Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Darkglasses's game log

• 19-12-2013 12:19am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I've loved playing minecraft on xbox 360 but I think I have to make the plunge and start playing it on pc. Problem is, although my laptop is fairly new it seems a little bit underpowered for playing Minecraft on normal settings, just going on playing the demo. What would be the most effective video settings to turn down/off to stop the screen skipping etc?

I don't really care much about looks at all, as long as I can play happily. Turning off clouds seems to have worked well, but turning my visible chunks down to 2 was maybe asking a bit much.

Also, playing minecraft on a laptop without a mouse is horrendous :o must root out a mouse asap!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Also, do special offers or discounts ever happen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You probably want to get a hold of Optifine when they get a 1.7.4 version out: http://optifine.net/downloads.php

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

For a vanilla client, you could try these settings:

From youtube

Video Settings-
    • Graphics -- Fast
    • Smooth Lighting -- Off
    • 3D Anaglyph -- Off
    • GUI Scale -- Auto
    • Brightness -- Personal Preference
    • Particles -- Minimal
    • Fullscreen -- Personal Preference
    • Render Distance -- Normal -- Tiny (Depending on your PC)
    • Performance -- Max FPS
    • View Bobbing -- Off
    • Advanced OpenGL -- (Depending on your PC)
    • Clouds -- Off
    • Server Textures -- Off
    • Use VSync - Off

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Finally got around to buying and playing the full version tonight. Had played through the demo a few more times, was super excited, what would my new world be like? Will I find a mesa?

Jeeeeeesus. I dropped into the world's largest birch forest biome, seemingly surrounded by extreme hills on all sides. The two ugliest things imaginable. Built the world's ugliest house to match it, with three basements full of chickens. tomorrow I'm gonna try to get my stuff together to try to find a proper biome to make my real house in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I wouldn't dis the extreme hills, you want your emeralds at any stage you'll be looking for them again ;)

• Advertisement

The Snipe wrote: »
    I wouldn't dis the extreme hills, you want your emeralds at any stage you'll be looking for them again ;)

Yes indeed! It was also very handy for getting a stack of coal early on, exposed resources FTW. Too ugly to live in though! Gonna find myself a little place by the beach maybe...

After a bit of hunting around I've found a place for my "fancy" house. Since i'm still surrounded by it, I decided to make it mostly from birch wood planks, even though I don't love the look of it. It's perched on the top of an extreme hill with the sea on two sides, and a nice mountainy view on the other sides. Construction is going well, I'm going for a kind of ikea look.

Found a large ravine and cave system beneath my ugly house, so that'll be where I do my caving and mining I suppose. Not a long commute, only about 500 blocks :pac:

Thoughts? A bit barebones so far but I'm going to keep it minimalist. Think I'll layer the roof with some grey wool and more glass. Will put some sugar cane inside the house ASAP. The floor is all slabs, so I make sugar cane appear to grow from beneath the floor.

Not sure how I feel about the floating blocks, think I'll make it slightly bigger and put a garden on it.

Made the storage/smelting room beneath the house, and hopefully below that I'll have a battery chicken farm. Unfortunately, my diamonds chest is still empty :(

Will build something into cliff-face between the tree and that cave entrance that links into the main house, will probably do that after the floating garden

Starting to hollow out the cliff and make new rooms in it, I think this looks fantastic :D

Going to stick my enchanting table into the new room, and find an elegant way to link it to the main house. Will eventually put a similar hollowed out room between the waterfall and the lava.

Minecarts! :D

• Advertisement

Still hard at work...I have a nice flowing stairs going all the way through the cliffs, pleased with that. There's also a hidden entrance through the waterfall on the left, makes it a lot easier to get back inside!

Will remove the nether portal, it ruins the look of that nice window. And it puts me in a really crappy part of the nether anyway.

Is the waterfall on the right a bit too big? I think I'll put it a bit lower...

Also, there's literally no bloody diamonds in this seed. I also can't get any spiders to spawn for string. This game is much easier on Xbox!

Haha literally just this second I went up to take the waterfall away...When the source block froze. No more waterfall from that height. That makes the decision a bit easier! :D

Also, going to put a giant quartz tree growing out of the water. That is going to look AWESOME.

looks to be going pretty well so far! :D

First day back after a Call of Duty related hiatus.

My indoor farm is developing nicely, and I have started a sheep/cow farm away from the house.

I've moved the portal into the middle part, and netherrack is starting to grow out of it...Spooky...

And my quartz tree is starting to grow ^_^ I've never built my own tree before, any tips for making it look natural would be very welcome. I want it to be massive, although that slightly depends on how much quartz I can mine..

Growing the quartz tree, it's still looking a bit sketchy but it's getting there..

Got a sweet Yoshi skin :D

Given up on the idea of a floating garden, made a nice approach to the house instead.

Suggestions and criticisms are always welcome!

In particular, the next thing I have to do is build a bridge. It'll be pretty big, about 30 blocks of river to cross. Have tonnes of cobble stone, and can get plenty of oak, spruce and birch wood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

What's so bad about the xbox version that you had to change?

I've never played it.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    What's so bad about the xbox version that you had to change?

I've never played it.

It's not terrible, but there are quite a number of limitations that make it worth playing PC instead.

First thing is the missing biomes. Extreme hills, mesa, taiga, savannah, and all the things that go along with it are missing. Really makes the game a bit blander. Extreme Hills has been around for a long time, so doesn't look they're ever going to include it.

Second big thing is the missing items. Hoppers, stained clay, stained glass, dyeable sheep. Again, limits the game. Means you can't make really good automated farms, which are very fun to design. There's also more redstone stuff missing in the Xbox version, but I'm not an expert on that.

The map size in Xbox is just a bit too small. Infinite map size on PC is definitely better.

Using a mouse is definitely better than a controller. I'm a console gamer for practically everything else, but the mouse definitely makes more sense on Minecraft.

I actually prefer having to craft manually. Might not be true for everybody, but I get a bit of a kick out of learning crafting recipes.

Then there's the whole online multiplayer thing. Definitely the PC version wins here. If you've watched stuff like Achievement Hunter let's plays, you'll see even on LAN it's shockingly bad. PC has more variety and loads a heck of a lot better.

• Advertisement

Suggestions and criticisms are always welcome!

In particular, the next thing I have to do is build a bridge. It'll be pretty big, about 30 blocks of river to cross. Have tonnes of cobble stone, and can get plenty of oak, spruce and birch wood.

Find some dark oak, dark oak is a very nice wood! :D

The Snipe wrote: »
    Find some dark oak, dark oak is a very nice wood! :D

There's actually loads of it around on my continent, it's almost entirely made up of forests. Only wood missing is jungle.

I think I'm going to have to make it out of stone though, I've two double chests full of it and I don't really fancy making a castle, as I made 3 good ones on Xbox.

Cobblestone bridge is coming together. Will include some cyan wool for colour. Have seen some pictures of great dark oak houses, will definitely build one at the other end of this road thingy I'm building..

Advertisement