

The notion that a person could enter the Job,and spend only a short period on the spare rotas,was only true during a specific period when Staff Turnover was very high.

Dublin Bus has enjoyed a very high Staff Retention ratio for many years now,something which any applicant might perhaps consider as a more accurate barometer of the Job than any amount of "Canteen Talk" or disaffected gasbagging,which tends to form an integral part of any large scale company.

Busdriving today,is a highly focused occupation which entails bringing together many disparate functions and skills.

As Humans,we cannot always manage to combine ALL of these functions effectively ALL of the Time,but the Training and Development regime should allow MOST successful applicants to achieve a high average which can then be maintained and improved upon.

BUT...If you're NOT comfortable with working regular late or week-end duties,then walk-on-by...at some speed !!!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I would stop short of calling it "pain".

Sure it can be inconvienient,disruptive and downright mind-numbing when your rostered duty conflicts with some other element of one's life,however I would suggest that the shiftwork nature of Dublin Busdriving actually allows more flexibility than other employments.

However this is all hugely personal,and largely depends upon one's view of the working/living balance.

The ONLY filter,I would suggest an individual need apply,is whether they recognize the FACT that we,as Busdrivers,commit to WORKING when EVERYBODY ELSE is OFF.

IF this causes you to go HMmmmmmm :confused:,then this Job is NOT for you,Full Stop :( !

This is not Dublin Bus specific and is an intrinsic part of Mass Urban Transit operations worldwide.

Sure it is addressed in different ways by different operators,but I would challenge anybody to find a Capital City Public Transport Operation where Employees enjoy the ability to enjoy the exact same rest & recreation opportunities as their customers.

I regularly hear colleagues speaking about people they know who work for "London Transport" or whatever and who enjoy FAR better hours and conditions of work.....Usually it will be a second or third hand account and will,as a result,have benefitted from much addition and embellishment.

That fact is,that Public Transport Operations worldwide,particularly Busdriving,depends upon having large numbers of employees available at these hours of operation,and these same Operations ALL feature the same scenarios in terms of what we call "Spare" operation.

Some countries work around these requirements by employing Part-Time/Casual driving staff,which tends to be supported by State Supports paid to these individuals based upon their social welfare status.
    Thankfully,although some attempts are continually made to deride it,the Dublin Bus Driver positions are FULL-TIME jobs,albeit with different core-hours of availability (IE: Late Thurs-Sun/Fri-Mon).

The numbers of current Staff who are describing these new jobs as Part-Time is,IMO,sad even worrying,as it appears to indicate these people do not know the difference between a FULL-TIME and a PART-TIME Job.

The notion that a person could enter the Job,and spend only a short period on the spare rotas,was only true during a specific period when Staff Turnover was very high.

Dublin Bus has enjoyed a very high Staff Retention ratio for many years now,something which any applicant might perhaps consider as a more accurate barometer of the Job than any amount of "Canteen Talk" or disaffected gasbagging,which tends to form an integral part of any large scale company.

Busdriving today,is a highly focused occupation which entails bringing together many disparate functions and skills.

As Humans,we cannot always manage to combine ALL of these functions effectively ALL of the Time,but the Training and Development regime should allow MOST successful applicants to achieve a high average which can then be maintained and improved upon.

BUT...If you're NOT comfortable with working regular late or week-end duties,then walk-on-by...at some speed !!!! :eek:

also add in,fare dodgers,dealing with the public/drunks/junkys.being verbally abused by same, being asked the same stupid questions every single day,
    trying to short change you on the ticket price,car and taxis blocking the bus lane,
    your last run at night will be full of drunken gob****es,who would rather kill you,than pay the 2/3 euro fare....otherwise tis a grand job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

Can anyone tell me exactly what being Spare means in Bublin Bus.

I'm guessing it means not being on a set roster or route for many years, but how does it work ?

Do you have any set days off that you know you will not be rostered ?

Will you always get a weekend off every 2/3/4 weeks ?

Or is is the case that you get a roster say on Friday for the following week and you have no way of knowing which days, routes or times you will be working until you get this roster ?

Thanks.

also add in,fare dodgers,dealing with the public/drunks/junkys.being verbally abused by same, being asked the same stupid questions every single day,
    trying to short change you on the ticket price,car and taxis blocking the bus lane,
    your last run at night will be full of drunken gob****es,who would rather kill you,than pay the 2/3 euro fare....otherwise tis a grand job :rolleyes:

All rookie problems, within a year none of it will bother you.

Grandad99 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me exactly what being Spare means in Bublin Bus.

I'm guessing it means not being on a set roster or route for many years, but how does it work ?

Do you have any set days off that you know you will not be rostered ?

Will you always get a weekend off every 2/3/4 weeks ?

Or is is the case that you get a roster say on Friday for the following week and you have no way of knowing which days, routes or times you will be working until you get this roster ?

Thanks.

You know which days you are not working, that cant be changed.
    You only find out what duty you are working when you get a text around 0930 today to tell you what you are doing tomorrow.

So realistically, a 5 day rotating roster will be many years away for new entrants.

In the interim you guaranteed days off, I'm guessing will probably be mid week, so no weekends off.

And your hours for working days are only notified the day before.

I have no issue working nights or weekends, but all nights initially and all weekends for many years, and not knowing until the day before if you are on earlys, mid's, late's or a combination, must make life very difficult trying to plan anything around family, childminding, social or other commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So realistically, a 5 day rotating roster will be many years away for new entrants.

In the interim you guaranteed days off, I'm guessing will probably be mid week, so no weekends off.

And your hours for working days are only notified the day before.

I have no issue working nights or weekends, but all nights initially and all weekends for many years, and not knowing until the day before if you are on earlys, mid's, late's or a combination, must make life very difficult trying to plan anything around family, childminding, social or other commitments.

This is exactly the point I try to make.

The individual must attempt to decide for themselves whether they wish to work within these constraints.....I'd recommend that anybody who sees this form of working as an imposition,really needs to look elsewhere.

Otherwise you will be faced with a Job which you start out hating,and believe me,it will not improve from this level....:(

Some people however DO find the job quite difficult as Stella Virgo outlines..
    Also add in,fare dodgers,dealing with the public/drunks/junkys.being verbally abused by same, being asked the same stupid questions every single day,
    your last run at night will be full of drunken gob****es,who would rather kill you,than pay the 2/3 euro fare....otherwise tis a grand job

Not to take away from Stella Virgo's points in any way,but "Dealing with the Public" is the essence of the job and cannot be worked around,all of the other elements described can and do occur,but if you end up experiencing it on every journey then something is very much amiss.

IF,however,you can square away the basic compatibility with working hours issue,then it's a damn good job.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

So initially the job will be for 4 nights between Thurs and Mon.

There is a possibility of getting a five day rolling roster, but before you get this you would be spare for many years. (Some are still spare after 8 years)

Spare means guaranteed 2days off which might not be together and will probably be Mon – Fri, so never a weekend off.

You are notified the day before of your shift for the following day which could be early, mid, late or a combination, this would continue to be the case as long as you are spare.

Putting all the other issues aside is my assessment of the job being offered regarding rosters, days off, notification of duty’s etc correct ?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

So initially the job will be for 4 nights between Thurs and Mon.

There is a possibility of getting a five day rolling roster, but before you get this you would be spare for many years. (Some are still spare after 8 years)

Spare means guaranteed 2days off which might not be together and will probably be Mon – Fri, so never a weekend off.

You are notified the day before of your shift for the following day which could be early, mid, late or a combination, this would continue to be the case as long as you are spare.

Putting all the other issues aside is my assessment of the job being offered regarding rosters, days off, notification of duty’s etc correct ?

Thanks.

No the job being offered is a 4 day week always late duties, always weekends.

There is the possibility of moving to a 5 day week rota, as space becomes available that would be earlies and lates , with 2 days of per week and initially it is a junior spare cycle with one weekend off in 6 weeks. As space becomes available you could move up to the senior spare rota, that is 2 weekends off in 5 weeks.
    Then eventually you can get marked in ie follow a particular rota that would be one or two routes.

At present the most senior spare drivers would be 10+ years spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Its a long time since I was in Dublin Bus but I would imagine that it would take longer again to get marked in in say Summerhill or Clontarf than other garages and that an initial marking-in might be on one of the let's say more unsociable routes.

clunked wrote: »
    Its a long time since I was in Dublin Bus but I would imagine that it would take longer again to get marked in in say Summerhill or Clontarf than other garages and that an initial marking-in might be on one of the let's say more unsociable routes.

People getting marked in at the moment are in the job 9 and a half - ten years and its not getting any better. Anybody coming into the job now shouldn't be thinking that they will get their own route any time in the near future. You get s days notice of what your working and it could be any route in that garage.

You won't be asked to do a route from a different garage in case you were thinking that.

clunked wrote: »

Yeah they would probably be more senior but 10+ seems to be across the board. A good few garages regularly have no vacancies for marking in. TBH by the time anyone joining now would be senior enough to get marked in it is not worth worrying about unsocial routes they will have had plenty of them at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

According to the recent cost cutting agreement with the unions new drivers will be on the 4 day ( all late shifts ) weekend roster for a maximum of 2 years but with a bit of luck it might be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Hi all and best of luck to all that apply for the job.

I am a driver myself and have been driving many years now and like anything in life the job has it's ups and downs.

I like to drive so I applied and went through the process all starting with the interview then called to do aptitude test, then you are brought for a test drive in a car or van to see if you can handle that, then you are sent to training school for as far as I can remember 2 weeks minimum(may have changed). They will train you whether you have experience or not to make sure you are up to their high standards.

One thing I would like to add is that you all say it's a great job and I have to disagree to a degree.
    You are going to be dealing with the public who will eat away at you and if you have any feelings at all leave them behind if you take the job as you will deal with all sorts from the nicest of people to the type you wouldn't p**s on if they were on fire.
    The hours and rosters are very bad and extremely poor if you are any way at all new. It is getting to the pointwhere 8 and 9 year service you are still spare and on a completely different roster to those who would have been on the proper roster up to max year and half.

Over the years I have been attacked verbally and physically, spat at, followed by other road users and also blocked in and not let out for reasons god only knows as the cops wouldn't even figure out what was the other peoples problem. I have had incidents involving threats with knives and syringes including the odd bomb threat(crazy talk).

I find that the aggresion in people is on the rise and you will get a lot of you are lucky to have a job and why are you all going out of service and why are there 2 or 3 buses together and so on ....

Firstly , fair play , you guys do a fairs days work for very little thanks. It is tough dealing with all sorts.
    Do you know if many drivers who are involved in serious accidents return to work and if they feel they can't return does Dub bus look after them?
    I'm thinking of the driver of the 145 on Nassu St and the 27 on Greenhills Road

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

So that's a lot of pain

What is a spare?

Rabbitt wrote: »
    What is a spare?

When you start in the job you are a spare driver. Spare means you can be put on any route in the garage and you only get a days notice. It has its good points and bad points.

Good point would be you don't do the same route every day do you get a bit if variety.

Bad point is you only get a days notice and can't always plan stuff because you don't know if you will be early, middle or bogey (bogey is usually 7 - 7 with a long break)

Although new drivers starting now will be all lates starting off so that will give you a bit of structure. You know you will be off every morning and won't be starting work til about 3 or 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Gary10r

When you start in the job you are a spare driver. Spare means you can be put on any route in the garage and you only get a days notice. It has its good points and bad points.

Good point would be you don't do the same route every day do you get a bit if variety.

Bad point is you only get a days notice and can't always plan stuff because you don't know if you will be early, middle or bogey (bogey is usually 7 - 7 with a long break)

Although new drivers starting now will be all lates starting off so that will give you a bit of structure. You know you will be off every morning and won't be starting work til about 3 or 4
    I drive a bus for a private operator and have all the hassles & good points you speak off driving for Dublin Bus but with out the salary, structure et al, love dealing with the public but its the 3% ters , that will never be happy in anything they do in life that try & **** up your day if you let them.. anyway i got a letter from DB yesterday to go & do a written assessment this sat morn, does anyone know what this assessment might entail, thanks

Gary10r wrote: »
    I drive a bus for a private operator and have all the hassles & good points you speak off driving for Dublin Bus but with out the salary, structure et al, love dealing with the public but its the 3% ters , that will never be happy in anything they do in life that try & **** up your day if you let them.. anyway i got a letter from DB yesterday to go & do a written assessment this sat morn, does anyone know what this assessment might entail, thanks

Aptitude test, few simple questions on stages, but they give you a book to work out the answers, and do a written report on an accident, like a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get use to writing out reports as anything and everything can happen from passenger injuries such as trips, falls, bumps and so on.

Collisions and that are common also as others most of the time misjudge spaces or try and bully their way past you.

My name may give away some of the punishment I have given out:D.

Many a crash in my time.

Thanks to all for the information, much appreciated.

I too have been shortlisted and invited to attend for the assessment this coming Saturday.

My current family circumstances are best served knowing when I am working, which I have in my current job, so I have thanked D/B for considering me and withdrawn my application.

I think the job been offered will be very attractive to many, particularly those currently working for private operators for far less money and are on call at much shorter notice, with no guaranteed hours, and have no prospect of improvement in their conditions.

Good luck to all.

Thanks to all for the information, much appreciated.

I too have been shortlisted and invited to attend for the assessment this coming Saturday.

My current family circumstances are best served knowing when I am working, which I have in my current job, so I have thanked D/B for considering me and withdrawn my application.

I think the job been offered will be very attractive to many, particularly those currently working for private operators for far less money and are on call at much shorter notice, with no guaranteed hours, and have no prospect of improvement in their conditions.

Good luck to all.

Well, for the first couple of years you would know what you are working. Weekends and late. It's when you progress to the 5 day week with a weekend off every so often is when it gets unpredictable.

But good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Get use to writing out reports as anything and everything can happen from passenger injuries such as trips, falls, bumps and so on.

Collisions and that are common also as others most of the time misjudge spaces or try and bully their way past you.

My name may give away some of the punishment I have given out:D.

Many a crash in my time.

I honestly haven't filled one out in years maybe 10 or more. Touch wood...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I know one driver who is "spare" and another two who are marked in on specific routes.

They all seem to have quite varying shifts from week to week. The guy who is spare seems to be able to swap with other drivers very easily and can work when suits as he doesn't mind working in the evenings and can nearly always swap off the morning jobs.

I wouldn't think it would be a huge problem. It goes with the territory of being a transport worker!

Just a little tip for anybody going for the written assessment.
    Safety in the yard is important, so if you wear a high viz vest to the training school that might get you a couple of bonus points. There is a big push on safety at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gary10r

Just a little tip for anybody going for the written assessment.
    Safety in the yard is important, so if you wear a high viz vest to the training school that might get you a couple of bonus points. There is a big push on safety at the moment

The written assessment tomorrow is in the Teachers Club in parnell square, thanks for that though.

• Advertisement

Gary10r wrote: »
    The written assessment tomorrow is in the Teachers Club in parnell square, thanks for that though.

Really? They usually use the training school in phibsboro depot

Are you going for it? Best of luck if you are.

Advertisement